Drought leaves 164,000 people short of drinking water in China

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Yinchuan (China), April 21 (Xinhua) A five-month drought has left 164,000 people in northwest China's Ningxia Hui region short of drinking water, an official said Tuesday.

The drought has hit 11 counties and districts in the central part of the region, including Zhongning, Haiyuan and Yuanzhou, with a total population of 1.47 million, said Li Kewen, vice director of the regional flood control and drought relief headquarters.

'Little precipitation is expected in central Ningxia in the near future,' he said, adding that there would be no rain in April.

Li said 100,000 people had to buy drinking water from places miles away from their houses.

'Each family has to spend at least 100 yuan ($14.63) on drinking water every month,' said Ma Jun, head of the Xutao village of Zhongning county.

Ma said most villagers chose to buy well water, which tasted salty and bitter, but cost only 70 yuan a cubic metre, as they were unable to afford tap water, which cost up to 300 yuan a cubic metre.

Local governments have mobilised officials and volunteers to carry drinking water for remote schools and households.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Ningxia is close to tibetan plateau, forget about stupid objection, pipe the water from the tibetan foothill to save these deserving peasants. If they are not entitle to it who else?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Thank you for the warning, master. I promise to be a good peasant from now on, and not say anything nasty to that great philosopher whom we have all grown to know and love.

:notworthy:

I'm not anybody's master. It was just that your post was over the top.

I realize you do not care for China, and I am not saying you have to like him, but with all the other stuff that is currently going on here could you please tone it down a little?:smile:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I'm not anybody's master. It was just that your post was over the top.

I realize you do not care for China, and I am not saying you have to like him, but with all the other stuff that is currently going on here could you please tone it down a little?:smile:

Course I will. No problem.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Ningxia is close to tibetan plateau, forget about stupid objection, pipe the water from the tibetan foothill to save these deserving peasants. If they are not entitle to it who else?

looks like China will again force its peasents to move. Even though the local areas are in a drought condition, what little water they have will be diverted to Bijing.

Hebei turns on the tap as drought grips Beijing - People's Daily Online
Beijing to get water from Hebei, Shanxi
Vital Water Resources Diverted to Beijing - AOL Video