Can people pass diseases to animals?

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
I don't know if anyone saw this but if you caught the news this weekend it was telling the population that a pig farm in Alberta had to be quarantined because the help had been on a vacation to Mexico and they had infected 1 or some of the pigs on the farm.

Can someone explain how this is scientifically possible? Because I have been trying to find a scientific explanation as to whether humans can pass diseases to animals and there is nothing about it! All I keep getting is how animals can infect humans with all kinds of things but I can't even find one article or source that talks about if it is even possible for human to transmit diseases to animals. Also, I couldn't find any flu info without all the swine flu hoopla. I'm trying to find info that is unbiased.

I'm no scientist but this doesn't sound right. How does a person who has the flu pass it on to animals? If anyone has an answer to this I would appreciate knowing it. Thanks.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think the more crucial question to answer gpac is, why on earth would you think a virus is capable of passing to humans, but not back to the animals that were originally carrying it?

If a pig's germs can pass to us and get us sick, then why wouldn't a person's germs infect a pig too? We touch their food, handle them, cough when working with them, etc., etc. They have the same sorts of mucous membranes in their eyes and mouths as we do, which work in much the same way. Their lungs inhale airborne particles the same as ours do.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Maybe yes, maybe no.

But animals are definitely capable to pass disease to humans.

AIDS. Monkey to man.

Look up the details.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
There are many virus that can be transmitted either way. Look at rabies, blood borne pathogens and the like. TB can also be transmitted. I'm sure there are others.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Source: CJOB 68: Manitoba's Information Superstation

How does swine flu spread?

Influenza viruses can be directly transmitted from pigs to people and from people
to pigs. Human infection with flu viruses from pigs are most likely to occur when
people are in close proximity to infected pigs, such as in pig barns and livestock
exhibits housing pigs at fairs. Human-to-human transmission of swine flu can also
occur. This is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu occurs in people,
which is mainly person-to-person transmission through coughing or sneezing of
people infected with the influenza virus. People may become infected by touching
something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose.

Can people catch swine flu from eating pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not transmitted by food. You can not get swine
influenza from eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked
pork and pork products is safe. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160°F
kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses.

Much more information at the Link provided. These two points are directly
relevant (more or less) to the opening questions.:lol:

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
I was under the impression that we couldn't pass viruses along to each other simply because of the differences in our biology.

The closest thing I've found on this is from a sit called answer bag where someone asked if they could pass a cold to their pet.

" Most virus diseases don't jump between species - any species. Not between humans and guinea pigs, not between cats and dogs, not between ferrets and humans. Each animal has a different body temperature, a different balance of chemicals in the bloodstream, different enzymes - and a virus that is happy at the 98.6� Fahrenheit (37� centigrade/celsius) body temperature of humans can't survive in the bloodstream of an animal whose body temperature is 101� and vice versa.

Colds are caused by two groups of viruses called coronavirus and rhinovirus, and these kinds of virii are species specific. While there are viruses that cause colds and illnesses in dogs, they are not the same ones that humans get. Pneumonia is another illness that is caused by a wide variety of germs, not just one kind, but once again, the virii or bacteria that may cause pneumonia in humans are not the same ones that cause pneumonia in animals.

The flu has been known to pass from birds to humans, and from pigs to humans, but there is no evidence that the flu can be passed between humans and dogs.

Just a note:
The situations where the flu has passed between species have unusual circumstances present: extremely crowded conditions, thousands of animals and people crammed together, people both inhaling air that has partical waste from the animals or birds and eating the meat of the animals or birds. Once the flu virus does jump species like that, it can then pass to other humans.
"

See, to me this makes sense.

If human viruses could be passed along that easily then this would be something that we would know about and have seen before. There would definitely be some evidence/examples of this in our history. We used to be a lot sicker back in the day and our life expectancy was something like 30 or 40 years. And back in the day, farming was something practically everyone was a part of. If humans were capable of infecting their pets and farm animals this way I'm not so sure we would all be here today.

Also, I have never ever heard of a person giving a dog rabies. Unless it was with a hypodermic needle.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Virus's similar to each other, but in different host species, can co-mingle
to produce variants (a hybrid virus) that can cross the host species barrier
at times, as I understand it. I don't even pretend to thoroughly understand it.8O:lol:

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
Sorry! I correct myself. I know that animals can pass along certain infections to people ie the rabies example. But my question is human to animal transmission. I can't find any examples of this.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If human viruses could be passed along that easily then this would be something that we would know about and have seen before. There would definitely be some evidence/examples of this in our history. We used to be a lot sicker back in the day and our life expectancy was something like 30 or 40 years. And back in the day, farming was something practically everyone was a part of. If humans were capable of infecting their pets and farm animals this way I'm not so sure we would all be here today.

Also, I have never ever heard of a person giving a dog rabies. Unless it was with a hypodermic needle.

What you seem to fail to realize is that 'back in the day', people just got sick. No one knew where it came from. We may have had many many outbreaks of flu brought on by our cattle, and we may have had numerous herds of animals wiped out by sick people, all throughout human history. But who would have been able to tell you? Who would have been able to trace it? We didn't have the technology to see the things, let alone identify and track them, break down their DNA and figure them out on a molecular level.

Being able to pinpoint this kind of thing is new. And, with that new technology, comes the very distinct proof that yes... certain flus, when coughed onto a pig, are going to catch and spread exactly the same as if you cough it onto a person.

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
Interesting find but the article doesn't establish that people transmitted those diseases to the animal except that these are similar diseases that we share. The last sentence says that they are trying to control the spread of tuberculosis in elephants but there is no evidence that the elephant contracted the disease from an infected human being.

And that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

It's true that you cat or dog can catch a cold just like we do but so far from what I can find is that they caught the feline or canine version of the virus. Not that they caught the cold from their owners. And when we catch a cold it's because we caught the human strain of the virus.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I tend to avoid the pig farms around here and really haven't paid much attention to them. However, the vets that work with the swine farmers and also the workers themselves are extremely cautious.
The only time a vet can actually enter a swine facility is if they have not been on any other farm or delt with any farm animals for 3 days. They need to shower in change, do their work, then shower out and change. After that they can not deal with any other swine for at least 3 days.
They (the swine) seem to be easily contaminated, either by inanimate objects like shoes (fomites) or zoonoses.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's true that you cat or dog can catch a cold just like we do but so far from what I can find is that they caught the feline or canine version of the virus. Not that they caught the cold from their owners. And when we catch a cold it's because we caught the human strain of the virus.

Your pets can not catch your actual cold or flu. Once again there are things that you can get from them and vise versa just the cold and flu are not one of them.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Virus's similar to each other, but in different host species, can co-mingle
to produce variants (a hybrid virus) that can cross the host species barrier
at times, as I understand it. I don't even pretend to thoroughly understand it.8O:lol:

A Virus in one host species doesn't just jump to a different host species.
A Virus has a short lifespan, and has the ability to mutate (evolve?) very
quickly given the right opportunity. Similar Viruses, in two different host
species, in what might be ideal conditions for the Viruses, can mutate
to produce a hybrid (Like Horse & Donkey produce an offspring, but a
sheep and a farmer just produce laughter:lol:). The hybrid has the opportunity
to become nastier to both host species.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I don't know if anyone saw this but if you caught the news this weekend it was telling the population that a pig farm in Alberta had to be quarantined because the help had been on a vacation to Mexico and they had infected 1 or some of the pigs on the farm.

Can someone explain how this is scientifically possible? Because I have been trying to find a scientific explanation as to whether humans can pass diseases to animals and there is nothing about it! All I keep getting is how animals can infect humans with all kinds of things but I can't even find one article or source that talks about if it is even possible for human to transmit diseases to animals. Also, I couldn't find any flu info without all the swine flu hoopla. I'm trying to find info that is unbiased.

I'm no scientist but this doesn't sound right. How does a person who has the flu pass it on to animals? If anyone has an answer to this I would appreciate knowing it. Thanks.

I can help you, I'm Dr D B Eaver PHD WD40 HP, I'm on the cutting hedge of science, this subject is my specialty.
Interesting things about pigs and people, I guess there's a lot of interchangeable parts, this flu is one of them. Dead pigs don't make bacon. The beef industry sends its condolences, chicken soup futures will explode. Bio warfare can be funny.:lol:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Me and the pigs are terrified, somebodys got to stop Al kada. The pigs can be saved with Tammyflew. I can't afford it, I'll have to eat them now, they're to cute I can't do it, I'll have to do some crime, you understand, forgive me Sparky.

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
I found an interesting and informative article about the Swine Flu on a site called Dr. Mercola dot com where I simply typed in Swine Flu.

Even though it doesn't really answer my question about human to animal infection you all should check it out. It's a more sober take on the swine flu rather that the fear mongering and misinformation that has been prevalent over the past couple of weeks.

I'll admit I don't know much about him but at least he is a doctor and you can easily find his qualifications (I looked him up) which helps with his credibility. Usually people who have nothing to hide, hide nothing. And I like the logical take he has on all of this.

He explains that this is not the first Swine Flu panic:

"
My guess is that you can expect to see a lot of panic over this issue in the near future. But the key is to remain calm -- this isn't the first time the public has been warned about swine flu. The last time was in 1976, right before I entered medical school and I remember it very clearly. It resulted in the massive swine flu vaccine campaign.

Do you happen to recall the result of this massive campaign?

Within a few months, claims totaling $1.3 billion had been filed by victims who had suffered paralysis from the vaccine. The vaccine was also blamed for 25 deaths.

However, several hundred people developed crippling Guillain-Barré Syndrome after they were injected with the swine flu vaccine. Even healthy 20-year-olds ended up as paraplegics.

And the swine flu pandemic itself? It never materialized."

What is the swine flu :

"
Regular swine flu is a contagious respiratory disease, caused by a type-A influenza virus that affects pigs. The current strain, A(H1N1), is a new variation of an H1N1 virus -- which causes seasonal flu outbreaks in humans -- that also contains genetic material of bird and pig versions of the flu."

He says the Swine Flu affects pigs. Of course because animals get sick too. That's not news. Farmers have been farming for ages and if you know any you'll know that their herds of pigs, cows and chickens can get sick but usually it's not an issue because normally these illnesses didn't affect the families that farmed these animals and there are established measures to take if an animal is sick.

But what he just said is that it's the human strain of the flu that they have found to contain avian and swine dna which he goes on to say

"Interestingly enough, this version has never before been seen in neither human nor animal, which I will discuss a bit later.

He states that Factory Farming Maybe Source of Swine Flu

"Another theory as to the cause of Swine Flu might be factory farming. In the United States, pigs travel coast to coast. They can be bred in North Carolina, fattened in the corn belt of Iowa, and slaughtered in California.

While this may reduce short-term costs for the pork industry, the highly contagious nature of diseases like influenza (perhaps made further infectious by the stresses of transport) needs to be considered when calculating the true cost of long-distance live animal transport.

The majority of U.S. pig farms now confine more than 5,000 animals each. With a group of 5,000 animals, if a novel virus shows up it will have more opportunity to replicate and potentially spread than in a group of 100 pigs on a small farm.

With massive concentrations of farm animals within which to mutate, these new swine flu viruses in North America seem to be on an evolutionary fast track, jumping and reassorting between species at an unprecedented rate.
"

He also explains why he thinks a true Bird or Swine Flu pandemic is HIGHLY unlikely and his ideas as to where this mysterious new animal-human flu strain came from.

"Alongside the fear-mongering headlines, I've also seen increasing numbers of reports questioning the true nature of this virus. And rightfully so.

Could a mixed animal-human mutant like this occur naturally? And if not, who made it, and how was it released?

Not one to dabble too deep in conspiracy theories, I don't have to strain very hard to find actual facts to support the notion that this may not be a natural mutation, and that those who stand to gain have the wherewithal to pull off such a stunt.

Just last month I reported on the story that the American pharmaceutical company Baxter was under investigation for distributing the deadly avian flu virus to 18 different countries as part of a seasonal flu vaccine shipment. Czech reporters were probing to see if it may have been part of a deliberate attempt to start a pandemic; as such a "mistake" would be virtually impossible under the security protocols of that virus.

The H5N1 virus on its own is not very airborne. However, when combined with seasonal flu viruses, which are more easily spread, the effect could be a potent, airborne, deadly, biological weapon. If this batch of live bird flu and seasonal flu viruses had reached the public, it could have resulted in dire consequences.

There is a name for this mixing of viruses; it's called "reassortment," and it is one of two ways pandemic viruses are created in the lab. Some scientists say the most recent global outbreak -- the 1977 Russian flu -- was started by a virus created and leaked from a laboratory.

Another example of the less sterling integrity of Big Pharma is the case of Bayer, who sold millions of dollars worth of an injectable blood-clotting medicine to Asian, Latin American, and some European countries in the mid-1980s, even though they knew it was tainted with the AIDS virus.

So while it is morally unthinkable that a drug company would knowingly contaminate flu vaccines with a deadly flu virus such as the bird- or swine flu, it is certainly not impossible. It has already happened more than once.

But there seems to be no repercussions or hard feelings when industry oversteps the boundaries of morality and integrity and enters the arena of obscenity. Because, lo and behold, which company has been chosen to head up efforts, along with WHO, to produce a vaccine against the Mexican swine flu?

Baxter!11 Despite the fact that ink has barely dried on the investigative reports from their should-be-criminal "mistake" against humanity.

According to other sources,12 a top scientist for the United Nations, who has examined the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in Africa, as well as HIV/AIDS victims, has concluded that the current swine flu virus possesses certain transmission "vectors" that suggest the new strain has been genetically-manufactured as a military biological warfare weapon.

The UN expert believes that Ebola, HIV/AIDS, and the current A-H1N1 swine flu virus are biological warfare agents.

In addition, Army criminal investigators are looking into the possibility that disease samples are missing from biolabs at Fort Detrick -- the same Army research lab from which the 2001 anthrax strain was released, according to a recent article in the Fredrick News Post.13 In February, the top biodefense lab halted all its research into Ebola, anthrax, plague, and other diseases known as "select agents," after they discovered virus samples that weren't listed in its inventory and might have been switched with something else.

Pretty interesting! Not sure what I think about it but it's interesting and it does make some sense. More sense than some of what I've been hearing in the news and what's being put out there.

There is a ton more info in his article and although you can say that he kinda minimizes the issue, he does give some pretty sound advice and he tries to explain himself which I find refreshing. I guess it kinda balances everything out a bit.