Time To Kick The USA When It's Down, End Hyphenated Americanism

dumpthemonarchy
We in Canada, Mexico, Honduras, Chile, Brazil are either North, South, Central, South or Latin Americans. Time to end the hyphenated Americans like we ended Irish, French, English, German, Chinese Canadians some years back.

Let's see who the USA lackeys are here.

Columbus discovered America, not the USA. Sorry.

Liberalman
????

dumpthemonarchy
Canada needs to extend its range. Our "North America" only includes the US, the atlas says something different, as does NAFTA. Time for some efficient rationalization here, eliminate the prefix. We're all Americans from the Arctic to Tierra del Fuego.

Liberalman
We have to remember that this is a global economy that is in a crash and burn cycle where protectionism is becoming the norm so NAFTA will soon crumble because of the Buy American clause

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

We in Canada, Mexico, Honduras, Chile, Brazil are either North, South, Central, South or Latin Americans. Time to end the hyphenated Americans like we ended Irish, French, English, German, Chinese Canadians some years back.

What are you on about????

The Americans being called Americans???

We are too, but so are they....I mean the nation is the United States of America.........what would you have them call themselves........Statese???Unitarians??????

They can call themselves Americans if they like....I take no offense.....

Polygong
Although the US deserves to be chastised for not coming up with a proper name for their country opting instead for a vague description, I agree with Colpy, I have no need to describe myself as American.

Just curious, what word is used to refer to people form the United Arab Emirates?

The use of "North America" to refer to only to Canada and the US I think is incorrect though. It should include at least Mexico and really everything from Canada down to Panama including the Carribean. I think that's how geographer's generally define North America anyway.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by PolygongView Post

Although the US deserves to be chastised for not coming up with a proper name for their country opting instead for a vague description, I agree with Colpy, I have no need to describe myself as American.

Just curious, what word is used to refer to people form the United Arab Emirates?

The use of "North America" to refer to only to Canada and the US I think is incorrect though. It should include at least Mexico and really everything from Canada down to Panama including the Carribean. I think that's how geographer's generally define North America anyway.

Not really. From the southern boarder of Mexico to Panama is Central America.

ironsides
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Wrong, Columbus discovered the Bahamas (named it San Salvador), ., there was no America back then.

lone wolf
What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.

sirlorenzo
Columbus wasn't even the first to discover "America" anyways. The vikings did it way before he came about.

Curiosity
Has someone reincarnated Pierre? Wonderful - I'd love to see OB and PT hugging hahaha....

lone wolf
Oh, Fuddle-Duddle.... There's an image I'd rather not have washing its feet in this head....

ironsides
Saint Brendan of Birr. Discovered America
Born 460, Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland
Died c.577 Annaghdown; buried Clonfert
Patronage boatmen, mariners, sailors, travelers, watermen, whales

Ron in Regina
America was occupied before the Johnny-come-lately's from Europe re-discovered
America. I think Somebody beat them to "discovering America."

DurkaDurka
The US was discovered and settled by the reptilians, true story.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

The US was discovered and settled by the reptilians, true story.

Them's mah dawgs yo!
Last edited by Unforgiven; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 03:25 PM..

Polygong
Quote: Originally Posted by sirlorenzoView Post

Columbus wasn't even the first to discover "America" anyways. The vikings did it way before he came about.

And the Mongols were here before them.

ironsides
Mongols may have been here before Columbus, but they did not exist when man first discovered America 25-50 thousand years ago.

Ron in Regina
There is much contention as to who and when America was first discovered. One
camp (the one I'm in) believes America has been discovered in successive waves
from several directions repeatedly.

The more we learn about the history of early America, the more we'll learn just how
little we know now, and how amazing that early history really was.

lone wolf
Funny thing how some 'o those hyphens don't have Polynesian or Druid or Mongolian ahead of 'em....

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

There is much contention as to who and when America was first discovered. One
camp (the one I'm in) believes America has been discovered in successive waves
from several directions repeatedly.

The more we learn about the history of early America, the more we'll learn just how
little we know now, and how amazing that early history really was.

All the research I did for my Ghost Peoples book lead to that conclusion. Remains from African, European, Asian, Australian and Polynesian ancestors have been found in various parts of the Americas going back before the last Ice Age..

It is too bad we don't spend the time and money Egypt does on our history. On Sunday I am going to a working dig at Lemon Creek in the Slocan Valley. They have found a very large native village site that out dates anything found to date in western Canada. This village site is larger and older than the one I was caretaker of in '89 - 80 to a few hundred pit house sites. I'm stoked. I'm hoping to get new information to add to my book on the Sinixt people.

lone wolf
How else can one explain similarities between Asian and North American cultures?

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

How else can one explain similarities between Asian and North American cultures?

That is in the west. In the east their cultures were much closer to European. Their stone tools were more sophisticated but similar to early Europeans. DNA of Inuit people in the east are closer to Siberian than Alaskan Eskimos. Kennewick Man, a 9000 year old skull found in Washington State is thought to have originated in Europe or India.

taxslave
Columbus was a piss poor sailor. And our biggest mistake was permitting his crew in with out proper immigration papers.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

That is in the west. In the east their cultures were much closer to European. Their stone tools were more sophisticated but similar to early Europeans. DNA of Inuit people in the east are closer to Siberian than Alaskan Eskimos. Kennewick Man, a 9000 year old skull found in Washington State is thought to have originated in Europe or India.

Right on the money, honey.
People should read Adovasio's "The First Americans". It's an enlightening bit of anthro.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

Right on the money, honey.
People should read Adovasio's "The First Americans". It's an enlightening bit of anthro.

I'll look it up. What is the publishing date? Have you read 1491? Pretty up to date stuff in there.

AnnaG
hhmmm. brb. I'll go see.
June 2003 Th3e full title is "The First Americans: In Pursuit Of Archaeology's Greatest Mystery"
Yes, I read "1491". It's a bit similar to "The First Americans", in that it points out errors in customary thought about peoples of North America.
I read Adovasio's book after it, so I guess that's why I didn't think of it.

gopher
Columbus discovered America?

LOL! That's like someone seeing your home for the first time, barging into it, and claiming to have discovered it all of a sudden.

darkbeaver
RaceandHistory.com - BLACK CIVILIZATIONS OF ANCIENT AMERICA (external - login to view)

Every surviving race of men has been in the Americas at one time or another and some that no longer exist.

ironsides
Sure looks like African's were here also.