RCMP officer promoted after harassment complaint tossed

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
RCMP officer promoted after harassment complaint tossed

July 15th, 2009 · No Comments

(CBC News) – Six weeks after a sexual harassment complaint was dismissed due to procedural errors, the RCMP officer at the centre of the issue was promoted.
Sgt. Tim Korman is currently stationed in Rosthern, Sask., but four years ago when he was a corporal in the Buffalo Narrows detachment he was accused of sexually harassing an officer under his supervision.
An investigation determined the allegation was well-founded, but a discipline process related to the complaint was terminated because the Saskatchewan commander at the time, Darrell McFadyen, botched the paperwork.
The case was examined by an internal review panel, which dismissed the matter on March 18.
Chief Superintendent Garry Jay, the manager of human resources for the RCMP in Saskatchewan, told CBC News that the Mounties were obliged to promote Korman, as soon as he qualified for advancement. Jay told CBC News that Korman’s promotion was approved six weeks after the review panel dismissed the harassment complaint.
“The reason for preventing Mr. Korman — Cpl. Korman, now Sgt. Korman — from participating in a promotion process in the past was the outstanding discipline,” Jay explained. “Where that discipline failed to come to fruition, he was entitled to a promotion to sergeant, and that promotion has been provided to him.”
Jay said the problem with poor paperwork affecting a disciplinary process has happened before with the RCMP, but added the Mounties were changing procedures so that sort of problem does not happen again.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The guy probably should have been promoted, given the system they are operating under, if things had been done properly two guys would have been fired.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Time limits for crimes to be tried are bogus.

What exactly do you mean, Niflmir??

In Canada, for crimes such as murder, there is NO statute of limitations.

For crimes such as allowing China to post on CC, always knocking Canada, there is no punishment.................go figure.

Just doesn't seem right somehow. Or, as China would say: "juts doeznt' seam rigth soemhowe.".........whatever

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It could also have been that on second or third look, the harassment charge was considered frivolous or not serious enough to ruin a man's career over. I don't know all the facts so I'm guessing like everyone else.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm in Regina. I followed this one in our local paper. It was just
a burocratic mess of procrastination throughout. That's all...and
had nothing to do with this guys guilt or innocence. It was waffled
and the ball was fumbled.

The big question was....did this happen through corruption or
through incompetence. Either was, it's a very bad scene.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
lol at Nuggler.

What I mean is, if there is a crime it shouldn't be ignored just because it took a certain amount of time to get the evidence/get the paperwork through the bureau of redtape.