Montreal has ‘nothing’ for family of woman killed by plow

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Montreal has ‘nothing’ for family of woman killed by plow

By Catherine Solyom, Canwest News ServiceFebruary 7, 2009 6:01 PM
Source: Montreal has ‘nothing’ for family of woman killed by plow

MONTREAL — No visit, no condolence card, not even a phone call.

Almost two months after Rajaa Benkiran was plowed over by a snow removal truck — the first of four similar deaths this winter that has forced the coroner to convene a public inquest — the 49-year-old’s family has received nothing from the City of Montreal except a bill for $13, for a copy of the police report.

The driver was allegedly talking on a walkie-talkie at the time Benkiran was crossing a street near the Universite de Montreal, around 8 p.m. on Dec. 15, said her son Reda Alami Marrouni.

“It’s as if people are ants that you crush without even knowing it,” said Reda, 20, the eldest of two sons.

When the incident appeared in a short news brief two weeks before Christmas, a police spokesperson was quoted as saying: “It was a simple accident. She probably thought she could make it in time.”

Now that three other people have been killed by snow removal trucks — all three on Feb. 3, at two different intersections — Benkiran’s death appears less of an anomaly.

The city said they were taking all safety measures necessary,” said Benkiran’s husband, Abdeslam Alami Marrouni, who brought his family to Canada from Morocco in 2007. “Now we see the results: three dead in one day. This is like a country at war — a war of traffic.”

The Moroccan consulate in Montreal stepped in to help pay the costs of sending Benkiran’s remains to Morocco for burial.

But the city has offered nothing. Social services has given a loan to the family — which lost its main breadwinner when Benkiran was killed because her husband has only been able to get low-paying jobs in Canada — that they must repay once they receive an insurance settlement from the Societe de l’assurance automobile du Quebec.

“We’ve got nothing from the government or the city, not even a sympathy note. It’s as if we are ghosts here. Miserable people hit by a snowblower. . . . We’re just immigrants,” said Abdeslam.

Reda says when his mother was struck and killed, on a street where students come and go all day long, he was studying for math exams at Universite de Montreal. His father was away in Morocco so between exams he made funeral arrangements, talked to police and looked after his 13-year-old brother, Mohammed.

Reda says he still has not received a copy of the police report, but an investigator told him four days after the incident that the driver was using a walkie-talkie and wasn’t paying attention.

“I didn’t even have time to cry for my mother,” he said Saturday. “And my brother is still really upset and has nightmares all the time.”

The family has hired a lawyer and will be seeking compensation, however, Reda said — lots of it.

“If you ask for just a little money, it won’t hurt them enough. The only way they will feel it and do something about the problem is if you make them pay a lot. I want the city to hurt as much as we are hurting.”

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Unfortunately, the city has probably been told by their lawyers not to offer anything. That would "appear" like they were accepting guilt.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''No visit, no condolence card, not even a phone call.''

From all appearances, it seems Canada is becoming more and more like the USA every day.

:shock:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
''No visit, no condolence card, not even a phone call.''

From all appearances, it seems Canada is becoming more and more like the USA every day.

:shock:
I think not.

Any communication in an apologetic nature, could be seen as an admission of culpability.

Besides that, the tone of the article and the time of day and location, I bet someone was "J" walking.

Having grown up in Quebec when winters were winters, the snowblowers were as loud as jet engines. If you can't hear that coming, then get a hearing aid. Plows are similarly loud and I have yet to follow a plow or blower, that didn't do well under the posted limit.

I smell a moron here. Darwin theory is applied.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Totally agree with you on those points, I've met up with a few during my walks and know enough to get out of the way ,and quickly,too.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think not.

Any communication in an apologetic nature, could be seen as an admission of culpability.

Besides that, the tone of the article and the time of day and location, I bet someone was "J" walking.

Having grown up in Quebec when winters were winters, the snowblowers were as loud as jet engines. If you can't hear that coming, then get a hearing aid. Plows are similarly loud and I have yet to follow a plow or blower, that didn't do well under the posted limit.

I smell a moron here. Darwin theory is applied.

Deaf? MP3 Player? weird...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Deaf? MP3 Player? weird...
So the city should pay cuz some meathead is sporting an MP3 player?

Peoples safety is not the total responsibility of the state. People have to begin to accept that they have a serious portion of responsibility too.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
These people are from Morocco. Only here a year. Could it have anything to do with there is no snow in Morocco? Coming from there to here is like moving to the moon. The fastest thing they may have ever had to dodge was a camel for all we know. Not many people in this world were as privileged as we are to have so much danger in our lives.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
These people are from Morocco. Only here a year. Could it have anything to do with there is no snow in Morocco? Coming from there to here is like moving to the moon. The fastest thing they may have ever had to dodge was a camel for all we know. Not many people in this world were as privileged as we are to have so much danger in our lives.
So we should create a Ministry of babysitting immigrants.

They could be assigned a new comer and hold their hands for 5 years while they grow accustomed to keeping their eyes and ears open.

I love the Nannystate. Lets make more Ministries!!!:lol:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Jaywalking or not, care and control of your vehicle.

If some moron wanders out into traffic in this country, as a driver you are expected to have care and control of your vehicle and avoid them.

I wasn't there, it may have been impossible to avoid them..but the guy was busy yakking on a walkie talkie. If Im yabbering on a cellphone while driving and hits someone who steps into traffic (jaywalking) Im going to prison. If I do it while on a work errand (and not a "frolic of my own") then my boss may be liable.

Thats not "Special treatment" thats the law as its been applied to civilians, why isn't it being applied to governments?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Jaywalking or not, care and control of your vehicle.

If some moron wanders out into traffic in this country, as a driver you are expected to have care and control of your vehicle and avoid them.

I wasn't there, it may have been impossible to avoid them..but the guy was busy yakking on a walkie talkie. If Im yabbering on a cellphone while driving and hits someone who steps into traffic (jaywalking) Im going to prison. If I do it while on a work errand (and not a "frolic of my own") then my boss may be liable.

Thats not "Special treatment" thats the law as its been applied to civilians, why isn't it being applied to governments?
Because that's not the law.

When you're involved in an automobile accident causing death, there is an investigation. If it is determined that you were operating your vehicle carelessly or dangerously, then you charged.

If the operator was on a cell or radio at the time of the accident, it would be determined if it played a roll in the accident. It obviously did not. That says to me that the person stepped out in traffic, leaving no room nor method of avoidance for the operator.

You can only stop and or maneuver a snowplow/blower so well. No authoritative body in the world can expect an operator to perform miracles.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Qubec bans the use of Cellphones when driving. Thats automatically dangerous driving there if the laws are similar to most cellphone laws. Perhaps radios are somehow exhempt in law if not spirit.

Also, if there was no method of stopping, how fast was the plow going? Why did three people die that same day the same way?

Personal responsibility works both ways.

The guy was yapping on the radio while driving and ran over a person.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So the city should pay cuz some meathead is sporting an MP3 player?

Peoples safety is not the total responsibility of the state. People have to begin to accept that they have a serious portion of responsibility too.

Someone listening to their MP3 player is not different then someone listening to their car stereo.... both have to open their damn eyes.

But in the same breath, if someone is in the crosswalk, they have the right of way.... and when someone is in their truck, plow or car, and they not only have their music playing, but also talking on their radio or cell phone, and then hit someone in the middle of a crosswalk..... the person with the MP3 player is at fault?

Give me a break.

Here:

Woman dead after being struck by dump truck
November 17, 2008 01:33
Metro - Woman dead after being struck by dump truck

A female pedestrian was killed Monday morning after she was hit by a dump truck downtown Halifax.

Police say the 27-year-old Halifax woman was crossing Barrington and Sackville Streets just before 10:30 a.m. when she was struck. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

The dump truck, driven by a 50-year-old man, was headed south on Barrington Street when it turned right onto Sackville Street and ran over the woman, regional police spokesman Const. Jeff Carr said.

A witness told CTV news that the woman was leaving Tim Hortons with a sandwich and milk when she was struck and rolled under the truck while crossing the street. Another witness said the hand on the traffic light was flashing. Police interviewed witnesses, but no charges have been laid.

“It’s much too early to say whether anyone will face charges, whether she was in the crosswalk walking with the light or against the light,” Carr said.

More than a dozen people stood on the sidewalk in the drizzle yesterday to watch the investigation.

Some people working inside nearby businesses were shocked and upset.

Tim Hortons closed its blinds on the windows facing Sackville Street so its staff and customers wouldn’t have to see the scene.

Frozen Ocean, a clothing store on the corner of Sackville and Barrington streets, closed for a little while after the accident. A woman working at the shop said she was too upset to talk.

The woman’s body was covered by a tarp near the rear left wheel of the dump truck. Her body was taken away at about noon.

Part of Sackville and Barrington streets nearby remained closed to traffic until 2:15 yesterday. Police are not releasing the woman’s name until all of her family is notified.

Her name was Jaclyn Hennessey.

It doesn't matter if she was crossing on a flashing hand, if you're in the intersection when it's flashing, you still have the right of way (Those who have yet to cross shouldn't on a flashing, that's how it works)

Either way, it's no excuse to not keep your damn eyes open when driving and it doesn't give you a green light to run people over and get away with it.

The above photo however is a lot better then the one they showed on the front page of their newspaper, with the chunky red streak of blood from the crosswalk to the tarp. This photo at least they hosed down the area a bit better.

And it's not just this case here in Halifax when it comes to getting hit by vehicles.... there have been dozens hit and killed around the HRM in the last number of years..... the greater majority of them being at crosswalks.

So who's to blame in general?

Considering the skills of half the idiots around here who drive, how none use turn signals, zip in and out of lanes when they feel like, hit the ditch after an inch of snow hits the ground, people still yapping on their damn cell phones even though there is a ban on their use (Except via bluetooth) and how many I see each and everyday who see a yellow light.... know it's going to turn red before they get there, hit the gas anyways, and end up driving through the intersection 2 seconds after the red light comes on...... it's kinda suprising there hasn't been more deaths.

And from what I've been told by my brother and cousins who live in the bigger cities, it's even worse.

But suddenly it's to be expected that the onus falls just on the pedestrians while these jackasses who are supposed to have a license for a reason get off free of any responsibility?

There's such thing as defensive driving for a reason..... I know it, I am not on the roads to show off or to impress anybody else.... I'm on the roads to get from point A to point B in one piece without killing or harming anybody else. I have yet to hit anybody or get into an accident..... because I try my best to drive safe and to keep my damn eyes open.

Granted that I may still end up in an accident sometime down the road, be that by my fault or someone else's, at the very least I do everything in my power to make sure it doesn't happen..... hell, I'm probably one of the only people in this damn city who actually used their turn signals.....

People around here seem to drive as though turn signals are optional luxuries to add to their vehicles.

And when so many damn people in their cars, trucks, plows, etc. don't use their turn signals 95% of the time.... how the hell do you expect pedestrians to know wtf they're going? If they're not using their turn signals, you assume they're going straight..... you then proceed, only to have the idiot suddenly turn towards you, cutting you off, or even hitting you.

And they have the gull to wave their finger and yell at you for them not knowing how to fk'n drive? :angry3:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Qubec bans the use of Cellphones when driving. Thats automatically dangerous driving there if the laws are similar to most cellphone laws. Perhaps radios are somehow exhempt in law if not spirit.

Also, if there was no method of stopping, how fast was the plow going? Why did three people die that same day the same way?

Personal responsibility works both ways.

The guy was yapping on the radio while driving and ran over a person.

Someone listening to their MP3 player is not different then someone listening to their car stereo.... both have to open their damn eyes.

But in the same breath, if someone is in the crosswalk, they have the right of way.... and when someone is in their truck, plow or car, and they not only have their music playing, but also talking on their radio or cell phone, and then hit someone in the middle of a crosswalk..... the person with the MP3 player is at fault?

Give me a break.

For you and Z, who obviously have never driven a truck in slippery weather. Let alone a truck.

The stopping distance of a vehicle of 5 tons or greater is significantly greater then that of a Prius.

Even more so when road conditions are bad.

If a moron, pulls out or steps in front of you at 20 feet. They're dead.

Which was the jist of my point.

This isn't a scene from Austin Powers with a steam roller.

If you think that everybody uses caution when cross or entering or merging in front of heavy vehicles, think again.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
For you and Z, who obviously have never driven a truck in slippery weather. Let alone a truck.

The stopping distance of a vehicle of 5 tons or greater is significantly greater then that of a Prius.

Even more so when road conditions are bad.

If a moron, pulls out or steps in front of you at 20 feet. They're dead.

Which was the jist of my point.

This isn't a scene from Austin Powers with a steam roller.

If you think that everybody uses caution when cross or entering or merging in front of heavy vehicles, think again.

And in defensive driving, you only go as fast as you can see ahead of you and able to stop... it doesn't matter if you're stopping distance is longer then a smaller car or not, you adjust your speed to suit your ability to control.

In many of the above cases, most were all on corners where the person was going straight while the bigger vehicles were turning.

Exactly how fast do these vehicles go when they turn 90 degrees? 20 feet isn't enough to stop on a 90 degree turn at an intersection?

Cripes. :roll:

Yeah, It'd make sense if someone stepped out in the middle of the road on a straight-away where the truck would be going 50km's or more down it.... but none of these cases were this..... if this was the case, anybody in their dog would see the truck coming, know that it wasn't slowing down or they didn't have a chance and they wouldn't cross.

If they did, then yes indeed, they're dumb and natural selection comes into play.

However, I highly doubt in many of these cases your above explination would fall into place.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yeah, great argument.... go see Avro's thread in which you even replied about the same reaction as being trollish.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/steel-cage/81825-free-speech-merged-posts.html

I don't see the humor. :angry3:
You've missed the point...completely and repeatedly. You made your mind up all ready.

So what's the point?

If the driver was negligent, He would have been charged quickly at the scene. I have yet to find any article stating he was charged. That tells me a lot.

So my :roll:, still stands. Go condemn a man, who has to live with the memory of killing someone. Even though he may not be at fault.