Stronach to introduce Canadian built electric car

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Magna wants to build electric car in Canada

This is pretty exciting, I think.

I concede there are concerns that the power required to charge these babies may com from a non-renewable source, but still, it's a step in the right direction, right?

Also, Frank appears to be quite passionate about having them built in Canada, which fills me with a little pride.

I say, "go Frank!"

Hey Jonny good thread, Frank will be successful if he gives the public .0 cost per mile on electric, hard to do with gas, and it all depend if the cost of the cars will be able to compete with Japanese imports. Value on the good all buck.......

me too go Frank..

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
As far as manufacturing goes, I hope he succeeds. But I wouldn't have one. A range of 160 km? OK for summer but you wouldn't get across town at -30. Batteries don't like cold, not to mention the extra power required for heating and defrost.

I'd prefer this for an around town car, and I'd also take in on long trips if I didn't need more room. Not sure how well it would do in winter either.
VW 1 Liter Car

johnnyhangover

now with added fiber!
Feb 20, 2009
in my house
www.dreadfulmonkey.com
As far as manufacturing goes, I hope he succeeds. But I wouldn't have one. A range of 160 km? OK for summer but you wouldn't get across town at -30. Batteries don't like cold, not to mention the extra power required for heating and defrost.

True, true. 160km isn't very far, and you raise a good point about winter, but eventually the technology would improve. In fact, development could be much further ahead in 3 yrs. when they're set to roll.
One big problem could be the lifespan of the batteries. I heard, and this is unverified, that the batteries in the Prius are only good for roughly 4 yrs. (80000km?) and cost 8500 clams to replace. Ouch. But again, technology is always improving...

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

I'd prefer this for an around town car, and I'd also take in on long trips if I didn't need more room. Not sure how well it would do in winter either.
VW 1 Liter Car

Who in their right mind would live where it hits minus 30? Then you would need an electric snowmobile or lots of heaters.
My wife has an electric bicycle that she charges with a solar panel. Works well. We also use an electric motor for the Zodiac that charge the same way. OK for trolling but not fast enough to go far.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Two of the big three in Detroit go on life support, and Canada gets a new car manufacturer. Yay!!! Frank Stronach is a great Canadian.

And with potentially idle factories another Cdn auto mfgr could rise from the ashes.

Funny how it took an immigrant to start a Canadian car. The Toronto business elite has a global view beginning and ending the USA. There was a book published recently stating most big Cdn biz ideas came from newcomers. I remember, one eg, Nortel, a spinoff of IT&T.

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
Suddenly I'm no longer enthusiastic about this idea. This billionaire's got some nerve. Asking for money from workers who can barely make mortgage payments so he can start up a new company.

The government should tell him to go intercourse himself!

OTTAWA -- Fresh off his company's acquisition of Germany's Opel, Canadian auto parts magnate Frank Stronach was in Ottawa on Tuesday seeking federal funds to start building electric cars in Canada for sale within as little as three years.

"In 12 years we see 30% of all cars being electric. There will be very fierce competition in the world for that market, but I feel very strongly Magna will be among leaders," Mr. Stronach, the chairman of Magna International, said at a news conference adjacent to Parliament Hill, where a Ford Focus battery electric car being developed in partnership with Magna was on display.

"One of the main reasons I'm here today . . . is that I would like to see that the first electrical car facilities are in Canada. If we could get a loan we know we could speed it up. If we could get a loan, we could make sure it's in Canada."

Magna seeks Ottawa help for electric car

johnnyhangover

now with added fiber!
Feb 20, 2009
in my house
www.dreadfulmonkey.com
Suddenly I'm no longer enthusiastic about this idea. This billionaire's got some nerve. Asking for money from workers who can barely make mortgage payments so he can start up a new company.

The government should tell him to go intercourse himself!
Magna seeks Ottawa help for electric car

I think he was looking for a loan, not a handout. Infant industry always needs a helping hand!

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
So do I. If it's a viable industry he doesn't need help from me against my will. If the private sector won't finance him there must be a very good reason. When I was in business all my financing was done by the private sector. So should his.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Zenn electric car is made in Canada

Can Stronach make it better

Mechanical & Performance

• Front wheel drive
  • Helical gear transmission for quiet operation
  • 100% electrically driven, 72 VDC (5.69kw)
  • Electronic drive-by-wire throttle
  • Advanced Motors & Drives, 3 Phase AC drive motor
    (Length: 10.5", Diameter: 7.5")
  • Curtis Motor Controller
  • Transmission 10.3 - 1 Speed reducer with integral
    differential
  • Speed control - 300A
  • Zero emission vehicle
  • Constant velocity driveshaft with CV joints
  • AGM Batteries: EV31A-A Discover battery pack - 6 x 12V
    maintenance free, valve sealed lead-acid batteries
  • Charging: Aprox. 8 hours (110 Volt Standard Electrical
    Outlet), 80% rechargeable in 4 hours (from empty)
  • Independent front wheel suspension with two
    coilspring/shock units
  • Rear suspension trailing arm with two coil spring/shock
    units
  • Rack and pinion steering
  • 13" spoke aluminum magwheels
  • 145/70R13 tires
Safety

• Adjustable Headrests (2 seats)
  • 3 Point Seatbelts
  • Dual hydraulic system, 4-wheel disc, 6.7 in.
  • Electromagnetic regenerative braking
  • Black aluminum alloy Space Frame
  • Meets FMVSS500 standards
Exterior

• Rear window wiper
  • Front windshield wipers
  • Central antenna
  • Black roof and body pillars
  • ABS body panels
  • Chrome grill insert
  • Headlights
  • Dual exterior mirrors
  • Protective color-keyed body moldings
Comfort & Convenience

• Adjustable bucket seats
  • Two-tone cloth seats
  • Power windows
  • Rear window defrost
  • Interior heating
  • Directional shifter
  • Electronic dashboard
  • Trip odometer
  • Digital Clock
  • Remote keyless entry and locks
  • Carpeting
  • 12V accessory plug
  • Central interior light with auto on/off with door opening
  • Sun visors
  • Integrated locking glove box
  • Inside rear trunk pockets
  • Storage capacity: approximately 30 cu. ft.
Your Custom Features

2009 ZENN

Colour:

Blue

Car:

$15,995

Radio:

$245

A/C:

$2,200

Battery Insulating System:

$300

Delivery:

$1,250

Total MSRP:

$19,990

*Excludes taxes and
admin fees where
applicable.​

1100% Electric, the ZENN doesn't use any gasoline. A gallon of gas has an energy equivalent of 33.5kwh3. One gallon of gas provides the same energy as fully charging the ZENN about 7 times. This is an equivalent fuel economy of 7 x 40 miles = 280 mpg. (3National Association of Fleet Administrators, www.nafa.org) Estimated annual fuel cost $210 (calculated at 40 miles/day & 10.3¢ kwh residential electrical rate) .​

Actual mileage will vary with the options, driving conditions, temperature, driving habits and vehicle's condition2The ZENN is designed for urban transportation and has a regulated maximum speed. It is not approved for highway use.​

For comparison shopping, 2008 small vehicles are rated at 29 mpg or less (city); 2008 hybrid small car at 40 mpg (city). Source: US DOE, www.fueleconomy.gov

Visit your nearest ZENN retailer to test-drive your ZENN!™​