Fines won't keep man from clearing others' driveways

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Pat Hickey is seen plowing his neighbours' driveway in Corner Brook, N.L., on Wednesday, Feb. 4, 2009.

CTV.ca | Fines won't keep man from clearing others' driveways

A Newfoundland man who often drives his riding snowblower across the street to clear neighbours' driveways has no plans to stop -- even though he faces a hefty fine if he's caught.

Corner Brook, N.L. municipal police recently issued a formal warning to Pat Hickey after they observed him perched atop his John Deere snowblower crossing the roadway from his own home to his neighbour's property just a few metres away.

Hickey purchased his riding snowblower earlier this winter and has been voluntarily clearing snow from many of his neighbours' driveways, most of whom are seniors.

"I thought it would be nice to help them out but the city didn't see it that way," Hickey told Canada AM via telephone from Corner Brook on Thursday.

Last week, the city Hickey slapped with a ticket warning, accusing him of operating a recreational vehicle on a city street which is in violation of a municipal by-law. The city claimed Hickey was causing traffic disruptions.

Hickey said he minds the traffic and he's received no complaints from the public.

He said he plows about 10 driveways in the morning and in the evening after a major snowfall.

"My driveway is pretty small, so I didn't buy it just for my driveway. I'd be pretty lazy otherwise," Hickey said.

The City of Corner Brook has gone on damage control since the media latched on to this Good Samaritan story. The city insists Hickey can still clear the driveways along the street as long as he pushes, pulls, tows or carries the heavy-duty piece of equipment across the road.

Are you kidding me? That'd make him stay on the roads even longer.... that's completely stupid.

Hickey said a kill switch prevents him from walking the blower across.

"It's kind of like a safety device, you've got to be sitting on it or else it won't run," he said.

Hickey said the warning won't keep him from driving his snowblower from house-to-house in the event of another snowfall.

"I did yesterday," he said.

Hickey said he has received an "amazing" amount of encouragement from the wider community.

"People are phoning, people are coming by my house, driving by, saying 'Keep up the good work.'"

As well he should.

Cities and Towns don't have an issue with their little sidewalk plows driving along the sides of the roads, crossing the streets, etc..... I see them do this everyday it snows..... yet he has a similar machine, and they plan to fine him?

What a joke.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
wow....I wonder how a recreational vehicle like this would be
perceived by Law Enforcement & The City of Corner Brook?
Would the operator of this "recreational vehicle" also have to
push, pull, tow or carry this piece of equipment across a road
in Corner Brook, Newfoundland??? 8O8O8O

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Update:

The ticket orderes Pat Hickey to cease operation of his plow on the roadway.

City defends action against N.L. snowblower driver
CTV.ca | City defends action against N.L. snowblower driver

The City of Corner Brook, N.L. is defending its decision to issue a ticket to a local resident for driving his riding slowblower across the street to clear his neighbour's driveways.

City officials recently issued a written warning to Pat Hickey, accusing him of operating a recreational vehicle on a city street, which is in violation of a municipal bylaw.

The city said it remains "very concerned" about the indiscriminate use of recreational vehicles, especially those that move snow and could create a hazard for motorists, the city said in a press release.

Once again.... what about these things?:

^ They're backing onto the roads and crossing the roads continually as they do their jobs..... oh, but they're run/paid for by the city/town, therefore they're exempt from the laws?

What a joke.

"The City of Corner Brook will maintain its enforcement efforts in this regard," the press release stated.

Hickey has been voluntarily using his riding snowblower nearly all winter long to clear snow from many of his neighbours' driveways, most of whom are seniors.

The City of Corner Brook has gone on damage control since the media latched on to this Good Samaritan story. In an effort to shed light on the incident, Corner Brook staff detailed the exchange between Hickey and municipal enforcement officers.

On Jan. 30, Corner Brook municipal officials were out on regular patrol when they spotted Hickey perched atop his John Deere snowblower crossing the roadway, the city press release states.

The release described Hickey as proceeding on his "Lawn Tractor" in the wrong direction on Central Street -- a one-way street.

A one way street?!

Do they expect him to continue to "block" further traffic by circling around the neighborhood to get back on this street?

And if it was snowing out and the place is burried, is there really that much of a concern for traffic?

You gotta be kidding me!

The patrolling officers verbally warned Hickey not to drive his equipment on the road, even if he was removing snow that fell the night before from neighbours' driveways.

Hickey indicated he would comply, the city memo said.

But that wouldn't be the last exchange between Corner Brook enforcement officers and Hickey.

Later that day, officers noticed a roaming dog on Central Street and approached Hickey again.

Hickey confirmed the canine was his. The dog accidentally got out of the house, he said. Hickey was still operating the snowblower at the time, the press release indicated.

After returning to Corner Brook City Hall, officers determined Hickey's pet was unlicensed.

The city did fine Hickey for having an unlicensed and roaming animal, but issued a "warning-only" ticket for illegally driving the snowblower, since officials considered it a less serious violation.

Hickey told Canada AM on Thursday he minds the traffic when riding his snowblower and he's received no complaints from the public.

"I thought it would be nice to help them out but the city didn't see it that way," Hickey he said on the line from Corner Brook.

The city insists Hickey can still clear the driveways along the street as long as he pushes, pulls, tows or carries the heavy-duty piece of equipment across the road.

But Hickey said a kill switch prevents him from walking the blower across.

"It's kind of like a safety device, you've got to be sitting on it or else it won't run," he said.

Hickey said the warning won't keep him from driving his snowblower from house-to-house in the event of another snowfall.

"I did yesterday," he said.

He said he plows about 10 driveways in the morning and in the evening after a major snowfall.

"My driveway is pretty small, so I didn't buy it just for my driveway. I'd be pretty lazy otherwise," Hickey said.

Hickey said he has received an "amazing" amount of encouragement from the wider community.

"People are phoning, people are coming by my house, driving by, saying 'Keep up the good work.'"

I think these idiots should actually do their jobs and focus on more important issues.... if nobody's complaining, then drink your cup of STFU!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Calling a snow blower a "recreational vehicle" implys that blowing snow is recreational.

People in Cornerbrook need to get out more.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I have a feeling this one may be taken up in the courts. To punish someone like this is stupid. Why not worry about real crimes rather than someone helping out their neighbours? Idiocy.:roll:

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

Cities and Towns don't have an issue with their little sidewalk plows driving along the sides of the roads, crossing the streets, etc..... I see them do this everyday it snows..... yet he has a similar machine, and they plan to fine him?

What a joke.

Now if I am not mistaken most cities have a bylaw that requires you to clean off the sidewalk or pay a fine that touch the land you own. I guess that is to the discretion of each municipality but this seems ridiculous..

Besides how can they classify this as a recreational vehicle when it should have been classified more as a not licensed work vehicle.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Now if I am not mistaken most cities have a bylaw that requires you to clean off the sidewalk or pay a fine that touch the land you own. I guess that is to the discretion of each municipality but this seems ridiculous..

Besides how can they classify this as a recreational vehicle when it should have been classified more as a not licensed work vehicle.

I agree on both parts.... here in Hali, there are laws were you have to clear the sidewalks in front of your business or home, even though it's city property (how fuct is that?)

and yes, so long as he has that on the front of the tractor, he shouldn't be charged, because he's using it for what it's designed for.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Pat Hickey is seen plowing his neighbours' driveway in Corner Brook, N.L., on Wednesday, Feb. 4, 2009.

Are you kidding me? That'd make him stay on the roads even longer.... that's completely stupid.

As well he should.

What a joke.

There's a true bureaucracy, these guys should spend the same amount of time chasing down criminals.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
What a crock of BS. Are they fining snow removal companies who are doing basically the same thing?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Jeezzzussss! This has to be the work of Al Qeada! I knew they were going to strike but I didn't know where. With the downfall of civilization eminent in Corner Brook, it's only a matter of time before we see snowblower punks roaming the streets of our nation's capital and dogs running every which way!

Face it people, the terrorists won!:-(

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

As well he should.

What a joke.

Seems to me we are quickly getting away from "helping our fellow man and being a good neighbour" in favour of abetting and aiding bureaucrats.