Bad NHL camera angles, can't see the net

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I've figured it out. The NHL cameras when the puck is in the offensive zone, often don't show the net. What the camera does is focus on the player with the puck. Even when a player is shooting at the net, the camera will not be showing the goalie and net. When the player shoots the puck, the puck is going to whizzing at or past the net quickly and so will the camera.

When the puck is passed back to the pointman for a shot, the goalie and net are often out of the picture, so when the defenceman takes his shot, they have to quickly zoom back to show the goalie and net. This means fans like me are getting a headache watching the camera fly around the offensive zone, and when there is a goal we don't see the puck pass the netminder and twinkle the twine.

It is very irritating and substandard camera work. So much camera whizzing I guess is supposed to create the illusion of more excitement, it is a failure.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What I hate is the endzone camera when it stays on during power plays. There is a reason why tickets on the side cost more than the ones behind the net.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
"When the puck is passed back to the pointman for a shot, the goalie and net are often out of the picture, so when the defenceman takes his shot, they have to quickly zoom back to show the goalie and net. This means fans like me are getting a headache watching the camera fly around the offensive zone, and when there is a goal we don't see the puck pass the netminder and twinkle the twine."

This goes back to the "I can't see the puck" complaint. When used to watch I never gave a darn about the puck. It was the motion of the players that I kept track of. The finer points came out in the instant re-play.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
So tall, do you faint when you turn on your computer?

Endzone camera during power plays? What's wrong with that?

guess not, I'm typing aren't I. !!!!

Nothing much bothers me about any cameras during hockey games, except when
the camerman loses track of the play, but that's nothing either, doesn't happen
very often.
My husband hates the camera angle from the end, complains about it every time
it happens, I don't say anything, just wait for him to stop complaining and get
on with what's happening in the game.(gets the same look as the
goalie), I kind of like it, different view, see the game from a different point,
sort of interesting, doesn't last long, so what's the problem.
It makes one realize how the goalie sees the game, the play is easy to follow
from that angle, you're right on the ice level, almost.
I think those complaints are trivial, I don't think of them till you mention them,
or my husband mentions them.
Just my opinion, each to his own.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The camera from behind the net is okay sometimes-but not all the time, it's supposed to show the crazy intensity of hockey.

Why does the camera always want to show the player, and often omit the net when he shoots at it? The puck whizzes past the goalie-the camera has to catch up, and you can't fully see a goal, nor how close the shot really was if he misses. They don't have replays all the time for every shot. It is very bizarre camera work.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Just had a chat with my husband concerning your complaints about the camera work during a hockey game, he is the same as I, we don't agree with your views
at all, we have no problem with the present method of showing the games, but
he does agree with the 'behind the net' cameras, he hates them, but I don't mind
them, so we're are split there.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
You know, hockey is so freakin' fast these days, that even if you see a shot leave a player's stick and the net is in full view, it can be hard to see where the puck went in. There are deflections and bodies jostling, that a clear view is not even a clear view anymore.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You know, hockey is so freakin' fast these days, that even if you see a shot leave a player's stick and the net is in full view, it can be hard to see where the puck went in. There are deflections and bodies jostling, that a clear view is not even a clear view anymore.

Yes it's very fast and I love it, and if you've been watching hockey for about 60
years like I have, those tiny lapses concerning exactly where the puck is, is just
part of the game, it gets picked up again in nano seconds.
I don't always watch the puck, as I'm watching where many of the players are,
on the ice, then back to the puck, passing plays, shots, there are many things
to pay attention to, and the puck is just one of them.
It's nice to see replays to know sometimes exactly how the puck went into the
net, and that includes the camera 'being' on the net when it went in, but it
happens so fast that a replay, explains the details, and that's good.