Counterfeit Canadian money

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
When I was a kid (before dirt), some of the big boys used to coat pennies with mercury and pass them off as dimes. They are probably all in Parliament by now! Crime does not pay.
PS
Is there anyone besides me who thinks that stores which do not accept 50s are a pain in the butt?

Last edited:

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
When I was a kid (before dirt), some of the big boys used to coat pennies with mercury and pass them off as dimes. They are probably all in Parliament by now! Crime does not pay.
PS
Is there anyone besides me who thinks that stores which do not accept 50s are a pain in the butt?

This guys have problems making change... so a fifty is out of the question

ps. Is it YOUR fifty 8O

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It is damned near impossible to counterfeit Canadian bills effectively.......except that nobody really looks.

take out a bill.

Down the right side is a reflective strip that shows maple leafs wheb turned in the light.

On the left side, beside the large denomination numbers, there is a small set of numbers (the denomination) you can only completely see when the bill is held up against a light.

Also, just to the left of centre of the bill, the face of the person appearing on the bill also appears in miniature when the bill is held up against a light.

The stores would not have a problem with counterfeits if they gave their clerks a 10 minute instruction on detecting them......and hired enough so they have time to actually LOOK at the money.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
It is damned near impossible to counterfeit Canadian bills effectively.......except that nobody really looks.

take out a bill.

Down the right side is a reflective strip that shows maple leafs wheb turned in the light.

On the left side, beside the large denomination numbers, there is a small set of numbers (the denomination) you can only completely see when the bill is held up against a light.

Also, just to the left of centre of the bill, the face of the person appearing on the bill also appears in miniature when the bill is held up against a light.

The stores would not have a problem with counterfeits if they gave their clerks a 10 minute instruction on detecting them......and hired enough so they have time to actually LOOK at the money.

there are machines that are virtually fool proof but people (for some reason) don't use them much. Go figure

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

take out a bill.

Geezus, all my bills have reflective strips on the left side! One of us is pooched!
Cousin Spade

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
PS

What kills me even more is a gas station that refuses $50.00 when you fill up and it cost you near $100.00. Calling me a thief from a pro is quite comical..

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hey, this gives me an idea. Considering that counterfeiting currency actually stimulates the economy, I'm thinking of writing to the bank of Canada and ask for permission to counterfeit as much money as I want for the duration of the recession. I can guarantee that my increased consumption will create plenty of jobs... especially in the food services industry.;)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Actually, if I print off enough, I could help stimulate the home construction industry too. And I wouldn't mind going back to school either. So a few more jobs there. Really, giving me carte blanche to counterfeit money would be the wisest thing the Bank of Canada could do at this moment. I can't speak for the inflation that would ensue, but at least it would get us out of recession.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Now that I think about it, I think a few nice suits could be in the works. Yeah, clothing industry too.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Isn't it just the older 50's and 100's that aren't taken, the newer ones are scanned before being accepted. If you have troubles using the 50's why accept them in the 1st place?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Isn't it just the older 50's and 100's that aren't taken, the newer ones are scanned before being accepted. If you have troubles using the 50's why accept them in the 1st place?

I quoted the wrong poster! Money rattles me!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What kills me even more is a gas station that refuses $50.00 when you fill up and it cost you near $100.00. Calling me a thief from a pro is quite comical..
What if that's is your only money? If they won't accept a 50 (and no sign on the pump)the gas should be free, even the cops would be on your side. You offerred to pay but the clerk refused your "legal' money.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What if that's is your only money? If they won't accept a 50 (and no sign on the pump)the gas should be free, even the cops would be on your side. You offerred to pay but the clerk refused your "legal' money.

Exactly, if it's counterfeited well, it's legal.