Apocalypse in 2012

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Should we be stocking up on survival gear now?

Just as "Y2K" and its batch of predictions about the year 2000 have become a distant memory, here comes "Twenty-twelve."
The sun shines through the door of the Seven Dolls Temple, in the Maya ruins of Dzibilchaltun in Mexico.

Fueled by a crop of books, Web sites with countdown clocks, and claims about ancient timekeepers, interest is growing in what some see as the dawn of a new era, and others as an expiration date for Earth: December 21, 2012.
The date marks the end of a 5,126-year cycle on the Long Count calendar developed by the Maya, the ancient civilization known for its advanced understanding of astronomy and for the great cities it left behind in Mexico and Central America.
(Some scholars believe the cycle ends a bit later -- on December 23, 2012.)

Speculation in some circles about whether the Maya chose this particular time because they thought something ominous would happen has sparked a number of doomsday theories.

The hype also has mainstream Maya scholars shaking their heads.
"There's going to be a whole generation of people who, when they think of the Maya, think of 2012, and to me that's just criminal," said David Stuart, director of the Mesoamerica Center at the University of Texas at Austin.
"There is no serious scholar who puts any stock in the idea that the Maya said anything meaningful about 2012."

But take the fact that December 21, 2012, coincides with the winter solstice, add claims the Maya picked the time period because it also marks an alignment of the sun with the center of the Milky Way galaxy, and you have the makings of an online sensation.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It is still very interesting how that date keeps popping up independently from
so many different directions.....from modern stock market prediction programs
to the Mayan calandar. 8O

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
If they were that good at predicting, they might have seen their own demise.

Yeah I keep thinking that as well.... sure they had some impressive structures and sure they were advance for their era..... they were still humans and humans make all sorts of mistakes....... and since they're already wiped out for whatever reason, I'd say their doomsday has already long past.

And besides, as I mentioned in a previous thread about this subject, there has been a hell of a lot more doomsday predictions then just Y2K..... check this site out for some of the other predictions that never came true:

List of past Doomsday Predictions:
http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm
http://www.2think.org/hundredsheep/s...dictions.shtml
http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm

ca. 2800 BC
According to Isaac Asimov's Book of Facts (1979), an Assyrian clay tablet dating to approximately 2800 BC was unearthed bearing the words "Our earth is degenerate in these latter days. There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end. Bribery and corruption are common." This is one of the earliest examples of the perception of moral decay in society being interpreted as a sign of the imminent end.

634 BC
Apocalyptic thinking gripped many ancient cultures, including the Romans. Early in Rome's history, many Romans feared that the city would be destroyed in the 120th year of its founding. There was a myth that 12 eagles had revealed to Romulus a mystical number representing the lifetime of Rome, and some early Romans hypothesized that each eagle represented 10 years. The Roman calendar was counted from the founding of Rome, 1 AUC (ab urbe condita) being 753 BC. Thus 120 AUC is 634 BC. (Thompson p.19)

389 BC
Some Romans figured that the mystical number revealed to Romulus represented the number of days in a year (the Great Year concept), so they expected Rome to be destroyed around 365 AUC (389 BC). (Thompson p.19)

1st Century
Jesus said, "Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:2:cool: This implies that the Second Coming would return within the lifetime of his contemporaries, and indeed the Apostles expected Jesus to return before the passing of their generation.

2nd Century
The Montanists believed that Christ would come again within their lifetimes and establish a new Jerusalem at Pepuza, in the land of Phrygia. Montanism was perhaps the first bona fide Christian doomsday cult. It was founded ca. 156 AD by the tongues-speaking prophet Montanus and two followers, Priscilla and Maximilla. Despite the failure of Jesus to return, the cult lasted for several centuries. Tertullian, who once said "I believe it just because it is unbelievable" (a true skeptic if ever there was one!), was perhaps the most renowned Montanist. (Gould p.43-44)

Rome celebrated its thousandth anniversary this year. At the same time, the Roman government dramatically increased its persecution of Christians, so much so that many Christians believed that the End had arrived. (Source: PBS Frontline special Apocalypse!)

Late 4th Century
St. Martin of Tours (ca. 316-397) wrote, "There is no doubt that the Antichrist has already been born. Firmly established already in his early years, he will, after reaching maturity, achieve supreme power." (Abanes p.119)

Roman theologian Sextus Julius Africanus (ca. 160-240) claimed that the End would occur 6000 years after the Creation. He assumed that there were 5531 years between the Creation and the Resurrection, and thus expected the Second Coming to take place no later than 500 AD. (Kyle p.37, McIver #21)
Hippolytus (died ca. 236), believing that Christ would return 6000 years after the Creation, anticipated the Parousia in 500 AD. (Abanes p.283)
The theologian Irenaeus, influenced by Hippolytus's writings, also saw 500 as the year of the Second Coming. (Abanes p.283, McIver #15)

Apr 6, 793
Elipandus, bishop of Toledo, described a brief bout of end-time panic that happened on Easter Eve, 793. According to Elipandus, the Spanish monk Beatus of Liébana prophesied the end of the world that day in the presence a crowd of people. The people, thinking that the world would end that night, became frightened, panicked, and fasted through the night until dawn. Seeing that the world had not ended and feeling hungry, Hordonius, one of the fasters, quipped, "Let's eat and drink, so that if we die at least we'll be fed." (Abanes p. 168-169, Weber p.50)

Sextus Julius Africanus revised the date of Doomsday to 800 AD. (Kyle p.37)
Beatus of Liébana wrote in his Commentary on the Apocalypse, which he finished in 786, that there were only 14 years left until the end of the world. Thus, the world would end by 800 at the latest. (Abanes p.168 )

Skipping a bunch:

Sep 23, 1186
John of Toledo, after calculating that a planetary alignment would occur in Libra on September 23, 1186 (Julian calendar), circulated a letter (known as the "Letter of Toledo") warning that the world was to going to be destroyed on this date, and that only a few people would survive. (Randi p.236)

Feb 14, 1420
Czech Doomsday prophet Martinek Hausha (Martin Huska) of the radical Taborite movement warned that the world would end in February 1420, February 14 at the latest. The Taborites were an offshoot of the Hussite movement of Bohemia. (McIver #71, Shaw p.43)

ca. 1555
Around the year 1400, the French theologian Pierre d'Ailly wrote that 6845 years of human history had already passed, and the end of the world would be in the 7000th year. His works would later influence the apocalyptic thinking of Christopher Columbus. (McIver #72)

Final apocalyptic battle and the destruction of the Antichrist were to take place between 1655 and 1657, as per the Fifth Monarchy Men, a radical group of English millenarians who attempted to take over Parliament to impose their extremist theocratic agenda on the country. Not unlike the Christian Coalition of modern-day America! (Kyle p.67)

As this date is 1000 (millennium) + 666 (number of the Beast) and followed a period of war and strife in England, many Londoners feared that 1666 would be the end of the world. The Great Fire of London in 1666 did not help to alleviate these fears. (Schwartz p.87, Kyle p.67-68
Sabbatai Zevi recalculated the coming of the Messiah to 1666. Despite his failed prophecies, he had accumulated a great many followers. He was later arrested for stirring up trouble, and given the choice of converting to Islam or execution. Pragmatic man that he was, he wisely elected for the former. (Festinger)

• The end of the world, according to some Puritans. (Kyle p.79)
• John Napier's doomsday calculation #2, based on the Book of Daniel. (Weber p.92)
• The date of the Second Coming, according to Henry Archer, a Fifth Monarchy Man. Archer made this prediction in his 1642 book The Personall Reign of Christ Upon Earth. (McIver #158 )

1891 or before:
On 1835-FEB-14, Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church, attended a meeting of church leaders. He said that the meeting had been called because God had commanded it. He announced that Jesus would return within 56 years -- i.e. before 1891-FEB-15. (History of the Church 2:182)

was one of the more important estimates of the start of the war of Armageddon by the Jehovah's Witnesses (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society). They based their prophecy of 1914 from prophecy in the book of Daniel, Chapter 4. The writings referred to "seven times". The WTS interpreted each "time" as equal to 360 days, giving a total of 2520 days. This was further interpreted as representing 2520 years, measured from the starting date of 607 BCE. This gave 1914 as the target date. When 1914 passed, they changed their prediction; 1914 became the year that Jesus invisibly began his rule.

1919:
Meteorologist Albert Porta predicted that the conjunction of 6 planets would generate a magnetic current that would cause the sun to explode and engulf the earth on DEC-17.

1948:
During this year, the state of Israel was founded. Some Christians believed that this event was the final prerequisite for the second coming of Jesus. Various end of the world predictions were made in the range 1888 to 2048.

1953-AUG:
David Davidson wrote a book titled "The Great Pyramid, Its Divine Message". In it, he predicted that the world would end in 1953-AUG.

1960:
Piazzi Smyth, a past astronomer royal of Scotland, wrote a book circa 1860 titled "Our Inheritance in the Great Pyramid." It was responsible for spreading the belief in pyramidology throughout the world. This is the belief that secrets are hidden in the dimensions of the great pyramids. He concluded from his research that the millennium would start before the end of 1960 CE.

1967:
During the six day war, the Israeli army captured all of Jerusalem. Many conservative Christians believed that the rapture would occur quickly. However, the final Biblical prerequisite for the second coming is that the Jews resume ritual animal sacrifices in the temple at Jerusalem. That never happened.

1980:
Leland Jensen leader of a Baha'i Faith group, predicted that a nuclear disaster would happen in 1980. This would be followed by two decades of conflict, ending in the establishment of God's Kingdom on earth.

1982:
Astronomers John Gribben & Setphen Plagemann predicted the "Jupiter Effect" in 1974. They wrote that when various planets were aligned on the same side of the sun, tidal forces would create solar flares, radio interruptions, rainfall and temperature disturbances and massive earthquakes. The planets did align as seen from earth, as they do regularly. Nothing unusual happened.

1986:
Moses David of The Children of God faith group predicted that the Battle of Armageddon would take place in 1986. Russia would defeat Israel and the United States. A worldwide Communist dictatorship would be established. In 1993, Christ would return to earth.

1987 to 2000:
Lester Sumrall, in his 1987 book "I Predict 2000 AD" predicted that Jerusalem would be the richest city on Earth, that the Common Market would rule Europe, and that there would be a nuclear war involving Russia and perhaps the U.S. Also, he prophesized that the greatest Christian revival in the history of the church would happen: all during the last 13 years of the 20th century. All of the predictions failed.

1988 CT-11:
Edgar Whisenaut, a NASA scientist, had published the book "88 Reasons why the Rapture will Occur in 1988." It sold over 4 million copies.

^ Not to mention the Y2k stuff...... when you add up all of these various predictions of when the world is going to end, and you compare all of their success rates, which is Zero..... chances are that this Aztec prediction with be completely wrong too.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I wonder if a thought has occured to anyone - probably the ancient Maya have just given up making their calendar? Maybe they have got tired of it, and decided that their descendants will go on with it? :smile:

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
All that is going on in 2012 is an alignment between the Earth, the Sun and the center of the Milky Way. Big deal... If we rely on what science knows about how the universe works, there isn't much to worry about.

Whether you believe 2012 is a meaningful year or not depends on this question. Do you believe what happens in the celestial realms is connected to the human realm beyond material causality? In other words, is there some form of meaningful synchronicity between astronomical events and human events?

Synchronicity is not the same thing as causality.

For a better understanding of the idea of synchronicity, read this:

Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Mayan calendar doesn't "end" in 2012, it just resets in the same way an old chronometer at 99.99 would reset back to 00.00... Whether this is meaningful or not in terms of human events depends on how much you are willing to consider the idea of astrology because in the end, all the hype about 2012 really just is based on some astrological interpretation of an astronomical event.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
These people crack me up. I had a guy telling me all about our impending peril just the other day. Not only that but it seems that everything that has ever happened is some secret plot in the works manipulated by shadowy people behind the scenes.

Combined with the world ending in 2012 we're all to have little computer chips inserted into us so that we don't need bank cards or ID anymore.

Is critical thinking impossible for some people?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
All that is going on in 2012 is an alignment between the Earth, the Sun and the center of the Milky Way. Big deal... If we rely on what science knows about how the universe works, there isn't much to worry about.

Whether you believe 2012 is a meaningful year or not depends on this question. Do you believe what happens in the celestial realms is connected to the human realm beyond material causality? In other words, is there some form of meaningful synchronicity between astronomical events and human events?

Synchronicity is not the same thing as causality.

For a better understanding of the idea of synchronicity, read this:

Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Mayan calendar doesn't "end" in 2012, it just resets in the same way an old chronometer at 99.99 would reset back to 00.00... Whether this is meaningful or not in terms of human events depends on how much you are willing to consider the idea of astrology because in the end, all the hype about 2012 really just is based on some astrological interpretation of an astronomical event.

Good point....

Another point would be..... has any human in history ever witnessed a string of planets or solar system destroying itself simply because the planets aligned? Through all of our technology, all of our various telescopes and all of our study through the centuries up until today..... when did anybody ever come to a factual conclusion of a solar system or one planet out of a collective some how losing its orbit or exploding, or anything else out of the ordinary, from simply hitting an alignment point in the orbital cycle?

None that I'm aware of.

So where do these people get the idea that somehow as soon as all of the planets align, everything's going to goto hell?

I'm pretty sure they all aligned numerous times in the past, long before humans even existed..... the planets are still around, they're still orbiting the sun.......

And you know what?

hundreds of years down the road, everybody will completely forget about all of this 2012 prediction stuff and will be predicting 3012, or 4012..... or 4040, or 3210 AD.....

In the end, no matter what we all believe, we each will face our own doom through any given amount of time on this planet..... from a comet smacking us all.... from old age, a car accident, cancer, farting to long and too hard..... whatever....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When I lived on Gabriola Island I had a neighbor who had a computer tech in his house for almost a full day getting his computer ready for Y2K. My neighbor and I had already talked about this earlier and I told him it was nothing but a scam but Hienz wouldn't here of it.......He happily paid close to $3000.00 for his ignorance.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
These people crack me up. I had a guy telling me all about our impending peril just the other day. Not only that but it seems that everything that has ever happened is some secret plot in the works manipulated by shadowy people behind the scenes.

Combined with the world ending in 2012 we're all to have little computer chips inserted into us so that we don't need bank cards or ID anymore.

40 some odd years ago, people thought star trek communicators, space travel and all that junk was limited only to the imagination.

I imagine someday down the road we'll just be able to swipe our hand or flick our eye to pass along information..... but not by 2012 in any main stream fashion..... and the end of the world as we know it and the take over of the New World Order doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

Afterall, Bush never called his Martial Law before he left power..... life goes on.

I guess i owe Eagle a Coke. :p

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
When I lived on Gabriola Island I had a neighbor who had a computer tech in his house for almost a full day getting his computer ready for Y2K. My neighbor and I had already talked about this earlier and I told him it was nothing but a scam but Hienz wouldn't here of it.......He happily paid close to $3000.00 for his ignorance.

What a dumbass.... I just turned on my computer the next day and everything was normal.... I didn't do a thing for Y2K.

Then again, if something did happen, I'd be the dumbass now wouldn't I?

Them's the breaks :cool:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
40 some odd years ago, people thought star trek communicators, space travel and all that junk was limited only to the imagination.

I imagine someday down the road we'll just be able to swipe our hand or flick our eye to pass along information..... but not by 2012 in any main stream fashion..... and the end of the world as we know it and the take over of the New World Order doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

Afterall, Bush never called his Martial Law before he left power..... life goes on.

I guess i owe Eagle a Coke. :p

My favorite beverage.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What a dumbass.... I just turned on my computer the next day and everything was normal.... I didn't do a thing for Y2K.

Then again, if something did happen, I'd be the dumbass now wouldn't I?

Them's the breaks :cool:

People made a flipping fortune before Y2K. Most companies chalked up these expeditures and said if they hadn't preempted the so called Y2K bug things would have happened. However many small businesses did nothing and everything worked Jan 1, 2000. I didn't do a thing either and my PC worked fine.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
People made a flipping fortune before Y2K. Most companies chalked up these expeditures and said if they hadn't preempted the so called Y2K bug things would have happened. However many small businesses did nothing and everything worked Jan 1, 2000. I didn't do a thing either and my PC worked fine.

Indeed.... it might have been a problem if say all the banks and companies were still running old Commadores around 1999 or something, but all the computers that had those issues have been replaced pretty much before Windows 95 came out (coming out with the new OS's with the end of the decade coming soon would have made logical sense to make them compatible with the turn of the century.)

I'm pretty sure this whole Y2K fearmongering over baseless assumptions was what helped create the next big terror to the world..... Global Warming..... OooOoooOooooo.....

And I'm sure as soon as there's no question about how the planet is starting to freeze up to normal again, the Global Warmongers will spout off much of the same as the Y2K people, in that all their claims and attempts to get everybody to suck up all their products and fancy lights was what made the difference in preventing Global Warming....... even though the same people said it'd take 30-40 years of continual change for any effect to occur. :roll:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

You proove it conclusivly in my opinion.:lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Indeed.... it might have been a problem if say all the banks and companies were still running old Commadores around 1999 or something, but all the computers that had those issues have been replaced pretty much before Windows 95 came out (coming out with the new OS's with the end of the decade coming soon would have made logical sense to make them compatible with the turn of the century.)

I'm pretty sure this whole Y2K fearmongering over baseless assumptions was what helped create the next big terror to the world..... Global Warming..... OooOoooOooooo.....

And I'm sure as soon as there's no question about how the planet is starting to freeze up to normal again, the Global Warmongers will spout off much of the same as the Y2K people, in that all their claims and attempts to get everybody to suck up all their products and fancy lights was what made the difference in preventing Global Warming....... even though the same people said it'd take 30-40 years of continual change for any effect to occur. :roll:

I wonder if you plug in a Commodore without any Y2K downloads (if they even had them) would they still work. I am sure they will.

I had no idea you were part of the non-global warming crowd. Am I correct?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The cosmological science of many ancient people was quite accurate. Now you can believe in the timeless steady passivity of the solar system if you must or you can exercise criticle thinking and apply it to that same standard commercial model of the system, as you should if indeed you were a critical thinker.
When and if you get arround to it you will be entertained magnificently.
As far as I know all the Mayans and other users of thier famous long count calendar ever said was it marked the end of one cycle and the beginning of the next. What the alignment physically means is open to exploration.
I'd be looking for falling skys personally. Big chunks delivered with predictability afforded by millinea of precise observation and record aught not to be confused with holly-wood or guesswork. The Oort cloud is an interesting place to beginhttp://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~jewitt/oort.html