A Simple And Euqal EI Solution

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I think EI across the country should be uniform. I read there are 58 systems, absurd. When and if the recession ends next year this plan should be implemented.

1. The 45 day minimum is increased by 20 days each year
2. By 2013 or so, in every region of the country a worker must work 105
days to qualify for EI.

People need to work more to get EI, 45 days is just too low. It is legally and bureaucratically scammed too often for my liking. Working half the year will keep more people working and it will be better for everyone.

To allow fishermen to make $40,000+ in two months and then be able to get EI is a joke. People and industries have to be given time to adjust. Four or five years is enough after the recession ends. And it won't cost anything.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
EI helps subsidize industry and a big one is governments. Municipalities are big on hiring lots of summer staff. We'll end up paying one way or another.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
"i f y o u u n d e r s t a n d t h i s y o u h a v e e n t i r e l y t o o m u c h t i m e o n y o u r h a n d s"

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
That's a little shy of double the 45 day thing...

Is it really? My EI runs out in October, hopefully I will be back to work by then. 8O

I've never filed or collected EI before, what a friggin' hassle. I was docked some time because I was going to university. :roll: :angryfire:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is it really? My EI runs out in October, hopefully I will be back to work by then. 8O

I've never filed or collected EI before, what a friggin' hassle. I was docked some time because I was going to university. :roll: :angryfire:

Assuming a 40hr work week (44hrs in Alberta). The big thing is the disqualification
time at the begining (=how long you have to wait until you see $$$), as it could be
a couple of weeks to a couple of months, or longer if you move to another
province, or do some day labouring, etc...
Employment Insurance (EI) Program Characteristics

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think EI across the country should be uniform. I read there are 58 systems, absurd. When and if the recession ends next year this plan should be implemented.

1. The 45 day minimum is increased by 20 days each year
2. By 2013 or so, in every region of the country a worker must work 105
days to qualify for EI.

People need to work more to get EI, 45 days is just too low. It is legally and bureaucratically scammed too often for my liking. Working half the year will keep more people working and it will be better for everyone.

To allow fishermen to make $40,000+ in two months and then be able to get EI is a joke. People and industries have to be given time to adjust. Four or five years is enough after the recession ends. And it won't cost anything.

One thing that has always bothered me about E.I. (U.I) is the word "insurance" - which is meant to cover events that happen "out of the blue"- neither expected nor planned and yet commercial fisherman, and other seasonal employment qualifies for it. I have no problem if they want to put money away for a "rainy day"- but there's no bloody way it should be called "insurance" and secondly as soon as their deposits have been withdrawn that should be the end of it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
One thing that has always bothered me about E.I. (U.I) is the word "insurance" - which is meant to cover events that happen "out of the blue"- neither expected nor planned and yet commercial fisherman, and other seasonal employment qualifies for it. I have no problem if they want to put money away for a "rainy day"- but there's no bloody way it should be called "insurance" and secondly as soon as their deposits have been withdrawn that should be the end of it.
Similarly, using it for maternity/paternity benefits makes no sense.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

Work for two or three months, make $20,000-40,000, and the gov't then gives you money? NO NO NO. This is a waste/scam because those who need EI because they make much less money have a hassle getting it.

It's all so opaque, it's all about the optics of Micheal and Steve. A simpler and transparent system is most likely fairer and less political.