Federal Govt Should Start Changing Foreign Aid to Microfinance

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The federal govt in Ottawa spends about $1 billion a year on foreign aid. It should transferring 1% a year, starting at 5% of the total, to microfinance organization kiva.org . The money paid back can refinance other microloans in a virtuous circle.

Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website

Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website

July 24, 4:00 PM
Charlotte Christianity Examiner
Bob Diamond

“Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs around the globe.”

Through Kiva you can help hardworking and deserving entrepreneurs in more than 180 countries. Most of the time you can make a difference in their lives for less than a couple of hundred dollars.
I first learned about Kiva through the Internet marketing guru Ed Dale. Ed Dale gained a lot of deserved attention when he created a free Internet marketing course called the 30 Day Challenge .
Ed has made millions of dollars selling Internet web sites. He wants to share his good fortune with others who haven’t been as fortunate as he has been.

Kiva - The 30DC Recommended Charity
The 2009 free internet marketing class training begins on August 1.

Kevin H. Davis another Internet entrepreneur has put together a web page that shows his experience with Kiva. > My Kiva Loans | Kevin H Davis - Speaker, Mentor, Marketing Coach

You don’t have to be an international banker. All you have to do is to sign up with Kiva. They have done all the work. You can be matched up with hundreds of enterprising people that need your help right from your laptop.
Here’s an example of a loan for $125 that was made to Jerry Clavete that was used to help him with a small motorcycle delivery business and small store in the front of his home in the Philippines.

Kiva - Jerry Clevete

Repayment Schedule for Jerry Clevete
Expected Repayments Actual Repayments

May 2009 $31.25 $31.25 Repayment Received
June 2009 $31.25 $31.25 Repayment Received
July 2009 $25.00 $25.00 Repayment Received
August 2009 $25.00 $37.50

There was no September payment because he actually paid it off a little early in August.

Kiva’s impact
According to the Kiva web site:

Total value of all loans made through Kiva: $80,352,510
Number of Kiva Lenders: 520,867
Number of countries represented by Kiva Lenders: 184
Number of entrepreneurs that have received a loan through Kiva: 194,892
Number of loans that have been funded through Kiva: 115,092
Percentage of Kiva loans which have been made to women entrepreneurs: 82.82%
Number of Kiva Field Partners (micro finance institutions Kiva partners with): 103
Number of countries Kiva Field Partners are located in: 48
Current repayment rate (all partners): 98.50%
Average loan size (This is the average amount loaned to an individual Kiva Entrepreneur. Some loans - group loans - are divided between groups of borrowers.): $415.27
Average total amount loaned per Kiva Lender (includes reloaned funds): $154.58
Average number of loans per Kiva Lender: 4.36

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Canada could also quit sending foreign harm. We're still shipping asbestos to 3rd world countries. Canada should do a lot of things, IMO.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
We also recently started exporting war. Not a good thing.

Why we are exporting war to Afghanistan when we could be helping local people with their own projects without our "expertise" would be a good thing for all. They know what they want to do and if they fail, it's only a piddling amount of money gone. So what, big biz in Canada wastes billions every year. MF allows many small startups until people get it right in their own way without our "help".

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Why we are exporting war to Afghanistan when we could be helping local people with their own projects without our "expertise" would be a good thing for all. They know what they want to do and if they fail, it's only a piddling amount of money gone. So what, big biz in Canada wastes billions every year. MF allows many small startups until people get it right in their own way without our "help".

Yup! Just think of all the good things that could have come out of all that money we squandered on the war. I'm beginning to think we watch too many Hollywood movies.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Why we are exporting war to Afghanistan when we could be helping local people with their own projects without our "expertise" would be a good thing for all.

Well there is a reason for that. 19 out of 20 trained in Afghanistan then came to the US and killed some 3000 people in collateral damage. No attempts to limit civilian casualties there. When asked to stop doing that and hand over the leader who sent them over, the US was told to prove their claim and the Taliban (aka insane fundimental religious kooks) will judge whether their friend and guests were guilty of anything.

Apparently the Taliban miscalulated the effects of finger wagging religious bull**** on the West.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well there is a reason for that. 19 out of 20 trained in Afghanistan then came to the US and killed some 3000 people in collateral damage. No attempts to limit civilian casualties there. When asked to stop doing that and hand over the leader who sent them over, the US was told to prove their claim and the Taliban (aka insane fundimental religious kooks) will judge whether their friend and guests were guilty of anything.

Apparently the Taliban miscalulated the effects of finger wagging religious bull**** on the West.
Yup! We got plenty of finger wagging religious bull**** of our own wagging in the opposite direction. Have we inflicted 3000 civilian casualties on them yet? I think the biblical eye for an eye has been over achieved.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yup! We got plenty of finger wagging religious bull**** of our own wagging in the opposite direction. Have we inflicted 3000 civilian casualties on them yet? I think the biblical eye for an eye has been over achieved.

If you don't like to get hit, don't pick a fight.
Being ever so careful not to hurt civilians is part of the mission. No so for the other guys. Bringing aid and helping peaceful people rebuild what was destroyed long before we got there. I suspect Afghanistan would be quite a different place all together if it were treated like Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Afghanistan attacked the WTC buildings. Now you got to be suffering some kind of vitamin defects to believe rubbish like that comic book stuff. The mission is the conquest and total subjugation of the region and nothing else. The method is creative destruction following the time honoured devices of the global bankers, any other explanation is juvenile nonsence.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quoting Unforgiven
Well there is a reason for that. 19 out of 20 trained in Afghanistan then came to the US and killed some 3000 people in collateral damage.
Trained in Afghanistan but had adresses on US military bases in the US? How does that compute? Also how does some of those 19 being alive compute?

Please explain in detail with facts.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
And the damage done that we are supposed to be rebuilding was caused by the US of Aggression bombing the crap out of their infrastructure and leaving the country back in the stone age.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
And the damage done that we are supposed to be rebuilding was caused by the US of Aggression bombing the crap out of their infrastructure and leaving the country back in the stone age.

The country was in the stone age from 30 years war. Not to mention the Taliban blasting ancient Buddist historical sites cause Allah don't like em. :roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Trained in Afghanistan but had adresses on US military bases in the US? How does that compute? Also how does some of those 19 being alive compute?

Addresses on US Military bases?

We all know the "some are still alive" has been proven as unfounded. That was like me committing a crime and dying in the process and you coming forward and saying that you were me.

Please explain in detail with facts.

May I ask you to do the same with the military addresses?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't trust the Canadian government's foreign aid policy. From what I've read and, in some cases, observed with my own eyea abroad, it's either incompetent or insincere. I'm not sure which, but it's definitely one or the other.

I think one solution would be for the Federal government to allow a certain percentage of our personal taxes to be deductible via contributions to foreign aid via a registered charity of our choosing.

Just last night on CBC's the News Hour, there was coverage of Canada's asbestos exports to India, causing all kinds of illness and death among those handling the stuff. Canadian politicians had been approached as to why they have not yet banned the export of the stuff when its use is banned in Canada itself!

Remember the Opium Wars, where Britain had banned the use of opium in Britain yet was fighting China for having done the same thing and refusing to open its borders to British opium? Same thing.

When I was in China, I'd seen some books aimed mainly at the Chinese middle to upper classes, funded in part by the Canadian International Development Agency. Is it sincere in its aid efforts to China or is it simply trying to promote a brain drain to Canada of China's educated class?

Seriously, I'm giving the Federal government the benefit of the doubt in saying it's incompetence, but in reality, I worry that it had nothing to do with competence, but rather with lack of ethics and dubious objecties and motives.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Quebec jobs is also Canadian jobs, and those Quebecers working those mines are paying federal taxes too. The whole of Canada is equally complicit.

All of Canada is complicit, but it would be nice to hear a Quebec politician speak out against these killer asbestos mines.

Now back to microfinance. This seems like a good way to get ordinary to expand their own local markets and create jobs. Too much of Cdn aid is to create jobs in Canada. Yet the bumbling bureaucracy in Ottawa just ignores what is good for developing nations and they waste our money.