Timber! Looters brave freezing waves to clean up as tide of planks washes ashore

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The English Channel is the world's busiest shipping lane, so goods and wreckage from sunken ships washing up along Britain's south coast is not an uncommon occurrence.

Now scavengers are heading to the beaches of Kent to collect timber that has washed up after a Russian cargo ship got into trouble.

1,500 Imperial tons of timber fell into the sea 14 miles off the East Sussex coast.

The scenes around Broadstairs, Kent had echoes of the large-scale looting when the MSC Napoli ran into trouble off Branscombe, Dorset, in January 2007.

Timber! Looters brave freezing waves to clean up as tide of planks washes ashore

By Dan Newling
23rd January 2009
Daily Mail

It is hardly the glistening gold and silver booty of a sunken pirate ship.

Nonetheless, scavengers flocked to Kent's beaches to collect some of the tens of thousands of planks of wood that washed ashore from a Russian cargo ship.

Despite having issued warnings about not picking up the timber, police failed to prevent locals from illegally taking the wood for themselves.

Enlarge
People brave freezing waves to remove timber from the beach in Ramsgate, Kent

Enlarge
The Sinegorsk ship which shed its 1,500-tonne load during rough seas in a major shipping lane, 14 miles off Newhaven, East Sussex

Instead, officers looked on as looters at Ramsgate and Broadstairs helped themselves to as many of the planks as they could carry - and bundled them in waiting vans.

The scenes around Broadstairs had echoes of the large-scale looting when the MSC Napoli ran into trouble off Branscombe, Dorset, in January 2007.

Then, thousands of locals streamed on to the sand to take anything they could lay their hands on - from disposable nappies to motorbikes.

The Russian-registered Sinegorsk ran into rough weather on Monday and shed 1,500 tons of its sawn timber load 14 miles off Newhaven, East Sussex.

Enlarge
Piles of wooden planks washed up on a beach near Margate in Kent

Enlarge
... Not that people are listening to the police warnings, as seen by this cheeky loader

The cargo eventually came ashore in the early hours of yesterday.

Under maritime law it is illegal to try to keep the cargo from the Receiver of Wreck - the official whose job it is to return booty to the ship's owners. Offenders can be fined up to £2,500.

Chief Superintendent John Molloy said: 'I would like to remind people that the shoreline can be a dangerous place, particularly with the current poor weather and people could be putting themselves at unnecessary risk by venturing into the sea to salvage the timber.

This cargo remains the property of the owner and to steal it is not only foolhardy, but also a criminal offence.

'Where appropriate, we will also take action against those who create a nuisance, park dangerously or trespass.

'We are not trying to ruin people's fun but the winter coastline is not a place to take risks.'

Helping themselves: Another vehicle is loaded up at Broadstairs

Enlarge
Tons of wood stretches along the coastline

dailymail.co.uk

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This is not looting. It is called beachcombing and is legal, at least in Canada. Unless the government places a closure on the area and the owners are making an effort to recover the lumber. In theory the owners must pay the salvors for recovering their lumber. With the low value of lumber I doubt they will make any serious effort to recover much. Given the weather in about three days none of it will be worth anything and then who is liable to clean up the mess?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I would imagine that Britain has beachcombing laws just as we do in Canada.

I think things in BC have to be unclaimed for a certain period of time before it is considered to be open for beachcombing.

Not sure how it applies to commodities. I only know about logs. As soon as a log or a bundle slips out of a boom it is available. There are some rules about resale depending on where you are. Generally if a boom breaks up a closure is placed on the area and the owners hire log salvagers in the area to collect them. This is in inside waters. Once you get North of Pt. Hardy it is wide open(like the water) until close to Pr. Rupert. Some of the rules have changed in the past couple of years since I quit so not positive on all of them. Some how the logging companies always claimed the good logs were theirs but not the pulp, so they were not responsible for cleaning up the mess. Nice to have it both ways.
Lumber on the beach is only good for a few tides and then it is garbage.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Wow, it's like the 3rd world except the scavengers (a.k.a. garbage pickers) have cars!

Was the lumber headed for Canada?

I remember once when we had a forest industry.