Canadians' wide spread ignorance of canada

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
There's not much national pride to be drawn from a new poll published just in time for Canada Day. The Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey suggests the country knows little about its own history - even its most recent history.
Only 42 per cent of respondents knew Canada had three territories - which, when compared with some of the other results from the 13-question survey, could be ranked as a towering success.
When asked how old Canada was turning this year, just 21 per cent answered correctly that the country - founded in 1867 - was turning 142 years old.
The wild range of incorrect replies spanned from 30 years to 287 years, placing Canada's founding at sometime between the War of Spanish Succession and the dying days of disco.
"You've got a big range of perception about how old Canada is," said Harris-Decima vice-president Jeff Walker.
Seems like we are always seeing news like this about Americans. Now it's our turn for the truth.8O

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm not surprised. I've observed more Canadians know about George Washington than Sir John A. MacDonald.

We live in a big country. There's a lot to know. I can say I've been from coast to coast to coast. I've even swam in the Arctic ocean (briefly several times).

I've been as far north as here:
Google Maps

As far west as here:
Google Maps

As far south as here:
Google Maps

And as far east as here:
Google Maps

I've also been pretty close to the center of Canada:
Google Maps

Yet I've only seen a small fraction of Canada. I still haven't been to New Brunswick, PEI, the Yukon or the NWT.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'm not surprised. I've observed more Canadians know about George Washington than Sir John A. MacDonald.

We live in a big country. There's a lot to know. I can say I've been from coast to coast to coast. I've even swam in the Arctic ocean (briefly several times).

I've been as far north as here:
Google Maps

As far west as here:
Google Maps

As far south as here:
Google Maps

And as far east as here:
Google Maps

I've also been pretty close to the center of Canada:
Google Maps

Yet I've only seen a small fraction of Canada. I still haven't been to New Brunswick, PEI, the Yukon or the NWT.
Been as far east as Teranna, and as far west as Aklavik (NWT).

aman12

Feb 22, 2009
Hay River,NT
I've lived in all 10provinces and 3 territories.Its an incredible country and many Canadians know so little about it. I've had Grade 10 students who did not know the name of the lake our town borders on.(Great Slave Lake).

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Is Canada only 142 years old or is more like 10 thousand? Is Canada a place (geography) or history? Does history only begin on July 1st 1867? If it is history, then it is a biased story. History rarely reflects the truth.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is Canada only 142 years old or is more like 10 thousand? Is Canada a place (geography) or history? Does history only begin on July 1st 1867? If it is history, then it is a biased story. History rarely reflects the truth.
It was Atlantis before the massive lake on the ice sheet let go and wiped it clean (water above firmament).

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
10,000? People have wandered around here for at least 18,000.

It is generally accepted that the last Ice Age receded 10 thousand years ago, but there were some small areas of Canada that were not covered. In the Kootenays, the ice sheet went into the states, so any older occupation would have been pre- Ice Age. That, I am sure, did happen, although I might get some flack from archaeologists for saying that. It can't be proved, at least in our neck of the woods. The oldest known find is 9000 years old on the Arrow Lakes at Deer Park.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What passes for history class in this country is the reason. I suppose that if some teacher put on some easy listening music it would be just a little more boring but not much.

Maybe too much focus is put on dates and places which are static and do nothing while all the action of people and the context which makes them interesting people living in interesting times is wonky.

Sadly it's usually the boring teachers who get to read history facts and figures from a book to uninterested and disassociated students.

Of course when a teacher does come along that can teach the rich fabric of history in Canada, they are quickly shunted to some other job, probably in administration. I suspect so as not to show up the boring teachers putting in time til they can retire from their crappy 8-4:30 job of babysitting brats.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What passes for history class in this country is the reason. I suppose that if some teacher put on some easy listening music it would be just a little more boring but not much.

Maybe too much focus is put on dates and places which are static and do nothing while all the action of people and the context which makes them interesting people living in interesting times is wonky.

Sadly it's usually the boring teachers who get to read history facts and figures from a book to uninterested and disassociated students.

Of course when a teacher does come along that can teach the rich fabric of history in Canada, they are quickly shunted to some other job, probably in administration. I suspect so as not to show up the boring teachers putting in time til they can retire from their crappy 8-4:30 job of babysitting brats.

Yes! You nailed that one. Most students only retain enough info to get through a boring exam then promptly forget it.

I once researched the history of the Cariboo Gold Rush for almost six months and ended up with about 10 pages of interesting information. I produced a small booklet 36 pages long with a cartoon on one page and a bit of info on the next. Most history is really dry.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I took the 13 question quiz and I got 9 questions right. I didn't do as well as I thought I would but certainly better than most of those on the survey.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
It is generally accepted that the last Ice Age receded 10 thousand years ago, but there were some small areas of Canada that were not covered. In the Kootenays, the ice sheet went into the states, so any older occupation would have been pre- Ice Age. That, I am sure, did happen, although I might get some flack from archaeologists for saying that. It can't be proved, at least in our neck of the woods. The oldest known find is 9000 years old on the Arrow Lakes at Deer Park.
There were several regions where there was no glaciation.
It is assumed a land bridge used to connect Alaska and Russia.
It is believed that an un-glaciated strip of land connected from the far north to south of the glaciers reach through what is now Alberta.
The coasts were probably un-glaciated as well.
Then there is the whole issue of glaciers pushing paleo man south out of the glaciated zone.
Paleo points (Clovis and Folsom)are commonly assumed to be around 10 or 11,000 years old.
Digs in several locations in the USA, Central and South America are now dating back from 15,000 to 18,000 years.
Its a fluid subject with lots of debate and new information coming forth.

Trex