The Most Dangerous Cities in Canada

Tyr
Living in Burnaby, BC, It doesn't surprise me that there are 4 BC cities in the top ten. What does surprise me is that Toronto has fallen out of the top ten.

What is the crime like where you live?

MacLeans

SASKATOON
WINNIPEG
REGINA
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C.
EDMONTON
CHILLIWACK, B.C.
HALIFAX
VANCOUVER
SURREY, B.C.
VICTORIA, B.C
Last edited by Tyr; Mar 7th, 2009 at 12:29 PM..

Spade
Good morning, Tyr.
The crime rate is on the decline across Canada; that it not to minimize the turf war in Vancouver.
The Daily, Thursday, July 17, 2008. Crime statistics

SirJosephPorter
Spade, I think the crime rate has been the decline for a long time now; it is just that at election time, Conservatives like to whip up the stories of skyrocketing crime rate and scare the voters into voting Conservative.

There may be crime increase in specific communities, for special reasons, like gang warfare, or above normal drug activity etc. So BC may be a victim of that, I donít know.

As for Toronto, I donít think it has ever been No. 1 or 2 in crime rates. It is just that Toronto is the center of the world as far as Canada is concerned, so any crime activity, any murders in Toronto make national news. Even the smallest hamlet in BC learns of a murder committed in Toronto. I think that gives the false impression of Toronto as a crime ridden cesspool. But the reality is totally different.

On the other hand, no matter how many murders they have in BC, the news rarely reaches Ontario. So it comes as somewhat of a surprise to learn that several cities in BC have a high crime rate.

Tyr
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorterView Post

Spade, I think the crime rate has been the decline for a long time now; it is just that at election time, Conservatives like to whip up the stories of skyrocketing crime rate and scare the voters into voting Conservative.

There may be crime increase in specific communities, for special reasons, like gang warfare, or above normal drug activity etc. So BC may be a victim of that, I donít know.

As for Toronto, I donít think it has ever been No. 1 or 2 in crime rates. It is just that Toronto is the center of the world as far as Canada is concerned, so any crime activity, any murders in Toronto make national news. Even the smallest hamlet in BC learns of a murder committed in Toronto. I think that gives the false impression of Toronto as a crime ridden cesspool. But the reality is totally different.

On the other hand, no matter how many murders they have in BC, the news rarely reaches Ontario. So it comes as somewhat of a surprise to learn that several cities in BC have a high crime rate.

It is just that Toronto is the center of the world as far as Canada is concerned

uh. No.

Toronto is the centre of the known universe as far as Torontonians are concerned

Francis2004
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorterView Post

There may be crime increase in specific communities, for special reasons, like gang warfare, or above normal drug activity etc. So BC may be a victim of that, I don’t know.

As for Toronto, I don’t think it has ever been No. 1 or 2 in crime rates. It is just that Toronto is the center of the world as far as Canada is concerned, so any crime activity, any murders in Toronto make national news. Even the smallest hamlet in BC learns of a murder committed in Toronto. I think that gives the false impression of Toronto as a crime ridden cesspool. But the reality is totally different.

If other cities thought they had a problem, 2009 will be the greater Vancouver's year.. As of today here is an intercative Map of the hits

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/tl/map/bc_me...de_090204.html

To which I count at minimum 12+ at this time. These are gang related only and do not include other types of murders..

Quote:

There have been 29 shootings in the metro Vancouver region since late January, 12 of them deadly.

CTV British Columbia- Gang war getting serious, Vancouver cops say - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

Needless to say, our numbers this year will be off the wall.

Cannuck
We had a kid spinning do-nuts on Main Street once. It dominated the local news for 6 weeks.

Tyr
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

We had a kid spinning do-nuts on Main Street once. It dominated the local news for 6 weeks.

.....another of those metropolis' that just introduced electricty and indoor plumbing.....?

Cannuck
What's plumbing?

Tyr
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrView Post

Living in Burnaby, BC, It doesn't surprise me that there are 4 BC cities in the top ten. What does surprise me is that Toronto has fallen out of the top ten.

What is the crime like where you live?

MacLeans

SASKATOON
WINNIPEG
REGINA
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C.
EDMONTON
CHILLIWACK, B.C.
HALIFAX
VANCOUVER
SURREY, B.C.
VICTORIA, B.C

I was surprised to see Victoria on the top ten list. I haven't been over there in ~5 yrs, but from what I remember it was senior citizens and "high tea" at the Empress

Cannuck
Five of the top ten are in BC....sucks to be you guys. You should move to Alberta. We have electricity almost everywhere now.

petros
All in the wild west except for Halifax. That must be a reflection on the cod shortages.

Tyr
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Five of the top ten are in BC....sucks to be you guys. You should move to Alberta. We have electricity almost everywhere now.

It was the indoor plumbing I was concerned with. I have wireless and can read by candlelight

bill barilko

I was surprised to see Victoria on the top ten list. I haven't been over there in ~5 yrs, but from what I remember it was senior citizens and "high tea" at the Empress

There are a couple of bad 'hoods in Victoria and downtown has a lot of homelessness with concomitant drug dealing/petty crime.

Ron in Regina
I'm kind'a happy (sort of) that Regina has dropped out of the
number one spot out of the one hundred cities compared. I
would be happier if we dropped to the middle of the pack or
lower, but we're not number one this time around.

petros

"High" tea is correct but it has moved to infront of the coffee shop down by the Bay.

petros
It's okay Ron. Have you seen all the 14 year olds pushing strollers to beef things up? We'll be back on top soon.

Tyr
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

"High" tea is correct but it has moved to infront of the coffee shop down by the Bay.

Senior Citizens rock!!!

Crazy "kids"

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Good morning, Tyr.
The crime rate is on the decline across Canada; that it not to minimize the turf war in Vancouver.
The Daily, Thursday, July 17, 2008. Crime statistics

Maybe it has changed now:
Police claim win in latest gang battle
Vancouver police said Friday they have won the latest battle in the city's gang war with the arrests of rival gangsters linked to almost 100 shootings.

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

It's okay Ron. Have you seen all the 14 year olds pushing strollers to beef things up? We'll be back on top soon.

Haven't Regina & Saskatoon both been in the top five on this
McLeans smear list for about the last 15 years or so?
Coincidence? Some proud 30yrs old Grandma's somewhere?

petros

Senior Citizens rock!!!

Crazy "kids"

I think you can still pick up a flapper down on Front Street.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Haven't Regina & Saskatoon both been in the top five on this
McLeans smear list for about the last 15 years or so?
Coincidence? Some proud 30yrs old Grandma's somewhere?

Great grandmothers. All three generations on one corner trying to get picked up by the same guy from Wilcox.