Red Bull Cola energy drink banned for containing cocaine

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Officials in Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Thuringia and Rhineland-Palatinate have banned the drink after health officials noted trace amounts of cocaine in cans of the cola.
"The coke is not harmful, but it violates food law," said Thomas Schulz, a spokesman for the Thuringian Ministry of Health.
The North Rhine-Westphalia Institute for Health and Work (LIGA) found traces of cocaine, from a leaf stem that had supposedly had all the cocaine extracted from it. Therefore, according to the ministry, the cola should not be be classified as a food product, but falls instead under the jurisdiction of the German Narcotics Act.
"Coca leaf extracts, without the active ingredient of cocaine, are used worldwide for food flavorings and are completely safe," a Red Bull spokesman told the Frankfurter Neue Presse newspaper.
In the German state of Hesse, the Ministry of the Environment in Wiesbaden said on Friday, May 22, that it had confirmed the presence of the coca leaf extract in the drink. It noted that it was part of the recipe and that the product was not contaminated. Therefore they have not issued a warning, but have ordered a recall of the product.
Officials at Red Bull took a different view of the situation, and said that they had a different interpretation of the legality of coca products being used as flavorings.
"We are of the opinion that our product is marketable," Frank Farnsteiner, a spokesman for Red Bull, told German public radio.
av/dpa/hronline
Editor: Andreas Illmer

Hopefully, this link doesn't die. Not that it contains as much information as I would like.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Good morning petros. Nice to see you again.

I think the Red Bull spokesman is a gas bag!:lol:

I have no idea. I don't watch TV although I suspect it won't be long before there are digital ads every second page in a hardcover novel.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Never tried the stuff. I think I heard it's supposed to give one energy or something like that. Proper food and activity works well enough for us. People always looking for a quick, easy fix for everything that requires effort. It's funny.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It should be banned simply for the fact it gives people really foul gas.
I don't know about that - we don't hang out with anyone who drinks red bull. It has been reported that it was going to be banned because it is so full of caffeine that it can cause heart problems or maybe because it is harmful to people who already have heart problems. Something along those lines anyway. I expected it to fly off the shelves but - it's still there and it's a big seller. So it does fly off the shelves but not quite in the way I expected.:smile:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It's hugely popular among some of the nightshifters I used to work with. At 5am people will do whatever it takes to stay awake. I tried it, but didn't like the taste. I stuck with my regular coke.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Sit behind the bench at a high school basketball game sometime.
Sorry - I've done my time at basketball - used to be a cheerleader. No RedBull then though. Sit behind a group of kids at any sport. They don't need RedBull.;-)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Never tried the stuff. I think I heard it's supposed to give one energy or something like that. Proper food and activity works well enough for us. People always looking for a quick, easy fix for everything that requires effort. It's funny.

No, it actually gives you wings!;-):lol::p