Pope Takes Right Turn?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Hey, I just saw this on the CBC website.

Quote:
Pope lifts excommunications of 4 bishops, including Holocaust denier
Last Updated: Saturday, January 24, 2009 | 10:19 PM ET Comments175Recommend60
The Associated Press
Pope Benedict has lifted the excommunications of four traditionalist bishops, including a Holocaust denier whose rehabilitation sparked outrage among Jewish groups.

The four bishops were excommunicated 20 years ago after they were consecrated by the late ultraconservative Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre without papal consent — a move the Vatican said at the time was an act of schism.

The Vatican said Saturday that Benedict rehabilitated the four as part of his efforts to bring Lefebvre's Society of St. Pius X back into the Vatican's fold.

But the move came just days after one of the four, British Bishop Richard Williamson, was shown in a Swedish state TV interview saying that historical evidence "is hugely against six million Jews having been deliberately gassed."

Makes one warm all over to see this generosity of spirit! Or does it?

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hey, I just saw this on the CBC website.

Quote:
Pope lifts excommunications of 4 bishops, including Holocaust denier
Last Updated: Saturday, January 24, 2009 | 10:19 PM ET Comments175Recommend60
The Associated Press
Pope Benedict has lifted the excommunications of four traditionalist bishops, including a Holocaust denier whose rehabilitation sparked outrage among Jewish groups.

The four bishops were excommunicated 20 years ago after they were consecrated by the late ultraconservative Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre without papal consent — a move the Vatican said at the time was an act of schism.

The Vatican said Saturday that Benedict rehabilitated the four as part of his efforts to bring Lefebvre's Society of St. Pius X back into the Vatican's fold.

But the move came just days after one of the four, British Bishop Richard Williamson, was shown in a Swedish state TV interview saying that historical evidence "is hugely against six million Jews having been deliberately gassed."

Makes one warm all over to see this generosity of spirit! Or does it?
Have had no use for this Pope from the start. He should never have been given the position. Just makes more people glad they are not catholic. I've never been a catholic but until this man was made Pope, I always had respect for that position in the catholic church. Not now.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Have had no use for this Pope from the start. He should never have been given the position. Just makes more people glad they are not catholic. I've never been a catholic but until this man was made Pope, I always had respect for that position in the catholic church. Not now.

One of the responsibilities of any leader -CEO, prime minister, pope- is to enhance the image of the organization (s)he heads. That image is the one held both within and outside that institution. If the leader's decisions detract from that image, (s)he has failed.

Benny the Sixteen's decision to embrace a breakaway nut-bar group and incorporate them back into the fold, gives credence to nut bars such as holocaust deniers who see this act as a quiet endorsement of their beliefs, much to the dismay of the clinical observer.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
My apologies to all catholics - what I say is not meant to offend. "Benny" embraces the nut-bar group because he identifies with them. Instead of being a progressive leader of the church he is regressive. He could even be the destruction of the catholic church.