Dogs important to wolf evolution: study

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Dogs important to wolf evolution: study

By Tom Spears, Canwest News ServiceFebruary 6, 2009 10:10 AM
Source: Dogs important to wolf evolution: study

Canada's grey wolves have black relatives among them because they interbred with dogs hundreds or thousands of years ago, a new Canada-U.S. study says.

This looks like an extremely rare case where genes from a domestic animal -- the dog -- can actually help a wild animal survive in the wild.

Grey wolves are the main wolf species in North America. Any wolf found in Canada is a grey -- even if it's black, or a white Arctic wolf. (The Arctic wolf and its southern relatives are simply close relatives adapted to different ecosystems, the study notes.)

But while there are wolves scattered across Europe and northern Asia, none is black.
Now Marco Musiani from the University of Calgary has traced the black gene back to its source, in dogs.

His team's study analyzed DNA from dozens of Canadian Arctic wolves, and more than 200 wolves in Yellowstone Park in the Northern U.S. that are descended from an Alberta group sent there for repopulation.

"We usually think that dogs developed from wolves, and here's an example where dogs gave something back to wolves," says Dr. Greg Barsh of Stanford University Medical Center, which joined in the genetic analysis. The study was published today in the journal Science.

Dogs split from wolves 15,000 to 30,000 years ago, through domestication and breeding by humans.

But the "black-coat gene" came back to wolves in the past 10,000 years, and it's the same gene found in black poodles and Labradors.

Is there an evolutionary advantage to the wolf? Black wolves don't seem to have any special hunting ability, says Barsh.

Yet black wolves live mainly in forested areas. Wolf packs in open country have fewer black members.

"It does seem pretty clear that there is an advantage" to the forest-dwelling black wolves, he concludes -- likely because black fur provides camouflage in dark forests, and helps them sneak up on prey.

The dark fur developed by human dog-breeding may actually help wolves adapt to climate change, which is also caused by humans, Musiani said. He's a professor in the faculty of environmental design.

Normally, the environment changes slowly, and animals adapt at the same pace, he said. But the climate is now changing too fast for animals that adapt slowly
"The wolves have found a shortcut," he said. Dark wolves, even in the Arctic, can help a pack hunt as winters become shorter. There are now more months with bare, dark ground where prey can see a white wolf from far off.

"People are influencing the environment so much," Musiani said. "Sometimes, if we want to give (an) organism a chance to survive and to evolve, we shouldn't underestimate the role of exchanging DNA and getting back mutations (i.e., genetic traits) from domesticated animals."

While this seems unnatural, he said, "we have already reached a point where the environment is human-determined."

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So does this mean for furthering our own species and to better ourselves, I should start dating an orangutan?

Naw, but seriously I do get their explination, the problem I have, which follows along with the lady in the US with the litter of kids or the 60 year old lady here in Canada who gave birth to twins, is just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should..... maybe some species are actually meant to die off.

But then again, I suppose, how do we, since we're already affecting things, pick and choose who, how or what we help? Something that may seem like a good idea, might turn out to be a complete disaster.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So does this mean for furthering our own species and to better ourselves, I should start dating an orangutan?

Hey Prax....as long as you're both consenting adults, what you do in
the privacy of your own home is none of my concern....but if I was
you I wouldn't be bragging about this around the water cooler the
next day. 8O :lol::lol::lol:.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Hey Prax....as long as you're both consenting adults, what you do in
the privacy of your own home is none of my concern....but if I was
you I wouldn't be bragging about this around the water cooler the
next day. 8O :lol::lol::lol:.

Well, I'd also have to start up a new campaign to fight for equal rights for my soon-to-be wife..... homosexual marriages are already having a tough time, I'm pretty sure we'd be on the back burners for a while, behind many other rights groups. :p

And yes, sure I might not get some positive feedback with the co-workers..... but I bet I'd have the only girlfriend who could do many impossible positions in bed......

yeah, that's right.... chuck that in your mental picture box and think about it :twisted:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
That's awesome that interferance had a beneficial affect. Course if the benefit results in more aerial slayings to protect moose, and elk I'm against furthering this "advantage"
Another awesome thing learned from wolf and dog studies is wolves don't have empathy the way that domestic dogs do. It shows it's something that we have bred into them. It holds huge possibilities for the future and it could mean a very horrendous moral dilemma will be upon us soon.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Close by here, we have one of the few remaining populations of red wolves. The breed has been hunted to near extinction and survivors beyond Algonquin are intermingling with coyotes now.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O,,,,,,,
So does this mean for furthering our own species and to better ourselves, I should start dating an orangutan?"""Prax

We heard ya already do.

How is XmerdaJil;e??

:lol:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Close by here, we have one of the few remaining populations of red wolves. The breed has been hunted to near extinction and survivors beyond Algonquin are intermingling with coyotes now.

Wow, I hope they keep those wolves safe. Coyotes are very smart and resourceful, breeding between the 2 might be good for the reds.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
8O,,,,,,,
So does this mean for furthering our own species and to better ourselves, I should start dating an orangutan?"""Prax

We heard ya already do.

How is XmerdaJil;e??

:lol:

Ok ok... making fun of my above mistress is one thing, taking shots as the real misses is getting a little over the line :-? :p