In Afghanistan, US finds itself lost in translation as military struggles with langua

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Then again, it's amazing that they'd never thought of this before.How do you win a hearts and minds campaign if you don't know the local language?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They thought the end of the barrel was an international language, and it is to a certain extent. Speaking the language is not going to help when you have just killed 30 people who were doing nothing more than attending a wedding.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
They thought the end of the barrel was an international language, and it is to a certain extent. Speaking the language is not going to help when you have just killed 30 people who were doing nothing more than attending a wedding.

But knowing the local lgnauge could help a soldier figure out that they are just attending a wedding and not a rally before killing them.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Most of the time the first shot is from 30,000 ft. (or lower). I still think our NATO commitments only includes if a 'fellow member' is invaded. We go to help them on their own soil, this fighting in foreign lands without some god-damned good proof is horse-**** right from the get-go. Fighting with people like that you make more enemies than you do friends so don't bitch when they shoot back.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Most of the time the first shot is from 30,000 ft. (or lower). I still think our NATO commitments only includes if a 'fellow member' is invaded. We go to help them on their own soil, this fighting in foreign lands without some god-damned good proof is horse-**** right from the get-go. Fighting with people like that you make more enemies than you do friends so don't bitch when they shoot back.

Reallyy? You mean, if I indiscriminately kill people, that makes me enemies? Can't be. After all, Bush had a degree from a prestigious university. He must have known somthing we don't. Maybe that's the problem. Though he got a good education, we didn't. Thus his desperate search for answers in his famous question:

Is our children learning?