Silly Religious Article On Front Page Of Van. Sun Paper

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
This drivel was on the front page of the Vancouver Sun newspaper on Saturday, July 11/09. I thought I woke up in Alabama in one of those bible belts.

Inexplicable recovery could lead to new saint

Inexplicable recovery could lead to new saint

By Gerry Bellett, Canwest News Service, July 12, 2009

R ev. John Horgan knew a dying man when he saw one. Years of working as a hospital chaplain had seen to that.
So when he saw Peter Andersen in Vancouver General's intensive care unit on the afternoon of July 3, 2008, he didn't need anyone to tell him that Andersen's situation was grave.
His bloodstream was teeming with the bacteria from two flesh-eating diseases. His kidneys and other organs had failed. He appeared to be within hours of dying.

etc.x blah blah blah, don't want to waste much space here.

javascript:jumpToAnchor('#Comments')

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
WOW! Don't wait to see if science can figure it out. Let's just go straight to the superstitious explanation and stick with it. roflmao
Sure science hasn't figured everything out, but that's not a good reason to go leaping to mystical hogwash.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Why ask me? Aren't you used to asking a mystic for answers?

(BTW, Les is still up north. I was using his account)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
WOW! Don't wait to see if science can figure it out. Let's just go straight to the superstitious explanation and stick with it. roflmao
Sure science hasn't figured everything out, but that's not a good reason to go leaping to mystical hogwash.

And if these people want to believe it was divine intervention, who does it hurt? I'm not particularly religious but I know a few good people who are. I may not share their beliefs but I don't deny them their right to those beliefs.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It possibly hurts themselves and depending on how zealous they are about it, they could possibly hurt others. In the 9 or 10 Crusades alone there were over 10 million people killed. Shi'ites and Shia are killing each other because they can't even agree about their shared religion.
I know a few, also, and I wouldn't deny their rights to believe what they like either. But you know darned well that people shrug off scientific explanation regardless of its accuracy to favor of mysticism.

Anyway, my point being that a lot of people tend to yell "ghost" when they can't figure out a phenomenon and stick with the ghost explanation even after science has come up with the real explanation..

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
And if these people want to believe it was divine intervention, who does it hurt? I'm not particularly religious but I know a few good people who are. I may not share their beliefs but I don't deny them their right to those beliefs.

Sure people can believe what they want, but a story about miracles on the front page of a major Canadian newspaper? This is laughable. This should have been in a religious newspaper, that is where it belongs. Some days I feel like cancelling my subscription to the Sun when I see drivel like this. It is a joke.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Just reject the very first sentence and you see that the story is crap.

Clearly he did not. Clearly it did not.
But I really liked this bit,"So when he saw Peter Andersen in Vancouver General's intensive care unit on the afternoon of July 3, 2008, he didn't need anyone to tell him that Andersen's situation was grave." A grave situation in an intensive care ward? Go on!!! Gotta love reporters. They can be a real howl sometimes

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Anyway, my point being that a lot of people tend to yell "ghost" when they can't figure out a phenomenon and stick with the ghost explanation even after science has come up with the real explanation..

Scientific explanations can be somewhat prosaic. They state the facts and you can't fight it. Your relative leaves you forever and you're life is wrecked. The pseudo certainty of religion and its huckster salesmen see an opportunity here.

Lately a slick salesman for World Vision came around to try to sell me the $30 a month to save some kid in Africa. Man, was he smooth. But the guilt trip won't work any more. Plus, I now equate aid for Africa with corruption.