Manitoba goverment seeks to ban media from 'white-pride' custody trial

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Manitoba goverment seeks to ban media from 'white-pride' custody trial

Manitoba is asking the provincial court to ban media from attending any part of a custody case involving a girl who went to school with a swastika drawn on an arm.

Child welfare workers removed the seven-year-old and her two-year-old brother from their Winnipeg home last year. The government is now asking the courts for permanent guardianship of the children but their mother is fighting to get them back.

Lawyers for Child and Family Services have filed an application to ban media outlets from covering the trial.

Media are already bound by law not to report on anything that might identify the children.

The high-profile custody case received national attention and sparked a debate over whether children can be taken from their parents on the basis of suspected racism.

The children were taken away last year after the girl went to school with the swastika drawn on her arm and a teacher scrubbed it off. The mother helped her daughter draw it on her arm again, an act she regrets.

"It was one of the stupidest things I've done in my life but it's no reason to take my kids," the mother told CBC News at the time.

Child and Family Services case workers were alerted and went to the family's apartment, where they found neo-Nazi symbols and flags, and took custody of her son. Her daughter was taken from school.

In court documents, social workers say they're worried the parents' conduct and associations might harm the emotional well-being of the children and put them at risk.

Although she proudly wears a silver necklace that includes a swastika and has "white pride" flags in her home, the mother, who can't be named to avoid identifying her children, denies she's a neo-Nazi or white supremacist.

"A black person has a right to say black power or black pride and yet they're turning around on us and saying we're racists and bigots and neo-Nazis because we say white pride. It's hypocrisy at its finest."

She's got a point, but I don't see how if you really believe in pride of being white, that you need to revolve that believe around swastikas and other images commonly accepted as being related to hate.

And her drawing it back on her child's arm probably didn't help things any...... but when I was a kid there were other students who did the same thing.... they'd draw them in their books, on their arms, hands, desks, etc..... but they wern't racists.... most didn't even know what the heck it ment other then a symbol commonly not liked, similar to the anarchy symbol, etc.

And last I checked, they're still not racists..... it was just a stupid thing to do as a kid to grab attention, which worked in this case.

But I believe these social workers stepped over the line in this case and judged the situation based on their own personal morals and not really towards the well being of the child...... and I bet this is a similar situation as what's occured in the US with little Hitler and his birthday cake..... whom was taken away shortly after that incident.

But once again, she does have a point.... other races will shout black power, or gay pride this or that..... so long as they don't promote hate or violence towards othe races, I don't see why they can't hang onto their kids.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The kid in the US wasn't taken away over his name. The fact that social workers in Manitoba will do this shows they don't have enough work to do. As long as those kids are well fed and looked after and not abused, their mother has every right to raise them.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
""It was one of the stupidest things I've done in my life but it's no reason to take my kids," the mother told CBC News at the time."

By the sounds of it, I highly doubt that.