164 foot tall white horse to tower over the Thames Estuary

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A 164 foot tall white horse - about the same height as Nelson's Column - will tower over the English countryside in Kent, the "Garden of England."

It will be Southern England's equivalent of Northern England's "Angel of the North" statue but twice as tall (though I think the Angel of the North is better).

It will measure 411 hands from hoof to shoulder and be 33 times the size of a real horse.

The white horse is the symbol of Kent and appears on Kent's flag.

Horsa was a famous Anglo-Saxon who was the brother of Hengest, the ruler of Kent (then a country in its own right) 1500 years ago. Both Hengest and Horsa fought King Vortigern, a Celtic warlord, and Horsa was killed during the battle.

Hengest was captured in another battle by Eldol, Duke of Gloucester and subsequently beheaded by Eldol's brother, Eldadus, the Bishop of Gloucester.

Both Hengest and Horsa are buried in Kent, and the English word "horse" takes its name from Horsa - hence the white horse being the symbol of Kent.

Giant white horse will tower 164ft over the Thames Estuary after winning the race to become 'Angel of the South'

By Paul Harris
11th February 2009
Daily Mail

Don't make the mistake of calling Ebbsfleet a one-horse town.

Not when the horse in question will stand nearly as tall as Nelson's Column and be visible from space.

This is the £2million statue that will loom proudly over a great swathe of countryside in the Garden of England - so big it needs planning permission before it can be put out to graze.

On the hoof: When built, Mr Allinger's design will result in a horse standing on all four hooves at 33 times life-size

Artist Mark Wallinger with his winning design of the Ebbsfleet Landmark Project, which has been dubbed The Angel of the South

It will be the country's largest public art installation when it takes up position in the Ebbsfleet Valley - a horse for a kingdom that has yet to be built.

The valley is an ambitious redevelopment zone in the Thames Gateway area of Kent, and the horse has been commissioned to put Ebbsfleet firmly on the map.

The white horse, which is the Kent county symbol, will tower 164ft from the underside of its horseshoe to the top of its ear.

Neigh bother: The artist with a scale model of the sculpture

Mr Wallinger's sculpture will be twice the size of Antony Gormley's Angel of the North in Gateshead

It is the work of artist Mark Wallinger, who won the Turner Prize two years ago by filming himself dressed as a bear.

The flag of Kent

Britain has dozens of white horses on its hills, the oldest of which dates from around 1,000BC. This one, however, will be the first to stand proud of the landscape.

Already dubbed the Angel of the South, it was picked over designs including a giant wing, 26 interconnecting steel polyhedrons, a tower of cubes projecting a laser beam into space, and a cast of a house interior atop a pile of rubble.

Assuming Gravesham Borough Council does grant planning permission, work on the horse will start in the next 12 months and could be finished by 2012.

The designs the horse beat: Above Daniel Buren's cubes pierced by laser beam

Rachel Whiteread's house on a 'recycled mountain'

Richard Deacon's 'nest' of polyhedrons

dailymail.co.uk

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Seems like a good idea. I worry, though, that graffiti artists will spray portraits of Tony Blair on the horse's arse. Or Brown, or members of the Royal Family, or...

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
When reading this thread, perhaps one is tempted to shout "So what!" But, on more tempered reflection, I realize that this subject could be used to educated the youth of this sorry planet. And thus, it's like a physical poem - a modern "White Man's Burden." May I conjecture?

First an historical journey into quaint Imperial measures. In metres, 164 feet is 50. Coincidently, anyone under the age of 50 may know that a man has two, and a dog four, but may not know in modern merry old England, and in ancient Canada, the foot was a unit of linear measure, based on a kingly member.

Another mathematical journey might be the distance from which this horse may be seen. A quick scribbling of trigonometry reveals

where h is the height of the horse and rp is the radius of an arbitrary spherical planet, say Earth. (The proof is left to the gentle reader.)
So, this horse could be seen from 25.25 km distant. Wow!

And, finally, a little ancient history. Assuming 2.5 Greeks could fit into a hollow life-sized horse. That`s Greek, Greek, Gre
But this horse is 33 times as large (linear measure). A change in the linear scale by a factor f results in a volume change by a factor of fxfxf. Another quick calculation reveals 89 842 Greeks, more than enough to conquer (Hamas) Troy.

So thank you Blackleaf!

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Yes, that's what England needs, a giant white horse of coarse.

Why didn't anyone think of this before?

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Original thread or response?

Original post. I'd have thought they'd have opted for something more artistic rather then something that looks like an oversized little girls toy. oh well.

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Original post. I'd have thought they'd have opted for something more artistic rather then something an oversized little girls toy. oh well.

My question is "Is it a male or female horse?" The mind boggles in either case. My girls' "My Little Ponies" were androgynous.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Original post. I'd have thought they'd have opted for something more artistic rather then something that looks like an oversized little girls toy. oh well.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was my daughter has one of those for her Barbie! She does have one that looks almost identical :lol:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
My daughter will be very impressed if England decides to build a giant Barbie with the horse.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
This is one in Sault Ste. Marie. It used to be just the two on top of eachother. It had a big red pecker on it and I heard they made them paint over it in white. I see in this photo the grow a bush to cover it and added another cow laying in front.

I think the guy that owns the place is a selfmade man, so to speak, so he tries hard to do as he likes.