MP galipeau at it already: Partisanship at its lowest.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from my MP for Ottawa-Orleans, Royal Galipeau. In it, he says nothing of what he intends to do, but just bashes Micheal Ignatieff for his comments on tax hikes. I hope my taxes didn't pay for this letter.

Anyway, why is he doing this? No, I don't like the idea of tax hikes necessarily, but if we're going to be spending like Conservative drunken sailors, then maybe Ignatieff is right. Though I'd rather a party that would just reduce government spending. But all of this is beside the point. Regardless of Iggy's views, seeing that he doesn't even live in the Ottawa-Orleans riding (then again, neither does Galipeau; he's just a transplant from a neighbouring neighbourhood), it's really none of our business what his views are; that's for his own constituents to decide.

Add to that that as an MP, referred to as "Honourable Member", he should be able to function in a somewhat less partisan manner, able to show some class, focus on consulting with the community he's supposed to be representing (after all, he's supposed to represent the local community's Iggy supporters too) rather than just bashing another MP who's not even in our riding.

How do such shallowly partisan MP's come to power? What's wrong with our voters? No wonder our nation is so divided; even our own MP's are busy dividing the nation against itself on partisan grounds, as if we don't have enough ethnic division already with English,Canada, Quebec, and the First Nations and Inuit, and immigrant communities. Shouldn't his job be to try to unite the community rather than promote further partisan divisions?

Seriously, what's wrong with our system that our Parliament should be crawling with such vermin?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Because it works.

Because what works? Shallow partisanship? If that's what you meant, you're probably right. So does the MP then become a relfection of the quality of the community voting for him? If so, then he's a shame on our community.

By the way, his letter included a post-prepaid ballot asking who could best keep taxes down between Harper, Ignatieff, Layton and May. I answered 'None of them resides in the Ottawa-Orleans riding and so I can vote for none of them.' and then hand-delivered it to his office and slipped it under his door. I hope he gets the hint that sheap partisan shots don't work with this voter. He even stooped so low as to include the already cliche'd picture of Ignatieff and the briefcase saying 'just visiting.' Again, whether true or not, whether he has a point or not, Ignatieff is not even a resident, let alone MP, for our riding and so has nothing to do with us.

And what about Galipeau himself? Can't he keep taxes down, or only Harper, Ignatieff, Layton or May? If so, then what's the point of voting for him if he can't do anything for himself? He's not in Parliament for his leader to wipe his bum for him for crying out loud. Man the quality of the MPs we elect. Add to that that Galipeau should treat Ignatieff with respect if he beleives in democracy. ignatieff was elected democratically by his constituents. Looking at it that way, an MP showing disrespect to another MP shows disrespect for his constituents too. I hope the MP who meets my MP shows pity on our riding and bite his tongue as an MP should.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Machjo, I'm suprised that this style of response to Iggy hasn't happened sooner.

Ignatieff has been acting the role of lord-and-master ever since he was parachuted into the top lib position. I won't go into the details of his actions, but suffice to say, he has made an ass of himself and his party. Further, Iggy has clearly stated that he will raise taxes via increasing GST and a carbon tax.

It sounds to me that you are upset that the MP in your riding is calling bullsh*t on Iggy more than you are upset that you received a letter.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Machjo, I'm suprised that this style of response to Iggy hasn't happened sooner.

Ignatieff has been acting the role of lord-and-master ever since he was parachuted into the top lib position. I won't go into the details of his actions, but suffice to say, he has made an ass of himself and his party. Further, Iggy has clearly stated that he will raise taxes via increasing GST and a carbon tax.

It sounds to me that you are upset that the MP in your riding is calling bullsh*t on Iggy more than you are upset that you received a letter.

Just read my other threads. I think a few in these forums would vouch for me that I am no defender of Iggy's. The point I'm making here has nothing to do with Iggy per se, but the shallow partisanship of my MP. Not only did he take a cheap shot at iggy in that letter, but at Layton and May too. As I'd explained before, the letter even included a ballot to vote fo who could keep taxes down the lowest between Harper, Ignatieff, Layton and May. Why was his own name not included? Is he not a voting MP too? As far as I'm concenred, those other MPs are none of my business. They're not in my riding. My simple issue is with the cheap partisanship of my MP. An MP should be able to stand above that.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Let's look at André Arthur, and independent MP in Parliament (André Arthur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). That's more the kind of candidates we need, independent candidates that don't stoop to partisan politics all the time. Now I don't know much about Arthur, but he must be quite something to be able to win an election without any party support behind him, and that with all his opposition having entire party apparatuses behind them. I don't know uch about him, but there's got to be something about him to be able to defy all odds like that. That's the kind of politician we need, someone who can win on his own terms without a party wiping his butt for him all the way to Parliament.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
Because what works? Shallow partisanship? If that's what you meant, you're probably right. So does the MP then become a relfection of the quality of the community voting for him? If so, then he's a shame on our community.

Sadly yes. People always drone on about how crappy and slimey politicians are, yet as voters they demonstrate over and over again that crappy and slimey is the most likely path to office.

Whatever one thinks of Pierre Trudeau, they cannot argue with him when he said that in a democracy the public gets the government it deserves.

DichotoMe

Nominee Member
Jan 6, 2009
CBI
This lack of respect is an epidemic in Canadian politics. I believe it is one of the many reason for poor voter turnouts in elections. Anyone calling themselves a party supporter should be disgusted. Especially conservatives, since they seem to use the tactic more often then any other party, even when there is no election. They're a one trick pony.

In the next election i'd like to start a campaign for Anything But Negativity. In this campaign we can't vote for anyone who makes even one disrespectful comment. That might make the candidates behave better in the short term. We need to be tougher on candidates during elections, scare them, maybe even try to make them cry. We ned to see who can keep it together, who falls apart and who lashes out. Really put them all through the ringer so that when they come out they're scared of us.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Reform/Conservative learned their craft from the nazi politics of yesteryear.

Just wait till they get a majority the Conservative youth will bring in a whole new meaning.

The Liberal party on the other hand puts the Canadian people first.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
This Liberalman post has been an unpaid political advertisement by the Liberal Party of Canada.

Isn't this nothing more than Spam?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
That's my opinion not the Liberal party's.

All Conservative party MPs are muzzled and they were the ones that changed the Afghanistan mission to a combat mission where lots of our soldiers have lost their livesand the media cannot ask questions of the Prime Minister except if they are under a threat of an election and the list goes on and that's a fact.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from my MP for Ottawa-Orleans, Royal Galipeau. In it, he says nothing of what he intends to do, but just bashes Micheal Ignatieff for his comments on tax hikes. I hope my taxes didn't pay for this letter.
Post the letter and let us see how partisan it is.

DichotoMe

Nominee Member
Jan 6, 2009
CBI
This coming from a guy with Diefenbaker in clown makeup as an avatar. Hi-larious

I thought it was quite funny. I have little respect for him, that is true. I'm nowhere near perfect Cannuck and I don't pretend to be. I do try though. It was only meant for this thread and I wasn't planning on keeping it up very long anyway. I couldn't look at that mug for that long, even all gussied up right nice like that. I do apologize for upsetting your delicate sensibilities.

Also, I'm not a public figure looking to get elected. If he wants to represent the people don't you think he must show a bit more tact than me. No?

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Post the letter and let us see how partisan it is.

I mailed it in already.

the top part had various quotes of Ignatieff's saying how we need to increase taxes, and comments on a gas tax, GST, etc.

Then the bottom part was a printed ballot with the question:

Who do youthink could best keep taxes down? (or a similar question to that effect)

And the choies were:

Harper, Layton, Ignatieff, and May.

I answered "I can't vote for any of them because none of them resides in my riding."

Why is he bringing in people who aren't even residents we could even vote for? What other MP's (and May isn't even an MP, and none of the above are even threats to Galipeau seeing that they're not even in his riding anyway) do is none of our bueinss. What I want to know is waht our MP can do, not how evil other MP's are.

Seems pretty partisan to me.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The Reform/Conservative learned their craft from the nazi politics of yesteryear.

Just wait till they get a majority the Conservative youth will bring in a whole new meaning.

The Liberal party on the other hand puts the Canadian people first.

Oh give me a break. Last election, our Liberal candidate was taking some cheap shots at the conservative too. How tdo you explain that?

You were joking and pulling our legs, right?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
That's my opinion not the Liberal party's.

All Conservative party MPs are muzzled and they were the ones that changed the Afghanistan mission to a combat mission where lots of our soldiers have lost their livesand the media cannot ask questions of the Prime Minister except if they are under a threat of an election and the list goes on and that's a fact.

It seems that your opinion is consistently in opposition of that of the liberal party.

As far as Afghanistan is concerned, maybe think about sobering-up before you post... Chretein was responsible for negotiating the role that Canadian soldiers would/will play and sending them over there.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
the top part had various quotes of Ignatieff's saying how we need to increase taxes, and comments on a gas tax, GST, etc.

Then the bottom part was a printed ballot with the question:

Who do youthink could best keep taxes down? (or a similar question to that effect)

And the choies were:

Harper, Layton, Ignatieff, and May.

I answered "I can't vote for any of them because none of them resides in my riding."

Why is he bringing in people who aren't even residents we could even vote for? What other MP's (and May isn't even an MP, and none of the above are even threats to Galipeau seeing that they're not even in his riding anyway) do is none of our bueinss. What I want to know is waht our MP can do, not how evil other MP's are.

Seems pretty partisan to me.

C'mon Machjo, all politics are partisan to a degree and as far as this current situation is concerned, Iggy has pulled enough of these retarded stunts such that it begs a response.

All this BS about "I'm putting you on probation" and demanding "report cards" acts only to invite ridicule from the public at large. Add in the never-ending comments about spending too much, not knowing how much or where it is spent despite that he and his party supported the spending initiatives is just a colossal insult to the public.

Iggy is inviting all of this Machjo, think about analyzing the situation as opposed to blaming the cons for responding is not the solution.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What Iggy does is for his own constituents to judge, not for my MP to judge. What my MP should be focussing on is consulting with the community on ideas, not on bashing other MPs.

As for partisanship, an MP should throw partisanship out the window and focus on serving his community, not trying to score political points against anyone. besides, what's to say the Liberal candidate in our riding next election will see eye to eye with Iggy. Iggy's not zilch to do with our riding.