Obama calls on Africa to end corruption

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Too rich !!!

Quotin mister Bammy: """No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves, or police can be bought off by drug traffickers," Obama said. "No business wants to invest in a place where the government skims 20 per cent off the top, or the head of the Port Authority is corrupt. No person wants to live in a society where the rule of law gives way to the rule of brutality and bribery. That is not democracy, that is tyranny, and now is the time for it to end."

But, don't that sound a helluvalot like the good ol US of A ???? And maybe Kanukistan in a few more Harpo-Years........or Iggy-Years. Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Take yo pick.

Here's the linko if you want a good lafff!!!

Obama on African prosperity: 'Yes you can' | Sympatico / MSN News

whatever:munky2:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, I agree with the guy, but I think he's dreaming. But then I guess pols have to say something sometimes and that sounded better than Mr. Bush's "let's attack Iraq".

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Well, I agree with the guy, but I think he's dreaming. But then I guess pols have to say something sometimes and that sounded better than Mr. Bush's "let's attack Iraq".

Yepper, and it sounds better than; "yer either with us er agin us"........or, "bring it on"............Bushy Bushy stuff also.

But, it ain't happening anytime soon, and that's damn unfortunate.

Diamonds, oil, gold, - All these things will keep Africa tribalized, conflicted, and in deepest poverty for.................how long?? 2,3,7, generations?

So, it's basically touchy-feely good words which mean nothing.

Wish I had the solution.

8O

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
the thing about dreams is that if followed it can lead to something good

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Very few pols bring dreams to fruition, though. lol Most of them are duds or culls.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Might as well tell the arctic to quit having snow.
Of course if the countries that export guns and ammo quit it would slow down the mayhem a little bit.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I bet that would make a big difference. Unfortunately, a lot of the business sector has no ethical consideration. Money is the prime line, not people.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
It is gratifying to see that now - fifty years later, after the colonial powers left - Africa is no longer subject to exploitation and is rich and thrives on self-created excellence.

Just look at the glowing examples: Rwanda. Sudan. Uganda. Zimbabwe.

Many more, but I'd hate to be called a racist.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
It is gratifying to see that now - fifty years later, after the colonial powers left - Africa is no longer subject to exploitation and is rich and thrives on self-created excellence.

Just look at the glowing examples: Rwanda. Sudan. Uganda. Zimbabwe.

Many more, but I'd hate to be called a racist.

You're not racist, like me you're sick of aid to a land that has endless corruption. So support microfinance at kiva.org
A Zambian economist says it is time to get business started there. No more aid, no more religious nuts trying to "help" a basketcase. Get a job.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/magazine/22wwln-q4-t.html

Questions for Dambisa Moyo
The Anti-Bono

Interview by DEBORAH SOLOMON

Published: February 19, 2009

Q: As a native of Zambia with advanced degrees in public policy and economics from Harvard and Oxford, you are about to publish an attack on Western aid to Africa and its recent glamorization by celebrities. ‘‘Dead Aid,’’ as your book is called, is particularly hard on rock stars. Have you met Bono?
I have, yes, at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, last year. It was at a party to raise money for Africans, and there were no Africans in the room, except for me.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The Cdn govt just gives money to African govts which they then waste. WE could do much better by giving money to kiva.org to promote small business through microfinance. Yet we can't because the lobbyists would cry foul.

Dambisa Moyo said recently she was at a party by Bono at Davos ro something and was promoting African development, and she said was the only African at the party. I saw Bono say on TV that Africa is getting more democracy, giving no examples. Forget Bono. Go Moyo.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Might as well tell the arctic to quit having snow.
Of course if the countries that export guns and ammo quit it would slow down the mayhem a little bit.

I think a promise akin to that was actually made recently at the last G8 meeting,
at a time where Harper wasn't stuck in the John while everyone else waited to
get their pictures taken. It was something like, "We'll not let the Global
Temperatures increase by more than another 2 degree's" or something
equally as comical. :lol::lol::lol: