Very Short Green Light Time At Traffic Signals

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
On some streets in Vancouver there are traffic jams that could be cleared up if traffic signals simply had more green time to let traffic flow through on main arteries. Many lights are green for less than a minute, and during rush hour when traffic is heaviest, this does nothing to move traffic.

There is an aversion by city traffic bureaucrats to let traffic flow. In other cities around the world, green lights can be 2 minutes long which allows traffic to move in big packets.

Vancouver appears very small time when it comes to traffic flow.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
On some streets in Vancouver there are traffic jams that could be cleared up if traffic signals simply had more green time to let traffic flow through on main arteries. Many lights are green for less than a minute, and during rush hour when traffic is heaviest, this does nothing to move traffic.

There is an aversion by city traffic bureaucrats to let traffic flow. In other cities around the world, green lights can be 2 minutes long which allows traffic to move in big packets.

Vancouver appears very small time when it comes to traffic flow.

This has been an issue in the Lower Mainland for ever. No Municipality wants to syncronize the light system ( although I believe Downtown Vancouver is ) and this causes much of the gridlock we see today.

Don't expect a quick solution to this problem as most city councils see this as a "slow down traffic" solution and not the real problem of causing added polution to an already bad air quality problem we have in the summer time..

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Yes pollution, bad stuff. Hmm. If cars stopped less then they would burn less gas. Anyone see a connection here?

So why do cities bureaucrats seem to have almost no responsibility here to be greener? Traffic signals haven't changed for decades, yet the world has.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This reminded me of a joke I read in a newspaper a while ago. Well, it wasn’t exactly a joke, it was reported as a true story, but it is also a very good joke.

A car had stopped at a red light. It had a bumper sticker, which said ‘Honk if you love Jesus.’

Another car pulled up behind the first car. He driver of the second car saw the bumper sticker and promptly honked.

Whereupon a face peered out from the window of the car ahead and yelled at him “Can’t you see the light is still red, stupid?”

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
This reminded me of a joke I read in a newspaper a while ago. Well, it wasn’t exactly a joke, it was reported as a true story, but it is also a very good joke.

A car had stopped at a red light. It had a bumper sticker, which said ‘Honk if you love Jesus.’

Another car pulled up behind the first car. He driver of the second car saw the bumper sticker and promptly honked.

Whereupon a face peered out from the window of the car ahead and yelled at him “Can’t you see the light is still red, stupid?”

That's funny, everytime I go thru a yellow light I wonder if there is a red Light Camera, especially a shorth yellow, and always say "Jesus I should have honked"..