Monsanto's Uphill Battle in Germany

Stretch
Monsanto's Uphill Battle in Germany
The dispute between the two camps revolves around the opportunities and risks involved in green genetic engineering. It's about companies that are playing God and about fundamental questions like: What should man be permitted to do? What can science do? And should we be allowed to do things just because we can? The dispute is also about freedom and its limitations, the freedom to carry out research, and the freedom of consumers, farmers, beekeepers and a corporation. Where does one side's freedom end and the other's begin, and who draws the boundaries?

Webmaster's Commentary:
The problem is that American corporations (ex demonstrated by Bayer) cannot be relied on to be truthful about potential harm form their products. Laboratories can only test for those risk factors they already know about. Unexpected side effects can show up once GM products are in the wild, and the problem with a genetics accident is that once released, getting it back under control may well be impossible.
At issue is the revelation that altered genes jot only affect the targeted portion of the genome, but can also produce unexpected changes to other parts of the organism as well.
There is hard evidence that pollen from GM plants harms beneficial insect species. There is evidence that animals fed on crops from GM seeds suffer reproductive harm.
Earlier this week we ran a story which identified agrobacterium, a plant bacteria used for gene insertions, in patients suffering Morgellon's Disease, a condition which has appeared coincident with, and primarily in areas with the highest density use of genetically modified crops.
No doubt GM companies will spend vast sums of money to keep the lid on such a scandal, as trillions of dollars are at stake not only with the collapse of the entire GM industry but the lawsuits which would follow hard proof of a GM link to any of these other problems as well.
Fighting in the Field: Monsanto's Uphill Battle in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International (external - login to view)

CDNBear
Stretch, you've finally posted something I completely agree with.

Monsanto is with out a doubt in my mind, a corrupt company. Hell bent on trademarking the worlds agricultural food supply.

There has been remotely enough testing on their products. Products like Round Up Ready Soy Beans. And so on.

Good post Stretch.

barney
Thanks for the link. Germany is a such a contradiction: on the one hand it is pharma-heaven and on the other, among the most progressive of states.

I don't understand why people are eager to use these products; it seems like a big risk in order to save a few bucks. Then again, this is the 'me' generation so risking an ecological disaster and health crisis at the same time for the sake of income is just par for the course I suppose.

MHz
No doubt you have read about the farmer from Sask. who won in court against them . Another one that likes to bury the truth under a pile of Lawyers.
It mentions insects, does the bee die-off get mentioned in no uncertain terms, never been proved. Where is science when you really need it ?
Ever hear of a huge seed-bank being set up by the Big 'M' in Norway or someplace like that. If that documentary doesn't send a chill up your spine nothing will.

Stretch
Monsanto's Dream Bill: HR 875

'To begin reversing GM contamination will require ending the power biotech companies such as Monsanto exert over our government and through that, over our food.
HR 875, was introduced by Rosa DeLauro whose husband Stanley Greenburg works for Monsanto.
The bill is monstrous on level after level - the power it would give to Monsanto, the criminalization of seed banking, the prison terms and confiscatory fines for farmers, the 24 hours GPS tracking of their animals, the easements on their property to allow for warrantless government entry, the stripping away of their property rights, the imposition by the filthy, greedy industrial side of anti-farming international "industrial" standards to independent farms - the only part of our food system that still works, the planned elimination of farmers through all these means.
The corporations want the land, they want more intensive industrialization, they want the end of normal animals so they can substitute patented genetically engineered ones they own, they want the end of normal seeds and thus of seed banking by farmers or individuals. They want control over all seeds, animals, water, and land.'
OpEdNews » Monsanto's dream bill, HR 875 (external - login to view)

YouTube - Criminalize Organic Farming EXCUSE ME BILLS HR 875 and S 425

Last edited by Stretch; Mar 12th, 2009 at 08:27 AM..

CanadianLove
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Ever hear of a huge seed-bank being set up by the Big 'M' in Norway or someplace like that. If that documentary doesn't send a chill up your spine nothing will.

There are about 6 million accessions, or samples of a particular population, stored as seeds in about 1,300 genebanks throughout the world as of 2006. This amount represents a small fraction of the world's biodiversity (external - login to view), and many regions of the world have not been fully explored.
  • The Svalbard International Seed Vault (external - login to view) has been built inside a mountain in a man-made tunnel on the frozen Norwegian (external - login to view) island of Spitsbergen (external - login to view). It is designed to survive catastrophes such as nuclear war (external - login to view) and world war. It is operated by the Global Crop Diversity Trust (external - login to view). A tunnel has been created in a sandstone mountain on Spitsbergen, which is part of the Svalbard (external - login to view) archipelago, about 1307 kilometers (812 miles) from the North Pole. The area's permafrost (external - login to view) will keep the vault below the freezing point of water and the seeds are protected by 1-metre thick walls of steel-reinforced concrete. There are two airlocks and two blast-proof doors.[2] (external - login to view) The vault accepted the first seeds on 26 February 2008.
  • The Wellcome Trust Millennium Building (WTMB) houses the Millennium Seed Bank Project (external - login to view). It is located at Wakehurst Place (external - login to view) in West Sussex (external - login to view). It provides space for the storage of thousands of seed samples in an underground vault.[3] (external - login to view)
  • Nikolai Vavilov (external - login to view) (1887-1943) was a Russian (external - login to view) geneticist and botanist who, through botanic-agronomic expeditions, collected seeds from all over the world. He set up one of the first seedbanks, in Leningrad (external - login to view) (now St Petersburg), which survived the 28-month Siege of Leningrad (external - login to view) in World War II (external - login to view). It is now known as the Vavilov Institute of Plant Industry (external - login to view). Several botanists starved to death rather than eating the collected seeds.

Stretch
Monsanto's Roundup Residues in GM Food Cause Cell Damage
'Residues of Monsanto's Roundup herbicide found in GM food and feed can cause cell damage and even death, even at very low levels. The authors of a study on the subject say their research "... points to undesirable effects which are currently masked or hidden from scientific scrutiny."
Roundup herbicides are among the most commonly used in the world, especially on GM crops that are engineered to be Roundup resistant. Their residues are among the major pollutants, and they are authorized as residues contaminating GM foods and feed at the tested levels.'
Monsanto's Roundup Residues in GM Food Cause Cell Damage (external - login to view)

Stretch

YouTube - Monsanto Indian Farmer Suicide

Stretch
Monsanto GM-corn harvest fails massively in South Africa (external - login to view)

Tags: SCIENCE/HEALTH/CLIMATE/NATURE (external - login to view)
South African farmers suffered millions of dollars in lost income when 82,000 hectares of genetically-manipulated corn (maize) failed to produce hardly any seeds.The plants look lush and healthy from the outside. Monsanto has offered compensation.

Webmaster's Commentary:
"You get a free gallon of Roundup!"
Monsanto GM-corn harvest fails massively in South Africa - Digital Journal: Your News Network (external - login to view)

Stretch
Monsanto Sues Germany to Force GMO Food
'Monsanto is now suing the German government (and, by that, the people) to force them to grow their GM Corn.'
OpEdNews » Monsanto Sues Germany to Force GMO Food (external - login to view)

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by StretchView Post

Monsanto Sues Germany to Force GMO Food
'Monsanto is now suing the German government (and, by that, the people) to force them to grow their GM Corn.'
OpEdNews » Monsanto Sues Germany to Force GMO Food (external - login to view)

I hope Monsanto loses, I hope that Germany bans every single Monsanto product from Germany, lol.

Stretch
Could Monsanto Be Responsible for One Indian Farmer's Death Every Thirty Minutes? (external - login to view)

Over the past decade, millions of Indian farmers have been promised radically increased harvests and income if they switch from their traditional age tested farming methods to genetically modified (GM) Bt cotton seeds. So, they borrow money to buy GM seeds, which need certain pesticides, which requires more money. And when rain fall is sparse, the GM crops fare far worse than traditional crops – a fact that these farmers oftentimes don’t learn until it’s too late and they’re standing there with failed crops, spiraling debts, and no income.
Monsanto has been ruthless in their drive to use India as a testing ground for genetically modified crops, and it gives us a very clear picture of what could be in store for the rest of the world’s small farmers if they’re allowed to continue.

Webmaster's Commentary:
And if that suicide gene escaped into the wild and starts to contaminate other plant life, entire species could become extinct.

Could Monsanto Be Responsible for One Indian Farmer's Death Every Thirty Minutes? (external - login to view)

L Gilbert
You can't just pick on Monsanto. It isn't the only one that's genetically engineering seeds and whatnot.
As far as what science can do and does, I have no problem with it doing anything for the sake of research. I have a problem with people that use it to have adverse effects on people in order to make a buck.

Stretch
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

You can't just pick on Monsanto. It isn't the only one that's genetically engineering seeds and whatnot.
As far as what science can do and does, I have no problem with it doing anything for the sake of research. I have a problem with people that use it to have adverse effects on people in order to make a buck.

it falls under the "population control" banner

Stretch
Scientist Warning of Health Hazards of Monsanto's Herbicide Receives Threats (external - login to view)

According to an article in the Argentine press, after news about the study broke, Dr. Carrasco was the victim of an act of intimidation, when four men arrived at his laboratory in the Faculty of Medicine and acted extremely aggressively.
Two of the men were said to be members of an agrochemical industry body but refused to give their names. The other two claimed to be a lawyer and notary. They apparently interrogated Dr. Carrasco and demanded to see details of the experiments. They left a card Basílico, Andrada & Santurio, attorneys on behalf of Felipe Alejandro Noël.
Scientist Warning of Health Hazards of Monsanto's Herbicide Receives Threats (external - login to view)

and roundup is NOT frog friendly as it claims on the label.

taxslave
It may well be several generations before the full implications of the GMO disaster are fully recognized. Humans are programed to digest certain genetic makeups. When these are changed we may not be able to get any food value despite over eating. Only time will tell just how bad fake food really is. Actually gets more complicated and worse than that but the whole story is rather confusing unless one has a fair amount of biology knowledge.
Compared to GMO's embryonic stem cell research is a non issue.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Humans are programed to digest certain genetic makeups. When these are changed we may not be able to get any food value despite over eating.

That's nonsense. Your body and mine contains a whole suite of enzymes which cut macromolecules apart at specific locations. Some cut apart carbs, some proteins and amino acids, some for lipids, and some which can cut apart many different types of molecules. The addition of one gene in corn, which produces a metabolite to keep away moths will not change that.

I suppose instead farmers should just dump tonnes of insecticide on their crops instead, and you can ingest that, rather than a repellent which forms in the leaves (inedible portion) of the corn plant, and I might add is found naturally on the leaves of green leafy plants that are not of the biotechnology type.

Any other suggestions while we're at it? Indirect consequences to pollinators and other ecology-level matters is a serious issue, but claiming we won't be able to withdraw nutrition, that's nonsense.

Nuggler
There's a very disturbing video called "The World According to Monsanto" which used to be available on You Tube, and Download Free Political Documentaries And Watch Many Interesting, Controversial Free Documentary Films On That You Wont Find On The TV! (external - login to view), I believe.

Seems like both of them have been pulled.

Monsanto's goal seems to be to control and patent both seeds and animals, with the final result being; if they don't sell the seeds, it won't get grown.

Try googling "the world according to monsanto", and you might get lucky and get a copy of the vid before monsanto orders it taken down.

Scary shyte.

Stretch
you might it here....................

the world according to monsanto - Dogpile Web Search (external - login to view)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...83407501596844

#
Last edited by Stretch; Sep 2nd, 2009 at 06:18 PM..

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

That's nonsense. Your body and mine contains a whole suite of enzymes which cut macromolecules apart at specific locations. Some cut apart carbs, some proteins and amino acids, some for lipids, and some which can cut apart many different types of molecules. The addition of one gene in corn, which produces a metabolite to keep away moths will not change that.

I suppose instead farmers should just dump tonnes of insecticide on their crops instead, and you can ingest that, rather than a repellent which forms in the leaves (inedible portion) of the corn plant, and I might add is found naturally on the leaves of green leafy plants that are not of the biotechnology type.

Any other suggestions while we're at it? Indirect consequences to pollinators and other ecology-level matters is a serious issue, but claiming we won't be able to withdraw nutrition, that's nonsense.

Not nonsense. Go ask a naturopath. The only people that would deliberately eat anything Monsanto builds would pop any pill big Pharma said is good for you. Same bunch, they are in it for money not out of the goodness of their hearts.There is no need for all the tons of pesticides used on food either. Best to eat organic foods. As I said the science somewhat eludes me but that is the readers digest version.

Tonington
No, it is nonsense. I don't need to ask a naturopath how biochemistry works...I know how enzymes work. The addition of one gene, which doesn't change the nutritional properties of the corn, is not going to change the way your bodies enzymes react with the lysine in the corn. That's plain ignorance to suggest such a thing.

You've just been frightened by the GM boogeyman. If we selectively bred the plant to produce a chemical to fight the moths (we do), you wouldn't hear anything about this( I'd bet you haven't). You probably don't realize as an example how much insect resistance is bred into the rice you eat, assuming you eat rice at all. Insect resistance that is only found in a tiny fraction of wild plants, so much so that it is beyond the expected genotypes that you would find in the wild source of the rice.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

There's a very disturbing video called "The World According to Monsanto" which used to be available on You Tube, and Download Free Political Documentaries And Watch Many Interesting, Controversial Free Documentary Films On That You Wont Find On The TV! (external - login to view), I believe.

Seems like both of them have been pulled.

Monsanto's goal seems to be to control and patent both seeds and animals, with the final result being; if they don't sell the seeds, it won't get grown.

Try googling "the world according to monsanto", and you might get lucky and get a copy of the vid before monsanto orders it taken down.

Scary shyte.

Yup. Les & I posted it in another thread a few weeks ago. It is scary.

AnnaG

No, it is nonsense. I don't need to ask a naturopath how biochemistry works...I know how enzymes work. The addition of one gene, which doesn't change the nutritional properties of the corn, is not going to change the way your bodies enzymes react with the lysine in the corn. That's plain ignorance to suggest such a thing.

You've just been frightened by the GM boogeyman. If we selectively bred the plant to produce a chemical to fight the moths (we do), you wouldn't hear anything about this( I'd bet you haven't). You probably don't realize as an example how much insect resistance is bred into the rice you eat, assuming you eat rice at all. Insect resistance that is only found in a tiny fraction of wild plants, so much so that it is beyond the expected genotypes that you would find in the wild source of the rice.

Yup.
I would have no problem irradiating my food or using particular pesticides, but I do have a problem with some of Monsanto's stunts and its motive. Same with Wyeth and Pfiser. I'll mess with my own food to what I want it to be, thanks.

Tonington
I have a problem with some of Monsanto's stunts and moves as well. But not the issue raised above by taxslave. They are frankly, ridiculous.

barney

If we selectively bred the plant to produce a chemical to fight the moths (we do), you wouldn't hear anything about this( I'd bet you haven't). You probably don't realize as an example how much insect resistance is bred into the rice you eat, assuming you eat rice at all. Insect resistance that is only found in a tiny fraction of wild plants, so much so that it is beyond the expected genotypes that you would find in the wild source of the rice.

Breeding crops over time is not the same as introducing material directly into the cell. Neither you nor anybody else knows what the consequences of transgenics will be (that's putting aside issues of contamination).

Suggesting that those who question genetic manipulation of this nature are naive is, in this case, quite pompously naive.

Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

Yup.
I would have no problem irradiating my food or using particular pesticides, but I do have a problem with some of Monsanto's stunts and its motive. Same with Wyeth and Pfiser. I'll mess with my own food to what I want it to be, thanks.

Uh huh and when you develop cancer from the accumulated absorbed radiation and other toxins, we all have to pay through the nose to keep you alive. See this is why there have to be laws keeping ALL harmful products off the market: too many people aren't responsible in what they consume and that is harmful to society.

you might it here....................

the world according to monsanto - Dogpile Web Search (external - login to view)

Controlling Our Food

#

Informative to a degree but very melodramatic; I get a chuckle when these documentaries add the sinister background music whenever the big, bad, evil company does something nasty.

What's more it merely preaches to the converted; if you want to reach the masses, you need to make a feature film that simplifies the whole thing through characters that people can personally relate to (e.g. Costa-Gavras' film, "Missing" with Jack Lemmon).

All that said, I never cease to find it colossally pathetic that people endlessly blame the company for everything; its job is to maximize profits by any means necessary, and it's doing a fine job. Any other priorities that might exist are rescinded the moment they interfere with that (so don't expect them to self-regulate). Don't like it? Maybe you shouldn't have spent the last few decades voting for governments that represent the very same interests as those companies you love to hate so much.

Putting aside regulations (i.e. to reign in companies), the fact that any country would even allow for the formation of a private entity whose primary purpose blatantly contradicts the--supposed--purpose of the state (i.e. to serve and protect the population as a whole) is awe-inspiring in its insanity.

AnnaG
Anna's version of pesticide is lime/sulphur (on our fruit trees) in the fall. Lime in the soil at gardening time. Toxins? Hardly.

Irradiation? Don't buy into the hysteria. We don't. Food Irradiation (external - login to view) Photons and electrons don't leave radiation other than a little heat.

We grow most of our own food anyway. As I said, particular pesticides.
Last edited by AnnaG; Oct 12th, 2009 at 01:40 AM..

Stretch
Monsanto Under Investigation by Seven US States (external - login to view)

Tuesday, 13 April 2010 06:51

'At least seven US state attorneys general are investigating whether Monsanto Company has abused its market power to lock out competitors and raise prices on seed. Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, and two other unidentified states are in a working group to investigate the biotech giant.

The states are probing whether Monsanto violated laws by offering rebates to seed distributors for excluding rival seeds, imposing limits on combining the product with other genetic modifications, or offering cash incentives to switch farmers to more expensive generation of seed varieties.'
Read more: Monsanto Under Investigation by Seven US States (external - login to view)

CDNBear

Monsanto Under Investigation by Seven US States (external - login to view)

Tuesday, 13 April 2010 06:51

'At least seven US state attorneys general are investigating whether Monsanto Company has abused its market power to lock out competitors and raise prices on seed. Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, and two other unidentified states are in a working group to investigate the biotech giant.

The states are probing whether Monsanto violated laws by offering rebates to seed distributors for excluding rival seeds, imposing limits on combining the product with other genetic modifications, or offering cash incentives to switch farmers to more expensive generation of seed varieties.'
Read more: Monsanto Under Investigation by Seven US States (external - login to view)

OK, before I put a hole in your article Stretch, I support your premise here. I have a serious issue with Monsanto.

The problem is, this is one monster, trying to eat another.

I can understand how any litigation against Monsanto might appear to be good. But these states aren't going after Monsanto because their product is detrimental to the world food supply. They're going after Monsanto, because Monsanto's compeditors have cried foul.

If Monsanto were to fall tomorrow, DuPont would simply pick up where they left off.

This is a case of helping one rabid dog, bite another rabid dog.

In the end, you still have a rabid dog on your hands.