Would this make you buy a new car?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Car makers, dealers, urge feds to help people buy more cars

at 10:10 on June 5, 2009, EDT.

THE CANADIAN PRESS
OTTAWA - Car makers and dealers are urging the federal government to spend $350 million to get people to scrap old clunkers and buy new vehicles.
They say the government should offer people $3,500 when they trade in a car that's at least 10 years old and buy a new one. It's an expansion of the existing retire-your-ride program, which pays $300 for each scrapped car.
Mark Nantais, head of the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers' Association and Richard Gauthier, president of the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association, say the bigger program will help boost consumer confidence.
They also say that getting older cars off the road is a boon for the environment, because they pump out far more pollution than new vehicles.
They expect a richer scrappage program would get up to 100,000 old cars off the road.
Gauthier said car sales in Canada are off 20 per cent this year.
Germany brought in a $3,800 scrappage incentive this spring and new-car sales subsequently rose dramatically.
Gauthier said the $300 retire-your-ride incentive is just too small to be effective in spurring new auto sales.
"It's enough to buy a bicycle," he said.
He and Nantais said their proposal isn't as expensive as it looks. For one thing, the government could roll in $92 million money already allotted for retire-your-ride over the next three years. For another, the government would reap millions in GST on the sales of new cars.
They say the program should run for a year, or until the $350 million runs out, whichever comes first.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Over the past couple of weeks, we have been searching around for a new truck. We need something a tad "stronger" than we now have to pull our travel trailer. With the auto industry in dire straights and car dealerships supposedly closing down, we expected that we might see somewhat better pricing out there. The costs are astonishing to say the least. Next week we are going to Vancouver so we will see if pricing is any better there.
Do you think this idea from the auto manufacturers would give you incentive?

johnnyhangover

now with added fiber!
Feb 20, 2009
in my house
www.dreadfulmonkey.com
It would, but only because I plan on buying a new car next year anyway. Actually, my car isn't 10 yrs. old, so I guess I wouldn't qualify. In fact, it would have the opposite incentive for me, I would hold on to my car for an extra 2 years just to get the incentive.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No, because I haven't bought a new car in years.

I buy cars that are 1 to 2 years old, but I keep them for 6 to 10 years.

When you buy quality cars built in Indiana, that's what happens.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Car makers, dealers, urge feds to help people buy more cars

at 10:10 on June 5, 2009, EDT.

THE CANADIAN PRESS
OTTAWA - Car makers and dealers are urging the federal government to spend $350 million to get people to scrap old clunkers and buy new vehicles.
They say the government should offer people $3,500 when they trade in a car that's at least 10 years old and buy a new one. It's an expansion of the existing retire-your-ride program, which pays $300 for each scrapped car.
Mark Nantais, head of the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers' Association and Richard Gauthier, president of the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association, say the bigger program will help boost consumer confidence.
They also say that getting older cars off the road is a boon for the environment, because they pump out far more pollution than new vehicles.
They expect a richer scrappage program would get up to 100,000 old cars off the road.
Gauthier said car sales in Canada are off 20 per cent this year.
Germany brought in a $3,800 scrappage incentive this spring and new-car sales subsequently rose dramatically.
Gauthier said the $300 retire-your-ride incentive is just too small to be effective in spurring new auto sales.
"It's enough to buy a bicycle," he said.
He and Nantais said their proposal isn't as expensive as it looks. For one thing, the government could roll in $92 million money already allotted for retire-your-ride over the next three years. For another, the government would reap millions in GST on the sales of new cars.
They say the program should run for a year, or until the $350 million runs out, whichever comes first.
Why don't the a$$holes just drop $3500 off the price in the first place? The price of a new car to buy is a joke in comparison to how much it cost to build and ship. Auto makers are just as greedy as oil companies. And they don't give a crap about the environment, only public opinion and public money.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Why don't the a$$holes just drop $3500 off the price in the first place? The price of a new car to buy is a joke in comparison to how much it cost to build and ship. Auto makers are just as greedy as oil companies. And they don't give a crap about the environment, only public opinion and public money.
My point exactly. Right now though, you can buy a used vehicle for so near the cost of a used one, if we were looking for one close to new it would hardly be worth it to buy used. We have a 93 we are going to sell privately but want to buy around a 2004. We just don't know how hard it will be on the old girl to try to haul our near 30 foot trailer around so we figured we should do the graceful thing and give her a little rest. She's in great shape for someone like a construction worker. It's nice and clean right now but since it's so old, a little dirt, drywall and sawdust wouldn't be so bad. Every dealship we've walked (driven) onto astounds us. What is even more astounding is the sales people are rude. Realtors began to get rude when the housing boom was on and anything and everything was selling at ridiculous prices. I am assuming they are becoming much nicer now. I thought the same would be true for car sales but I thought wrong. There are better deals to be had privately and that may well be the route we'll take.
Almost forgot - what will they do with all the old cars (you know - the 2000 and up cars). Dealership had a sale here last weekend. The ad said "One Day Sale Only. Every vehicle must go." We thought maybe they were closing out. So, a couple of days ago I drove by the lot. It's just as full as ever. We deceided to have a look at some of their used trucks yesterday. Salesman was obnoxious enough that we left.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
sounds like a way for people who intend to buy a new vehicle, but dont have a 10 year old vehicle to give up to abuse the system by going and buying an old clunker for a few bucks so that they can then get a few thousand bucks off their future purchase.