Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
CTV.ca | Beer company pulls billboard ads mocking Toronto

Beer company pulls billboard ads mocking Toronto

"Updated Tue. Aug. 18 2009 6:24 PM ET
ctvtoronto.ca
A billboard campaign in B.C. for Coors Light Beer that mocked Toronto's reputation for social chilliness will be wound down after the company received complaints.
The campaign featured a can of the mass-produced beer with the text: "Colder than most people from Toronto."
It reportedly ran on about 30 billboards in Canada's westernmost province.
On the social messaging service Twitter, Molson Coors Canada spokesperson Ferg Devins wrote Tuesday: " Coors Light sincerely apologies to ANYONE who was offended by our Colder Than billboards in BC. We are removing ASAP.""

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It was just announced that the signs are coming down. They were stupid anyway.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Calgarians (in fact westerners) have been considered hicks by easterners. We don't care though. We have the money.

I was thinking the same thing... I doubt to many Calgarians or Albertans in general, would care very much. It seems that we are too busy making fun of ourselves sometimes to pay any attention to what others are saying about us!:lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It seems that we are too busy making fun of ourselves sometimes to pay any attention to what others are saying about us!:lol:

Yes, some Albertans just don't care how silly they look

barney

Electoral Member
Aug 1, 2007
I'm guessing that the reaction is not very different than a billboard calling BCers a bunch of lazy hippies or Calgarians a bunch of cowboy hicks would have generated.

Maybe but the thing is Albertans are not mostly hicks and BCers are not mostly hippies. I know Toronto and can tell you that these people can be cold as ice.

There are actually two varieties of coldness in that city: timid and psycho (the first is like women that are incapable of returning the favour when you smile at them and the second is like what you regularly encounter on the Toronto stretch of the 401).

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
I've lived in Toronto all of my life and find the city to be a warm and friendly place. I've been across Canada, and yes they are a little more friendly than here, but I'd hardly call Toronto cold. More reserved yes, as big cities around the world are often wont to be, but not cold.

The problem is more the chip on the rest of the country has on their shoulder about this city than is actual reality.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Who was the schmuck who came up with that one? No only is Coors~lite terrible beer, but they work hard to appeal to the stupidest of men. For starters, cold isn't a taste no matter how cold. Since they bought Molsons they have been going great guns to give Canadians some sort of identity. Not like we don't have one now. And worst of all, they offer to pick a few of those that enter their near beer swilling contests a chance to hit on some greasy hookers at a weekend drinking binge.

Granted to a few people, this is going to be about as good as it gets. But really these guys are a portion of what makes Canada but to a larger measure America look like we have our share of dumbass young adults getting their moral code from tv and wondering why life sucks by the time their old enough to have a couple kids and a baby mamma.