Wearing Helmets

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
After the death of Natasha Richardson due to a fall while skiing, how do we convince young people to wear helmets in all situations where there is a danger of head injury? How do we convince them that "being cool" is in fact "being stupid"? My grandkids don't seem to have a problem with it and yet some kids do.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And wearing gloves and masks to protect from communicable diseases, and pillows to prevent injuries from tripping, and ........

I guess the more the better, eh? All the health workers and dentists wear the gloves and masks, I used to think it was all unnecessary, but who knows maybe one life was saved.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Safety skiing is very important, but there is probably more head injures in showers and bath tubs each year......The problem with helmets is the shampoo....

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
After the death of Natasha Richardson due to a fall while skiing, how do we convince young people to wear helmets in all situations where there is a danger of head injury? How do we convince them that "being cool" is in fact "being stupid"? My grandkids don't seem to have a problem with it and yet some kids do.

Perhaps making it mandatory for everyone to have to wear helmets at any public skiing(or even private if payment is given) establishment would help? Of course, enforcing it would be difficult. For example, look at the helmet law for bicycles. Even though kids are legally required to wear helmets, you see them riding around all the time without them.

I read an article which stated that Natasha's sister attempted to get into the hospital to see her(I believe the day she passed away) and the media swarmed all over her. That sickens me. There is a time and a place for media, and that is NOT one of them. Disgusting.:angryfire:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yep. Media types definitely lack in the discretion dept.
I think it should depend upon the likelihood of sustaining injury. Otherwise, where do we stop at imposing protective measurements? I think wearing one while skiing is a good idea, but how many head injuries have occured to people while skiing? As many as motorcycle accidents? Or hockey accidents? Skateboarding?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yep. Media types definitely lack in the discretion dept.
I think it should depend upon the likelihood of sustaining injury. Otherwise, where do we stop at imposing protective measurements? I think wearing one while skiing is a good idea, but how many head injuries have occured to people while skiing? As many as motorcycle accidents? Or hockey accidents? Skateboarding?

It is already mandatory to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle. Skateboarding? That one is iffy. Perhaps if it was in a professional format(such as the ones that Tony Hawk competes in) they could wear them, but I don't think you would ever get a skateboarder to wear a helmet.

If the hockey is played in a publicly owned rink, then perhaps they should have to wear helmets. If it is just a rink on a pond, then it should be up to the owner of the property.

Lots of grey areas in this, and there are no absolute answers.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Perhaps making it mandatory for everyone to have to wear helmets at any public skiing(or even private if payment is given) establishment would help? Of course, enforcing it would be difficult. For example, look at the helmet law for bicycles. Even though kids are legally required to wear helmets, you see them riding around all the time without them.

I read an article which stated that Natasha's sister attempted to get into the hospital to see her(I believe the day she passed away) and the media swarmed all over her. That sickens me. There is a time and a place for media, and that is NOT one of them. Disgusting.:angryfire:

I don't think it would be hard to enforce. The ski operator checks for a tag, if there is no helmet, too bad, you can't ski.

Yes, if the media smells blood, trouble, etc etc, they are all over it like flies on crap. I agree, its disgusting.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
When I was skiing in Fernie earlier this year a lot of the younger kids were wearing helmets. In fact I even made a comment to my hubby that I was surprised to see that.
Most of them were snowboarders though. I wonder if it is less expected for skiiers to wear a helmet than the boarders.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
It is already mandatory to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle. Skateboarding? That one is iffy. Perhaps if it was in a professional format(such as the ones that Tony Hawk competes in) they could wear them, but I don't think you would ever get a skateboarder to wear a helmet.

If the hockey is played in a publicly owned rink, then perhaps they should have to wear helmets. If it is just a rink on a pond, then it should be up to the owner of the property.

Lots of grey areas in this, and there are no absolute answers.

Its manditory for skateboarders to wear helmets in competition. It least the ones I have seen.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think it wearing a helmet for minors should be manditory. I think as an adult it should be optional.

Thin the herd.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Safety skiing is very important, but there is probably more head injures in showers and bath tubs each year......The problem with helmets is the shampoo....

Don't you wear your elbow & knee pads and helmet in the
shower too? I'm just kid'n....

Isn't this just one of those freak accidents that just happened
to happen to someone famous? I don't know enough to even
form an opinion yet, but could we all be over-reacting?

Sometimes (pretty rarely) people get hit by lightning, but we
don't legislate in that everyone has to cart around a grounded
and insulated lightning rod. Is this fall by Natasha Richardson
the type of injury that would fall into that category?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Don't you wear your elbow & knee pads and helmet in the
shower too? I'm just kid'n....

Isn't this just one of those freak accidents that just happened
to happen to someone famous? I don't know enough to even
form an opinion yet, but could we all be over-reacting?

Sometimes (pretty rarely) people get hit by lightning, but we
don't legislate in that everyone has to cart around a grounded
and insulated lightning rod. Is this fall by Natasha Richardson
the type of injury that would fall into that category?

This is not to be taken for fact, but apparently it was suggested to her to get checked out immediately after she fell. She said she was fine, and just wanted to go to her room. Later, she complained of a massive migraine and that is when it spiralled out of control. Who knows what would have happened if she had gone to get medical attention right away?:-(

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Perhaps it should be up to the individual if they want to wear one or not, but I think if one chooses not to, they should sign a waiver that they are totally responsible for medical procedures and are responsible to their loved ones and to the public. We all know that gov'ts tend to nanny and sometimes cause as many problems as they solve by making some laws governing issues.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Perhaps it should be up to the individual if they want to wear one or not, but I think if one chooses not to, they should sign a waiver that they are totally responsible for medical procedures and are responsible to their loved ones and to the public. We all know that gov'ts tend to nanny and sometimes cause as many problems as they solve by making some laws governing issues.

That could be a way they would go. They have started billing people that have to be rescued if they are lost/injured/in danger due to ignoring warning signs and going wherever they pleased. Perhaps something like that may factor in whether or not a person will wear a helmet. All kids should have to wear helmets while skiing, though. No exceptions.