Killed for wearing a headscarf

hadhoud

Jul 4, 2009
Tunisia
Let me break down this story to see if I have it right (if anything, for my own sanity).
A 31-year old, headscarf-wearing Egyptian Muslim woman, Marwa Al-Sherbini, who was about four months pregnant, takes her German neighbor to court for calling her a “terrorist”. Now, in the courtroom, the neighbor, Alex W., stabs her 18 times right in front of her 3-year old son.
Her husband, a research fellow, tries to come to her rescue and ends up not only getting stabbed as well by the attacker, but is actually mistaken for the attacker and shot by the security guard.
This case was so mind-baffling when I read it a few days ago and I still haven’t been able to wrap my mind around it. Many questions and thoughts have been floating around in my head, and I hate to admit it but the most pertinent one that rests right at the foreground of my brain is based on two words: 18 times.

I am not a forensic scientist but I’ve seen enough Hollywood movies to know that stabbing someone 18 times isn’t a task that you get done in 5 or 10 seconds unless you’re the cyborg or a robot sent from the future. 18 times.
How long did it take for people in the courtroom to realize this woman was being stabbed and that someone should do something about it?
18 times.
Seriously, try stabbing the wind 18 times right now as quickly as possible.
Go ahead.
I’ll wait.
See what I’m saying?
Oh, and add to that her husband getting stabbed three times by the same guy before the tragedy came to an end (with the husband being shot).
Now I know this is a question that might seem silly or even absurd in light of this event. I know a better debate is being framed elsewhere . I know that a great deal of the conversation that centers around this case has been with regards to the lack of western coverage (what did they expect?) and the outrage in Egypt (what did they expect?) and the outrage to come from the perhaps various parts of the Muslim world (what did they expect?) or the rising Islamophobia in the West (what did they expect?), but while all these conversations are valid and have their own time and context to consider, for some reason, I remain mesmerized by this number: 18.
18 times.
Strictly on a human level, how long does it take for someone to react. To move. To say “stop”. To say “enough”. Strictly on a human level. No religion. No gender. Just a human being watching one human being slaughtered by another.
How long does it take?
How does that number reach 18?
See, this is what’s been getting to me lately. In my head, this number, 18, rings incredibly significant. I recognize that there’s evil in this world, and that there always will be. There are breaking limits in this world and I recognize that too. There are numbers that weigh heavy on the human soul, and every one has one. It’s unmistakable. It’s undeniable. Often times we have absolutely no control over them and we relieve ourselves of any responsibilities. Like Tolstoy would put it, we pretend to simply be kings who are slaves to the whims of history. But often times, we do.
Often times, and not all the time, but some of the time, we do.
Often times these things happen right in front of us.
On our watch.
On our watch, these numbers take shape.
For Marwa Al-Sherbini that magical number was eighteen.
But what’s the body count in Iraq today?
What about the West Bank or Gaza?
What about in Darfur?
What’s their magic number? What’s their breaking limit?
At what point do we say “enough”?
More importantly.
At what point will we mean it?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Welcome to the forum Hadhoud.

Is Europe really Islamophobic?

Anger over the killing of the 'martyr of the hijab' is understandable – but are Muslims right to say they are targeted in Europe?

"The martyr of the hijab" is what Egyptians are now calling Marwa al-Sherbini. The 31-year-old veiled Egyptian wife of a postgraduate student in Germany was fatally stabbed – in court – by a German man identified only as Axel W, who had been prosecuted for calling her a terrorist (among other things) while she was playing with her three-year-old son in a park. Marwa's body was interred in Cairo yesterday and her wake was attended by thousands, some of them chanting: "There is no God but God and the Germans are the enemies of God."

Is Europe really Islamophobic? | Nesrine Malik | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I doubt many Germans support killing Muslim women for wearing headscarves. This case is a tragedy and an extreme example of intolerance. BTW, so is saying "Germans are the enemies of God".

Notably, this story had gotten little to no coverage. Let's put it this way. If a Muslim man killed a German women in Egypt for not wearing a Hijab, and Egyptian police shot the husband by mistake, I'm sure it would have gotten more coverage by western media.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I can see why this weighs heavy on your mind. That it happened in a court room is mind boggling. All I can think is that the western media has done such an efficient job of vilification of Muslims to justify their invasion of sovereign Arab nations. I expect we have not seen the last of western barbarity.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Welcome to the forum Hadhoud.

I doubt many Germans support killing Muslim women for wearing headscarves. This case is a tragedy and an extreme example of intolerance. BTW, so is saying "Germans are the enemies of God".

Notably, this story had gotten little to no coverage. Let's put it this way. If a Muslim man killed a German women in Egypt for not wearing a Hijab, and Egyptian police shot the husband by mistake, I'm sure it would have gotten more coverage by western media.

The circle goes round and round. What is it going to take to break the circle of hate? Armageddon? Man, I'm getting tired of waiting for humans to grow up!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The nazism will never leave off in Germany .

What makes spreading hate from your end any different? People are people no matter where they are or what they believe. In any given location you have people who run the full spectrum from saints to barbarians. Are suicide bombers any more or less insane than a guy who stabs a woman in a court room? We can either view humanity as a bunch of lunatics or saints in progress. If they are lunatics with no hope of redemption, then we may as well nuke the whole lot and let god sort it out. I don't think you should judge an entire nation by the actions of a few.

hadhoud

Jul 4, 2009
Tunisia
I just want to remind some people that she was 4 months pregnant .
In the court , they said that the killer was a 'crazy' man as usual .
If this crime took place in an Egyptian court and a blond German woman lost her life by an Egyptian man, all the medias would talk about it .

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Gee you were sooo close too.
I was really interested in working out how she got stabbed 18 times and then the husband was shot and all but then you went and turned it into a stupid rant and painting Germans as Nazis.

People are people dude, some are assholes some a not. Try to get on with things.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The circle goes round and round. What is it going to take to break the circle of hate? Armageddon? Man, I'm getting tired of waiting for humans to grow up!

After 9/11, I noticed people in general were more polite. At least for a while.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Recently, a man stabbed another man multiple times on a crowded bus in Manitoba. Then he proceeded to cut off parts of the body including the head. In the meantime, the people on the bus exited the vehicle and locked the crazy MF inside. When humans witness an atrocity like this or the one in Germany they are temporarily stunned and horrified by the act before them. I can see the crazy fool stabbing the victim 18 times while the people around do a double take. You'll find these crazies anywhere, not just in Germany.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
mt_pockets, I immediately turned to the McLean case in my mind too.

I'd like to point out that the court had prosecuted him for his crime of calling her a terrorist.

Germany, the German courts, had said that even calling her names was not acceptable. He was a rogue lunatic, and obviously his actions don't reflect upon the German people. They are not excused, they are not applauded.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Didn't the Jews have problems with the Germans?

The nazism will never leave off in Germany .

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Didn't the Jews have problems with the Germans?

...and the Myans had trouble with the Spanish, and the N.A. aboriginals had trouble with the Europeans, and Americans had trouble with the British, and on and on. A man goes nuts in a courtroom and all of Germany is responsible? C'mon...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Those are Belugas. You can't fool me. Giving Dolphins a bad name! You should be ashamed!:roll:

Yeah I know Cliffy. I was just try'n to inject some humor as a way to point
out the utter stupidity of racism...and as a way to show that fear or hatred
of anyone based on their ethnicity or nationality is just plain dumb. :-?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yup, all over the world there are people that belong in institutions for the ignorant, intolerant, and inhuman.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
I dunno - maybe the people in the courtroom were dumbfounded to see this happen before their eyes - but sorry , responding to a wrong by attacking someone who merely physically represents what you feel is wrong? BIG wrong.
Call me a cockeyed whatever, but I'm not going to attack a woman wearing hijab in order to address the wrongs I feel done to the west by the Muslim countries, I don't thin I should be attacking anyone who hasn't attacked me personally - and even then, I'd rather talk first.
And on another level? Attacking someone for what I FEEL they represent, gives license to all those extremists - the islamists, the aryan nation types, the followers of meir kahan - to do the same. Sorry - won't even giv this guy a 'ok - maybe he had issues' pass ....