Iran: the enemy that almost isn't

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
What if Iran wasn't the "bogeyman" What then? Find a new enemy? The list is getting shorter

DOUG SAUNDERS
Globe and Mail

February 21, 2009 at 12:05 AM EST

LONDON — What if the world's biggest threat, instead of growing in size and menace, simply vanished?

Imagine if Iran, after years of extremism, found itself led by a president who had been elected on a platform of women's rights, a free press, foreign investment and closer relations with the United States and other Western countries.

Imagine if, in response, the U.S. government made a public, formal apology for the 1953 Central Intelligence Agency overthrow of Iran's elected government, the act that had sent the country on the path to extremism in the first place.
Imagine if the Iranian people then began holding pro-U.S. demonstrations.

And imagine if that moderate Iranian leader offered to accept peace with Israel, to permanently halt funding of Palestinian militant groups such as Hamas and to submit fully to inspections as it abandons any nuclear-weapons programs in exchange for better relations with America.

Ah, imagine. It could never be so easy. But wait. Don't I recall something from my pile of newspaper clippings? Ah yes, here it is, and not even yellowed. Amazing how fast we forget things.

Mohammad Khatami, the pro-Western reformist, was elected in 1997.

Madeleine Albright, the U.S. secretary of state, issued the big apology to Iran in March of 2000. “Certainly, in our view, there are no obstacles that wise and competent leadership cannot remove,” she said. “As some Iranians have pointed out, the United States has cordial relations with a number of countries that are less democratic than Iran.”

The pro-American demonstrations, by all reports genuine (and unpunished), took place over several days in 2003. In that spring, Mr. Khatami sent a Swiss official to Washington to make the peace offer. In exchange for recognizing Israel, cutting off Hamas and proving it had abolished any nuclear-weapons plans, Iran wanted an end to sanctions, normal diplomatic relations with the U.S. and recognition of its role in the region.

So what happened? Well, nothing. George W. Bush was president, the Iraq war was just approaching the “mission accomplished” phase, and nobody in the White House thought it would look good to make peace with Iran, a country that only the year before had been made a rhetorical component in Mr. Bush's “axis of evil.”
As one State Department official directly involved with the Iranian offer told me, “It was like we missed the biggest Middle East peace opportunity of the decade, just so we could keep saying ‘axis of evil.'”

So the offer was stuck in a drawer. That diplomatic snub was one of several humiliations, diplomatic and economic, that led to the defeat of Mr. Khatami's reformists in subsequent elections and the victory of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's neo-conservative zealots. Mission accomplished, indeed.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
So Iran is set to elect a moderate. Kim is nearly dead. Iraq has apuppet gov't as does Afghanistan

Who's left to invade?

Syria
Venezuala
Mexico
Pakistan

I'll go with Mexico being on the hit list next. The pretext being civil insurrection

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Syria....

When the USA was going into Baghdad after zapping the Iraqi Army, my wife acused me of being nuts, for yelling at the TV "Turn LEFT! Turn left!, Damascus......750 klicks"

But they didn't listen.

Sigh

:cool:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I hate to break it to you fellas... but Barrack Obama isn't invading ANYONE. Now if McCain got elected you probably would be able to have all kinds of fun imagining the next country on the list for invasion.

But Obama? Puh-leeze

We'll be out of Iraq before he's done.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Syria....

When the USA was going into Baghdad after zapping the Iraqi Army, my wife acused me of being nuts, for yelling at the TV "Turn LEFT! Turn left!, Damascus......750 klicks"

But they didn't listen.

Sigh

:cool:

To bad, turning left would have solved a multitude of problems.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I hate to break it to you fellas... but Barrack Obama isn't invading ANYONE. Now if McCain got elected you probably would be able to have all kinds of fun imagining the next country on the list for invasion.

But Obama? Puh-leeze

But Obama? Puh-leeze

Doesn't your constitution have presidential limits of 8 yrs? You might just squeak out of Iraq before that

Obama could possibly be pushed into an illegal invasion of Mexico. It depends how much hysteria is generated by the industrial-military complex

As with anytime in history, wars tend to have a positive effect on an economy (Iraq/Afghanistan are the exceptions), so it could be a quick fix for an economy that will sink further over the next 3 yrs

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
But Obama? Puh-leeze

Doesn't your constitution have presidential limits of 8 yrs? You might just squeak out of Iraq before that

Yes we do... but who says he'll be around for a second term. He's already talking 2011 for a pull out.

Obama could possibly be pushed into an illegal invasion of Mexico. It depends how much hysteria is generated by the industrial-military complex

Forced to invade Mexico! COme on Tyr... we may disagree on everything but don't tell me you are one of THEM.

Who is this "Industrial-Military Complex"?

Why on earth would we invade Mexico? Geez!

Make me feel better... tell me you are kidding.

As with anytime in history, wars tend to have a positive effect on an economy (Iraq/Afghanistan are the exceptions), so it could be a quick fix for an economy that will sink further over the next 3 yrs

Oh really...

So what makes the Iraq War and it's drain on the economy different? So if we invade Mexico our economy will BOOM once again. What is there not enough killing or bombing going on over in the Middle East? Not enough rounds going down range...gas burned...bandages used...MRE's (blah!) being given out...cammies ripped.

Sorry to dissapoint...but Obama isn't going to invade anyone.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Tyr just might not be that far off about Mexico. Their drug wars, killings and kidnappings have spilled over into the U.S. Remember what happened around 1916 when Pancho Villa raided across the border into New Mexico. Off we went into Mexico to try and capture him. The Mexican goverment today is losing to the drug cartels who knows what we may do.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Yes we do... but who says he'll be around for a second term. He's already talking 2011 for a pull out.
Here is the rebuttal.
"
Just one day after reports came out regarding the Obama Administration’s 19 month withdrawal plan from Iraq, the Pentagon was detailing the enormous number of troops that would remain on the ground after Obama ostensibly fulfills his promise to remove all combat troops, and all the combat they’ll be engaging in.
After the “pullout,” as many as 50,000 troops will remain on the ground, and despite being touted as a withdrawal of combat troops, Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell conceded that some would continue to “conduct combat operations,” and Iraq would still be considered a war zone. The rest would be what he described as “enablers.”
President Obama promised a 16-month pullout from Iraq during the campaign, but backed off the promise under pressure from the military. Since then he has spoken of a “responsible military drawdown,” but even as he is set to officially unveil this new plan the question of when the troops will actually be out of Iraq entirely seems like it will remain unanswered."

US Combat Missions in Iraq Will Continue After ‘Pullout’ | News From Antiwar.com

The closing of gitmo seems to have hit some snags also, oh well maybe the next Prez in 2016 can make the same empty promises.