Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Auschwitz plans put on display in Berlin
(Agencies)
Updated: 2009-02-16 21:04
Comments(0)
Print
Mail
BERLIN -- Architectural plans for the Nazi death camp Auschwitz that were discovered in Berlin last year go on public display in the German capital on Tuesday.

In this Nov. 9, 2008 file picture, allegedly original construction plans of the Auschwitz concentration camp are seen in Berlin. Architectural plans for the Nazi death camp Auschwitz that were discovered in Berlin last year go on public display in the German capital on Tuesday Feb. 17, 2009. [Agencies]
The Axel Springer Verlag publishing company said Monday that it felt that it was its "duty" to put on display some of the 28 sketches that turned up in an apartment in November and ended up in its possession.
The documents, drawn on a scale of 1:100, show details for expanding the camp in Poland that include a crematorium and a gas chamber. They are dated between 1941 and 1943, and have been authenticated by Germany's federal archive, Axel Springer's Bild newspaper reported.
Other original plans for Auschwitz exist, but these are the first that are in Germany's possession, Bild reported.
"For the professional historian these documents bring an addition or two to their research; for the layman, they show how systematically the Nazi criminals went about murdering the European Jews," said Kai Diekmann, editor-in-chief of Bild.
The plans will be on display starting Tuesday at the publishing company's office in Berlin's Kreuzberg district through Feb. 27.
Following the exhibit, the company plans to pass the documents on for permanent display to a museum or an archive, but has not yet decided where

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
Who's goning to build the first model???

Sorry to flip the coin China.

"A leading expert on Auschwitz on Sunday denigrated the importance of the finding of plans for the construction of the extermination camp, which was reported this weekend in the German tabloid Bild. He said the documents have been known to scholars for many years and that they were not plans to build the extermination camp of Auschwitz-Birkenau, but rather earlier plans for the building of a forced labor camp."

Auschwitz expert: Blueprints found in Berlin not of death camp - Haaretz - Israel News

Last edited:
Reactions: einmensch

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Good. This should settle the whole were there really gas chambers debate. I personally find the whole issue pretty distasteful. While I am suspicious that the number of deaths is a wild over estimation I do not for one moment think that lessens the crime. The entire war was a human tragedy and mankind its greatest victim.

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
How does this settle the gas chamber debate? All agree that there were gas chambers. These Gas Chambers were used for disinfection by killing lice and germs.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Chambers used for disinfection will be designed differently than those designed to murder people. The intent should be obvious from the plans.

It seems really silly to me that Hitler would gas people when other options, like drowning them, would be less expensive and easier. Makeshift gas chambers as an after thought make more sense. Say it was decided later that gas should be used. That would explain the presence of camp hospitals and theatres too for example.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
How does this settle the gas chamber debate? All agree that there were gas chambers. These Gas Chambers were used for disinfection by killing lice and germs.

The gas chambers in the plans are said to be too small for mass killings. It being plans for a work camp rather than Auschwitz would explain why people feel the mass have been done with the gas chambers. IMO The plans for Auschwitz should show larger, and likely many more of these chambers, with ventilation systems that would clear the gas quickly after each group, so the Germans could start the next group.

Therefore:
Those that believe these are the plans for Auschwitz do not believe the killings took place and those who believe these plans are for another camp still believe the killings took place. We just have to verify that the plans are indeed the plans for Auschwitz.

Last edited:

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
It seems really silly to me that Hitler would gas people when other options, like drowning them, would be less expensive and easier. Makeshift gas chambers as an after thought make more sense. Say it was decided later that gas should be used. That would explain the presence of camp hospitals and theatres too for example.

I think it was an issue of manpower from the German side. Near the end it was said that they shifted to high gear and there were minimal Germans to tend the camps. Kill the most at once and get the living to clean the bodies out and herd the next group in.

Still there is an issue of the ashes from the ovens. I know that potash lye can be made from ashes. What other things could they have done with these to dispose of them. - Spread by railcar, shipped to the ocean, can they or a by-produce be used for making ammo for the war machine.