Jeremy Clarkson offends the Germans (again) and the Poles

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Due to recent historical events, poking fun at the Germans - who the British think of as possessing no sense of humour - is a great British pastime.

Jeremy Clarkson is no exception.

Jeremy, the presenter of the BBC motoring series Top Gear, must be taunting the Germans at least once a month, and he was at it again on a recent episode of Top Gear.

The presenter has made a spoof car advert that jokes about Germany's invasion of Poland, which caused Britain and France to declare war on Germany and so starting World War II.

The spoof advert is for the Volkswagen Scirocco TDI and contained a clip of people in Warsaw panicking and rushing to board trains and buses to escape the city.

It ended with the tag line: 'Volkswagen Scirocco TDI. Berlin to Warsaw in one tank'.

The show aired on Sunday night and was watched by 6.7 million people. Some members of the PC Brigade complained on internet message boards.

It's not the first time Clarkson has caused controversy amongst some people.

This year, on Top Gear, he has called the Prime Minister a "one-eyed Scottish idiot" and also said he is a "****."

Last year, more than 500 people complained after the presenter made a remark suggesting that lorry drivers murder prostitutes.

Jeremy Clarkson in hot water again after sparking complaints over Polish World War II joke

By Liz Thomas
05th August 2009
Daily Mail

Under fire: Jeremy Clarkson has offended some German and Polish people with an advert intended as a joke

He has upset the Germans once before.

Now Jeremy Clarkson may have done it again, this time probably also offending the Poles just for good measure.

The presenter has made a spoof car advert that jokes about Germany's invasion of Poland, which led to the Second World War.

Scores of angry viewers complained to the BBC, media regulator Ofcom and on online message boards after it was shown on Sunday night's Top Gear show, watched by 6.7million.

Don't mention the war! The hapless Basil Fawlty, of BBC comedy series Fawlty Towers, once got driven mad by a group of German guests at his hotel, causing him to goose-step wildly

The spoof advert, for the Volkswagen Scirocco TDI, contained a clip of people in Warsaw panicking and rushing to board trains and buses to escape the city.

Joking about the car's fuel economy, it ended with the tag line: 'Volkswagen Scirocco TDI. Berlin to Warsaw in one tank' - a reference to Adolf Hitler's decision to invade Poland.

The clip has been posted on video-sharing website YouTube prompting a debate about whether it was disrespectful or a simply a harmless joke.

Some accused Clarkson of being xenophobic, with one angry viewer accusing him of supporting the far right. Others viewed the advert as a bit of fun.

One blogger wrote: 'The video was made as a joke and it was funny. Success. Some people are simply devoid of a sense of humour. God help the rest of us.'

Another said: 'In an age when we have to run scared of legally imposed political correctness - Jezzer says it for us. First time I've laughed at or even paid attention to an advert in years.'

The mock advert featured Polish people running away...

... before revealing the 'joke' that the Volkswagen Scirocco could drive from the German to Polish capital on just one tank of fuel, playing on the claim that Hitler invaded easily in World War II

Clarkson is well known for his forthright and outspoken views and it is not the first time he has made a dig at the Germans.

In 2005 he gave a Nazi salute on Top Gear while discussing a the German-made Mini.

After saying that the car's indicators should go up and down, demonstrating with the salute, he went on to joke that the vehicle might have a GPS system 'that only goes to Poland'.

A spokesman for the BBC2 show said it had only received a handful of complaints, although Ofcom figures are understood to be higher.

Tasteless? Jeremy Clarkson and James May introduce the advert

Clarkson also made headlines last month after telling a live Top Gear audience off-air that Gor-Brown was a ****. He was given a dressing down by BBC bosses over the comment, but the presenter insisted that because filming had not started he had no reason to retract the statement.

Earlier in the year Clarkson was forced to apologise after calling the Prime Minister a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot'.

Last year, more than 500 people complained after the presenter made a remark suggesting that lorry drivers murder prostitutes.

The advert appeared on the finale of the last episode of the current series of BBC's Top Gear, presented by Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and James May, and sparked complaints to the BBC and Ofcom

The episode on Sunday was the last in the present series. Clarkson had caused speculation that the show was being axed when he said during the programme: 'This feels like an ending.'

But the BBC has confirmed that it will return in November.

Clarkson said he would keep making the show as long as people watch, saying: 'I couldn't think of anything I'd want to do more.'

'I can assure everyone I'll be back in November doing Top Gear. We're filming the next series and already have several things in the can.'

READERS' COMMENTS

I thought the advert with the Berlin to Warsaw piece funny and clever and I am surprised it could be described as xenophobic. What also surprises me though is the fact that there seems to be no complaints so therefore no problem with them simulating a man blowing his brains out at 8.30pm on a show that I'm sure an awful lot of children watch. Have we become so desensitised to violence that we can ignore things like that but still complain about imagined xenophobic remarks. Am I missing something here? Do we only complain about the things Harriet Harman tells us to complain about?
- Jeff Davies, Deeside, North Wales

Had it been Monty Python, it wouldn't have done more than ellicit a laugh... PC crowd needs to get a thicker skin.
- John, Pittsburgh, PA

You know what Jeremy we love you! This is absolutley pathetic God help us all!
- Ad, Middlesbrough, UK

Has the ever-so-PC population of this country no sense of humour? Jeremy Clarkson is one of the funniest men on the planet, and an excellent presenter too, as are Richard and James. Wonderful entertainment, long may it continue!!
- Polly, Wigan

The spoof ad made me laugh out loud. It may have offended some people, but anything in life will offend a certain number of people (swearing, religion, feminism, fashion, etc, etc). This guy has a great sense of humour. He can't be anti-German as he has owned several German cars in the past. Get a life, people!
- Shona, France

hasnt anyone got a sense of humour anymore ? The people who complained are just the sort you wouldnt want living next door, moan , moan , moan .
- Chuds, Exeter, Devon

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
A joke about the Nazi invasion of Poland is not funny. Sorry, this is no pc deal. the goof on Top Gear has an awesome gig and saying dumb things get you into trouble. Surprise, you have to be responsible for your words.

Didn't England originally make the MIni? Now it's made by who? the Germans. Hmm, the bigger joke might be on the English here. Do the English mass produce any cars?