Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
China 'shocked' by ship sinking incident
By Wang Qian (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-02-21 08:01
Comments(28)
Print
Mail
China "is shocked" by the sinking of a Chinese cargo ship by the Russian navy off the Vladivostok port and has urged Russia to give a responsible explanation as soon as possible, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has said.
Deputy Foreign Minister Li Hui on Thursday summoned the Russian ambassador in Beijing and urged Russian authorities to complete their investigation into the incident and try their best to search for the seven Chinese crew members still missing.

Related readings:
Russia's attitude on ship incident 'unacceptable'
Russian fired on and sank chinese ship!
China lodges representation to Russia on ship sinking
China calls on Russia to investigate ship incident
Ship sinks in Russia, 7 missing

"The Chinese side cannot accept and expresses its strong dissatisfaction to the Russian side over its bombardment of the cargo ship, the lack of a prompt rescue of the downed sailors and the fact that a long time has passed with no results from the investigation," Li said, according to the statement posted on the ministry's website on Friday. "China was shocked by the incident," he said.
Russia stopped its search-and-rescue operations at about 7:30 pm on Thursday, with nothing found, Global Times quoted Russia News as saying on Friday.
The Sierra Leone-flagged vessel, named "New Star", sank off the waters near Russia's far-eastern port of Vladivostok on Sunday after it was fired on by the Russian military.
Three Chinese sailors were rescued. An official with the Chinese consulate in Khabarovsk told China Daily the survivors are in good condition and have contacted their families.
The cargo ship was held at the Russian port of Nakhodka earlier this month because of suspected smuggling. But it left without permission on Feb 12 to avoid punishment from importing "poor-quality" rice, Russian media quoted local prosecutors as saying.
Russian officials said border guards had to open fire on the Chinese ship because it refused all efforts the Russian side tried to get it to stop.
Russia asked the Hong Kong-based shipping company for $330,000 as compensation for the import, the ship's operator said on Thursday.
The ship's owner, a Zhejiang province-based shipping company, confirmed on Thursday that the missing Chinese sailors come from Shandong and Heilongjiang provinces.
Nanfang Daily quoted Xu Guangyu, secretary of China Arms Control and Disarmament Association, as saying on Friday that he believes the accident will not affect relations between the two countries in the long term.

Comments(28)
Print
Mail

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
China 'shocked' by ship sinking incident
Comments on this article For more discussions,please go to the forum Total 28 [ 1 2 3 ]
Ny 2009-02-23 12:11 The top Russian leadership, especially President Medvedev and prime minister Putin are in many ways China's friends' It is the lower ranking Russian officials who are less friendly towards China and its people.

This shipping incident is very unfortunate and could have been averted by the Russian side.
DoNotUnderstand 2009-02-23 11:56 leaving without permission, euh? It sounds similar as Somali pirates do. Russia and Russian people have no credit at all. They keep changing their words back and forth. They have never been a friend of China.
1.They support Mogolos got away from China.
2.They intrude and occupy the port they shot our sailors.
3.They rape Eastern-North women during they "supported" us to fight with Janpanese.
4.They promised to supply our oil for more than 10 years.
5.When their country almost goes bankrupcy, they agreed to sign a contract with China. But the oil price is set by what they want.They probably to rob our money with Putin's permission.
6.We helped them to get rich by board-trading activities. After they got rich, they rob all the asset from those business men.
7. They shot down South Korea Boeing 747 without any reason.
8. Russian people have no credit at all, corrupted gouvernment can help them to make all kind of certification.
9. Recently, Russian rob Indian by weapon trade.

Please cancel the contract with Russia. Russian is worthy to be disappeared from the earth.
Peteryang 2009-02-23 11:40 As to the post by "haha", the US has never been good to the Chinese, not inside China, not outside China. It engages in hostilities against China every chance it gets, creates all sorts of propaganda against China and is always on the lookout to incite revolt and dissatisfaction within its populace. It's purpose is to maintain its economic lead and keep China's 1.3 billion population in sweatshops to produce cheap products that it can resell for enormous profits. The problems inflicted to China by the US are far more than those caused by neighbouring Russia even though the US is half a world away.

Historically, the US has exploited, tortured and used its Chinese immigrants like slaves. Even today it treats its Chinese citizens like outsiders, overlooking violence against them and waving off abuses to their rights. It keeps criticising China for its censorship when it is the main reason that China needs censorship to protect its citizens. Opening up China to US media would bring in a barrage of propaganda that would confuse and disillusion its population to the point where the government would not be able to lead its people to progress. From there you just have to read what it does to every third world country it gets its hands on and China would go right back to the Boxer Rebellion days.
--------------------

wow, you been in a cave or what?? I thought people quit rhetoricing like this after cold-war.

see, I been to US and Russia few times on work trip, my feeling is that american society is a lot more accommodating to Chinese than Russian counterpart, I got nice receptions here and there in the US, but in Russia everybody threw me a stench face.

and the **** you said about american medias is funny, because I been reading their news daily, cbs/npr/cnn you name it, and I've never become an anti-government zealot like all the liberal nutcase here, so they must have failed miserably on inciting discontents.

so spread your conspiracies all you like, it can only fool some ignorant noobs.
peteryang 2009-02-23 11:28 Modern Russia has overwhelming nationalism sentiment that their neo-nazis run amok on streets attacking or even killing non-russians, including Chinese student or immigrants.

And the Putin Administration is too busy confronting the west and at the same time exploiting domestic xenophobia. My co-worker was studying in Russia, he always gossips how they were extremely afraid to even go out, and one of his uni mates were stabbed on the street some years ago.

What's really ironic is some Chinese still think Putin is Yelston and Russia is Soviet.
Reader 2009-02-23 01:35 As to the post by "haha", the US has never been good to the Chinese, not inside China, not outside China. It engages in hostilities against China every chance it gets, creates all sorts of propaganda against China and is always on the lookout to incite revolt and dissatisfaction within its populace. It's purpose is to maintain its economic lead and keep China's 1.3 billion population in sweatshops to produce cheap products that it can resell for enormous profits. The problems inflicted to China by the US are far more than those caused by neighbouring Russia even though the US is half a world away.

Historically, the US has exploited, tortured and used its Chinese immigrants like slaves. Even today it treats its Chinese citizens like outsiders, overlooking violence against them and waving off abuses to their rights. It keeps criticising China for its censorship when it is the main reason that China needs censorship to protect its citizens. Opening up China to US media would bring in a barrage of propaganda that would confuse and disillusion its population to the point where the government would not be able to lead its people to progress. From there you just have to read what it does to every third world country it gets its hands on and China would go right back to the Boxer Rebellion days.
on guo guo 2009-02-23 01:12 Dispute and then a sinking, it's the way business is done for thugs, fill the world we love use a condom.
zzZZzz 2009-02-22 21:36 "haha"

But Russia doesn't sell weapons to Taiwan, it sells weapons to China and doesn't block others from doing so. And Russia has always been very supportive of China's positions on Tibet and Taiwan.

"Me"

You're talking like you know everything. So you have already conducted an independent investigation into the incident?
may be 2009-02-22 17:44 WenzhouMafias 2009-02-22 09:57 may be correct.

Or it could be a shady business deal that turned sour for the Russians.

Lets wait and see.
bang 2009-02-22 15:31 The ship's captain was Indonesian. He's responsible for sailing away without permission.
ask 2009-02-22 14:13 If you want to know who the Russians are, ask those chinese businessmen and women who were asked to leave Russia just a few years ago by the Russian goverment. They had no option but to auction their business and head home.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
If the Russian side of the story is true, then they have the right to sink this ship. But I'm surprised they weren't able to rescue more of the crew. Somethings smells fishy...

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

If the Russian side of the story is true, then they have the right to sink this ship. But I'm surprised they weren't able to rescue more of the crew. Somethings smells fishy..

If it happened in Canadian waters , would a Canadian navy vessel shoot at and destroy an American cargo ship? .......just asking .

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Yes Canada would be completely justified in sinking any ship in Canadian waters which failed to yield to our authority. That's a question of soveriegnty. But we'd still have an obligation to rescue the people on board.

Its no different than a Canadian police officer has the same right to use lethal force in specific circumstances against an American as a anyone else.

Now if an American carrier group was nearby, we'd probably have to clear it with them. Discretion is the better part of valour. Personally, I'd ask for their assistance to help us seize the vessel just to make sure they were onside.

Alleged conversation between a US Navy vessel and the Canadian Coast Guard

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to
avoid collision.

Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the
North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15
degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again,
divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND
LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE
ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH--I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH--OR
COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.