Oil patch drying up, jobless return to C.B.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Home, retreat home
Home, retreat home - Nova Scotia News - TheChronicleHerald.ca

Allan MacDonald didn’t think the good times would ever end.

The Cape Bretoner and his young wife were living in a $320,000 home, driving two brand new cars and pulling in an income that would make his friends back in New Waterford blush.

But five years after moving to Alberta in search of riches and a regular paycheque, MacDonald and many of his neighbours are back on the island with uncertain job prospects and doubts about the faltering economic miracle that has funnelled millions into their communities.

"I didn’t think it would actually happen," he said of the drop in oil prices and resulting work slowdowns that have cost many of his friends their jobs.

"For my first three years there, everything was climbing, like the prices of homes, everything. But, in the last two years, everything seems to be like it’s dying. Nobody’s spending money. Everybody’s trying to keep above water."

MacDonald, who recently moved his wife and five-week-old baby in with his mother in New Waterford while they try to sell their home back in Alberta, is one of a growing number of people from the East who are either out of work or waiting for things in the oil patch to pick up again.

The 29-year-old was working as a motor hand on a drill rig in Grande Prairie, hauling in more than $125,000 annually and riding on assurances that there would be steady work for years to come.

But as oil prices fell and global markets tanked, MacDonald said he was spending more time at home with no pay as projects stalled or were cancelled outright. In the end, he decided to transfer to New Brunswick where his company is involved in gas exploration.

Still, he hasn’t worked since late last year.

"It’s pretty crappy right now," he said, adding that three of his wife’s uncles are either waiting for calls to go back or will soon be heading home. "There are quite a few people home now. A lot of guys are returning."

The trend is worrisome for many of the small, economically depressed towns throughout Atlantic Canada that saw men and women head west in droves for the promise of quick cash.

New Waterford became an epicentre for the phenomenon as half the population drained away to Alberta, leaving wives and children at home to receive paycheques and visits from the largely male workforce every few weeks.

But the streets are beginning to fill again with the men who have gone through this migratory rite of passage, and are now stuck home awaiting calls back to work that aren’t coming.

"We’ve seen a major influx of people," said Carrie Ernst, manager of the Employment Resource Centre in New Waterford, a former mining town that’s seen its population shrink to about 7,000 from about 12,000 a few decades ago.

"Usually this time of year the guys have come home for Christmas and they’re on their way back out, but the opportunities that we see on a regular basis just simply aren’t there."

Calgary-based Flint Energy Services Ltd, which provides construction, transportation and other services to major energy producers, announced last week that it will lay off workers immediately.

Flint expects up to $150 million less in revenues this year because of oilsands giant Suncor Energy Inc.’s (TSX:SU) decision to put major expansion projects on hold.

Signs of the downturn started appearing months ago in New Waterford. Ads in the local paper seeking workers for the West disappeared and an airline that used to shuttle oil patch workers between Fort McMurray, Alta., and Sydney, recently cancelled its weekly flight.

Ernst said she’s no longer getting calls from companies in Alberta in search of tradespeople and labourers.

Data shows that chronic outmigration has slowed in recent months in all Atlantic provinces, dealing a tough blow to people used to $29 an hour wages but who are now having trouble finding any work in Cape Breton communities saddled with unemployment rates of 13 per cent.

"Our biggest concern was population loss, so in a sense you’re very glad that that hopefully is slowing somewhat," said John Whalley, economic development manager for the Cape Breton Regional Municipality, which includes New Waterford.

"But for the families who’ve benefited from the work away, your real concern is that they lose that income, and that’s more people that are going to be on the EI rolls."

Funny...... didn't I say in a previous debate that eventually the crap would hit the fan out west and eventually this would start to happen, and the other side of the argument was that there wouldn't be problems to come for decades?

Told ya so. :twisted:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's temporary. Unless Cape Breton and other have not areas get their poop in a group, these people will head back west once the price of crude rebounds...which it will. People in Alberta are well aware of the energy cycle.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Ya, there is still lots of jobs to be had in southeastern Alberta. We are more of a natural gas economy here.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Man must suck to be the east.

When people are unemployed and looking for work, they go back east and drive down labour prices and clog the social network.

When the money comes in they head west and pay taxes there.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I heavy dependance on Oil and Gas and inability to diversify has always been the bane of the Albertan economy. It's a "boom and bust" 3rd world economic cycle

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There are already forecasts of an upswing. These same people will be needed in two more months. And the companies will have to pay premium to get them back. The whole cycle is idiotic. The money that gets wasted chasing money could give everyone a stable economy. All these relocation costs are ridiculous.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I heavy dependance on Oil and Gas and inability to diversify has always been the bane of the Albertan economy. It's a "boom and bust" 3rd world economic cycle

Haven't you heard they have beef and rape seed there too?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There are already forecasts of an upswing. These same people will be needed in two more months. And the companies will have to pay premium to get them back. The whole cycle is idiotic. The money that gets wasted chasing money could give everyone a stable economy. All these relocation costs are ridiculous.

Hope you are right there, Karrie, my son has worked in the patch off and on for over 20 years and never seen work as spotty as the past two or three months, of course part of the problem in "the patch" is being disciplined enough to put $5 or $10 aside , when pulling in cheques for $10 or $15 thousand dollars.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm always amazed at how people can fool themselves.

Even 4 or 5 years ago, people discussed how the oil boom couldn't last forever, and it was time to sell if you owned a house out in Ft McMoney.

But then again, 20 years ago, the guys working at Saint John Shipbuilding somehow assumed that once the Frigates were built, they'd still magically have jobs making $100,000/year. So most of them never saved a freakin dime.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Hope you are right there, Karrie, my son has worked in the patch off and on for over 20 years and never seen work as spotty as the past two or three months, of course part of the problem in "the patch" is being disciplined enough to put $5 or $10 aside , when pulling in cheques for $10 or $15 thousand dollars.
Same thing with loggers. Most have no clue about financial management. I can't count the number that have gone out and bought a new truck and camper or a boat at the start of a strike in the summer or used a credit card to vacation in the sun during xmas shutdown. Financial Darwinism.
Somehow I just can't work up a whole bunch of sympathy for anyone that bought an overpriced house and two new vehicles with minimum down at the peak of the cycle.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Part of it is a cultural taboo against talking about money.

Capitalism depends on the free flow of information. I really think all tax records should be public, like certain scandanavian nations.