Is Rush Limbaugh Really the New GOP Leader?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It was a brilliant master stroke on the part of Democratic strategists, when they proclaimed Rush Limbaugh to be the effective leader of the Republican Party.

Opinion polls show that Limbaugh has favorable rating of around 11%, he is more unpopular than Rev. Jeremiah Wright, former pastor of Obama. So it is in the Democrats’ interest to paint him as the leader of the Republican Party.

The problem for the Republicans is, the far right Republican base simply adores and loves Limbaugh. Many from the base probably would agree that Limbaugh is the real leader of the Republican Party.

Unfortunately for the Republicans, he turns off moderates and independents big time. Now ,Limbaugh himself doesn’t care what the fallout is of his rants. It gives him good rating and that is what he is concerned about. With the recent Democratic focus on Limbaugh, his ratings may even increase.

Which is good news for Democrats and for Limbaugh, but bad news for the Republican Party. If Limbaugh is generally considered to be the head of Republican Party, they are in big trouble, come next election.

If economy is in the tank, then of course, nothing matters, Republicans will be elected regardless. However, if the economy is in reasonably decent shape and the country in general considers Limbaugh to be the leader of the Republican Party, Republicans probably will end up with 25% of the votes. The may make very modest gains in the House and may even lose seats in the Senate(I think about 20 Republican Senators are up for election next time, only 13 or 14 Democrats).

I remember back when Clinton was successful in demonizing Newt Gingrich. It got so bad that Democrats only had to say ‘Newt supports such and such proposal’, and automatically 55% Americans would oppose it.

The Democratic strategy is clear, to demonize Limbaugh and to crown him as the leader of the Republican Party. And Republicans don’t seem to have any counter measure against it. GOP leader Steele stepped right into it, when he criticized Limbaugh and later he had to apologize. The democrats are probably laughing their heads off.

Republicans better hope that Obama really fails (as Limbaugh wishes) and country is in deep trouble come next election, or it will be the Republicans who will be in deep trouble.

Anyway, it was a brilliant strategic move on the part of Democrats.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There are some high stakes poker all around. Interesting times we're in.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
There are some high stakes poker all around. Interesting times we're in.

Kreskin, I understand the plot was hatched in October last year. That is when James Carville and others discovered the low favorability rating enjoyed by Limbaugh, and they decided to demonize him.

I remember Carville said that Limbaugh was the effective leader of the Republican Party maybe two months ago. Surprisingly, the Republican commentator at that time agreed with Carville, he had no idea what Carville was driving at. At that time I couldn’t figure out what he was getting at either. But slowly the Democratic strategy became clear.

I think so far they have been pretty successful, and Republicans have a sticky problem on their hands. They dare not criticize Limbaugh, they will offend the base. However, if Limbaugh does become their titular leader, Republicans are sunk (unless the economy is really in the tank come next election).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
And then people may just vote for change....giving us President Limbaugh.

My stomach felt queasy just typing that.

I don’t see Americans electing President Limbaugh even if the economy is in the tank in 2012. However, if the economy is in as bad a shape in November 2010 as it is today, Republicans will probably take control of both the House and the senate.

But anything short of a total economic meltdown, Republican take a bath with Limbaugh as their leader (or as their perceived leader).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
People said the same things about Dubya

You forget one thing, Cannuck, Dubya ran as a uniter (when he was elected, he divided the country viciously right down the middle, 50:50, but that is a different story). Limbaugh does not make any pretense to be a uniter, he is right, anybody who disagrees with him is a Communist, a Fascist and that is that.

Also, he has plenty of personal baggage, with his conviction for drug smuggling and his three marriages. I don’t see him getting the Republican nomination, let alone win the general election. I wish Republicans would nominate Limbaugh (he would bomb worse than Joan of Arc), but even the Republicans aren’t’ that stupid.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Carville vs Limbaugh 2012 Presidential debate.

Can you imagine?

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Rush Limbaugh is a loud mouth drug addict who is being used like a fool by the democrats ....I believe this is one of the signs of the end of the world:evil2:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Rush Limbaugh is a loud mouth drug addict who is being used like a fool by the democrats ....I believe this is one of the signs of the end of the world:evil2:

They way he touches his nose during his televised piece, he looked like he was on cok
A person on cok has a resemblance to his touching his nose so many times in the frame of a minute.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
...and you forget one thing as well. Four years is an eternity in politics. What hope did Obama have four years ago?

Exactly, Cannuck, Obama was an unknown quantity, so he could define himself in any way he wanted. Rush is not an unknown quantity, he is quite well known all over the country, there is no way he can redefine it.

He is known as a bomb thrower, a highly partisan hack politician, who has a drug conviction and has been married three times. There is no way he can redefine himself.

But we can hope. Let us hope Republican nominate him for 2012.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Sure Rush is being used, but one really has to wonder about the political acumen of Michael Steele, the leader of GOP.

He called, Limbaugh an entertainer, he called him incendiary etc., and he was quite justified in doing so. However, he should have thought before he spoke. He must have known that Limbaugh is extremely popular with the far right base. Steele should have considered how the statement would play with the far right base and should have kept his mouth shut.

However, once he spoke, it was outright stupid to apologize. Once he apologized, that really established Rush as the de facto head of GOP, which is exactly what the Democrats want. Steel has not at all acquitted himself well in this matter.

As for Rush, he has opinions, he has a platform to express his opinions, and he doesn’t care what that does to the Republican Party. This fight may turn out to be very well for Limbaugh but may weaken the Republican Party considerably.

This was Steele's first test as the GOP leader, and he failed miserably.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
No, you can hope. You are an ideologue. I want the best person regardless of party.

OK, so we are both agreed, let us hope that Limbaugh is the Republican nominee in 2012. Where we differ is that you think he has a very good chance of being elected in 2012, while I think he doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in Hell in 201, no matter how bad the economy is.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
OK, so we are both agreed, let us hope that Limbaugh is the Republican nominee in 2012. Where we differ is that you think he has a very good chance of being elected in 2012, while I think he doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in Hell in 201, no matter how bad the economy is.

I don't hope Rush is the Republican nominee. He is an idiot. I don't think his chances are good but I said things can change. Your opinion on the matter is more than just a little suspect.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Don't be overly surprised to see a Gingrich-Palin ticket in 2012.

NOW THAT would be comical....:lol::lol::lol:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Don't be overly surprised to see a Gingrich-Palin ticket in 2012.

NOW THAT would be comical....:lol::lol::lol:

Tyr, that is possible, I suppose (if Republicans can go gaga over Joan of Arc, they will nominate anybody). However, Gingrich has some serious baggage associated with him.

The biggest one of course, is hypocrisy. While he was racking Clinton over the coals for having an affair with his intern, Gingrich was doing exactly the same thing, having an affair with his intern.

Then there are his three marriages (and divorces, I assume). It turns out he was having an affair with another woman when his wife was in the hospital (for delivery or illness, I don’t recall).

All his dirty laundry will be out in the open if he is the nominee. Now, while the far right Republican base won’t have any problem with Gingrich, they will support him enthusiastically (the attitude of the far right base has always been do as I say, not as I do), I don’t think he would go down well with the population at large.

Democrats were hugely successful in demonizing Gingrich, and they will do it again if he is the nominee. No, with Gingrich a candidate, I think we may be looking at republican rout in 2012, even if the economy is in the tank.