Should we have a separate section for translated news from around the world?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I was wondering who here would be interested in translating interesting news articles from around the world that might not be available in English. If there are enough of us, it might be worth having a separate section in which we could post threads presenting interesting articles from around the world that might not be available in English.

Who'd be in?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I was wondering who here would be interested in translating interesting news articles from around the world that might not be available in English. If there are enough of us, it might be worth having a separate section in which we could post threads presenting interesting articles from around the world that might not be available in English.

Who'd be in?

Besides English, I only know a few words in Russian. Certainly not enough to translate articles, that's for sure.;-)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Not only can I NOT do it - I'm not interested in reading it. If there is anything of any true importance out there, it will hit our papers fast enough and it will already be translated.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Not only can I NOT do it - I'm not interested in reading it. If there is anything of any true importance out there, it will hit our papers fast enough and it will already be translated.
Nothing wrong with having two live witnesses to the same event, specially if one is shuffling his feet as he tells his side of things.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Nothing wrong with having two live witnesses to the same event, specially if one is shuffling his feet as he tells his side of things.
:smile: I still don't agree. There just isn't a need for it here. This is called "Canadian Content" is it not?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I wasn't suggesting it be installed here, if you find a page that is not already translated (google still does that also I think with bablefish) out there at least you get an idea of what the locals are saying about current events. If there is an Canadian National news story don't you ever do a follow-up with the local paper?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I wasn't suggesting it be installed here, if you find a page that is not already translated (google still does that also I think with bablefish) out there at least you get an idea of what the locals are saying about current events. If there is an Canadian National news story don't you ever do a follow-up with the local paper?
Not really. If I read some headlines on my homepage that grab my interest, I will read the story and I might go to another page to see if they have more on the story or if they have a different slant. What I read on the internet today is tomorrows newspaper so it's already old news.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

So you think. Just read an English paper and a French paper. Only the most important stuff is translated. But alot of important stuff isn't either... and that's in Quebec.