First Armed Forces Day will be marked by up to 200 separate events across the country

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Armed Forces Day is a new national day in Britain that will be celebrated every year on 27th June.

It is a chance for the British people to show their gratitude to the Armed Forces.

Events already planned range from huge military parades in cities to flag raising ceremonies and fetes in towns and villages.

Armed Forces day to be celebrated with hundreds of events around country

By Sean Rayment, Defence Correspondent
17 Jan 2009
The Telegraph

Britain's first Armed Forces Day will be marked by up to 200 separate events across the country.

The Sunday Telegraph's campaign was launched in March last year Photo: GETTY

The idea for a special day to commemorate the military was taken up by Quentin Davies MP Photo: TONY BUCKINGHAM

Events already planned range from huge military parades in cities to flag raising ceremonies and fetes in towns and villages.

The government said Armed Forces Day, which is being held on Saturday 27th June, was a chance for the whole country to show its gratitude for the men and women who have served and are still serving in the military.

This summer's event was launched after a high-profile campaign by The Sunday Telegraph which was backed by Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, the head of the armed forces, the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, many retired defence chiefs and service charities, and thousands of readers.

The Ministry of Defence said that the theme of the first Armed Forces Day will be "Honouring Britain's Armed Forces: Past Present and Future".

Six major cities throughout the United Kingdom have spent the last few months submitting bids to the government in the hope that they will be chosen to host the main ceremonies, with the winner being announced on Thursday.

The host city will hold a parade in which troops, cadets and veterans will march through the town centre accompanied by a military band.

Following a "drum head service" (an open air church service in which drums are used as an altar), a reception will be held in the local civic centre hosted by the mayor and attended by senior military figures and government ministers.

The Blades Aerobatic display team will also be appearing. It is hoped that a member of the royal family will also attend.

Veterans Minister Kevan Jones, who is responsible for ensuring that the first Armed Forces Day is a national success, said the event would provide a way for the country to say "thank you".

He said: "Being a member of the armed forces is being part of something that is a force for good in society and the creation of an Armed Forces Day helps to reinforce that message.

"I have been to Afghanistan and Iraq many times and the quality of our young people never ceases to amaze me. They are very young and carry huge responsibility and we should be rightly proud of them.

"In the build up to the event we are hoping that towns and communities to come to us with their ideas, we want them to tell us how they want to celebrate and we have some funding to help them.

"This is the first year so this is something that we will build on every year.

"We recognise the success of The Sunday Telegraph campaign and now we would like your readers to go one step further and encourage their local councils to take part, if they are members of service charities they should be asking what they will do on the day. I would like schools to get involved as well.

"The government is fully committed to ensuring that the day is a success and something that we can build on.

"There is no community too small not to put on some type of event on in recognition of the armed forces. The message is simple – it's thank you."

The Sunday Telegraph's campaign was launched in March last year after members of an RAF base in Peterborough were verbally abuse and threatened for wearing their uniforms in public.

An ICM opinion poll conducted for the paper revealed that almost 80 per cent of the population supported the call for an Armed Forces Day. A further 90 per cent supported the idea that troops should be encouraged to wear uniforms in public.

Following the success of the campaign, the idea for a special day to commemorate the military was taken up by Quentin Davies MP, the head of the National Recognition Study team, a body created to raise the public awareness of the role of the armed forces.

telegraph.co.uk

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I used to enjoy watching the CBC drama Quentin Durgens MP. Franky. until now, I've never heard of Quentin Davies MP.

PS

How about a victims-of-British-imperialism day?! Would be celebrated world wide!

PPS
Sounds like a balm to British guilt over sending youth on crazy foreign wars. Anyone remember Tony Blair?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
"I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poison gas against uncivilised tribes."
-Winston Churchill

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Winston was a hero of the realm, a learned statesman, an upstanding figure of the era and a selfdeclared homicidal mainiac. We honour the ideals expressed and exemplified by such as him as we continue to murder and torch the unclean parts of the world that have not embraced our sence of fairplay and justice for all. Pass the salt please.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Winston was a hero of the realm, a learned statesman, an upstanding figure of the era and a selfdeclared homicidal mainiac. We honour the ideals expressed and exemplified by such as him as we continue to murder and torch the unclean parts of the world that have not embraced our sence of fairplay and justice for all. Pass the salt please.
"we" as in the Al Quaeda & USA, Canada & Taliban, Hamas & Israelis, etc. (people in general)? I agree, humans are a bloodthirsty and hypocritical bunch.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
"It is alarming and also nauseating to see Mr. Gandhi, a seditious middle temple lawyer, now posing as a fakir of a type well known in the east, striding half-naked up the steps of the viceregal palace, while he is still organizing and conducting a defiant campaign of civil disobedience, to parley on equal terms with the representative of the king-emperor."
- Winston Churchill, 1930

Ah Sir Winston, eloquent even at his most nauseating!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

"It is alarming and also nauseating to see Mr. Gandhi, a seditious middle temple lawyer, now posing as a fakir of a type well known in the east, striding half-naked up the steps of the viceregal palace, while he is still organizing and conducting a defiant campaign of civil disobedience, to parley on equal terms with the representative of the king-emperor."

- Winston Churchill, 1930

Ah Sir Winston, eloquent even at his most nauseating!
What do you expect from a cigar-smoking, boozing, foul-mouthed old, fat guy? Best be a non-smoking, tea-totalling pleasant fellow like Adolph or Allah-fearing character like SSaddam Hussein Abd al-Majid al-Tikriti?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't admire Churchill much as a polititian, but I will say that I still admire a few things about him, especially with regards to his literary and oratory skills. It's just a shame that he sometimes used his eloquent command of the English language to such low ends. And even when we do agree with his words, they often stopped at words but seldom translated into action. But again, he could teach us athing or two about how to use our language to effect.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I don't admire Churchill much as a polititian, but I will say that I still admire a few things about him, especially with regards to his literary and oratory skills. It's just a shame that he sometimes used his eloquent command of the English language to such low ends. And even when we do agree with his words, they often stopped at words but seldom translated into action. But again, he could teach us athing or two about how to use our language to effect.

I agree!
And for those anglophiles who like to marvel at Britain's wars, click here.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
"we" as in the Al Quaeda & USA, Canada & Taliban, Hamas & Israelis, etc. (people in general)? I agree, humans are a bloodthirsty and hypocritical bunch.

First of all let's separate the real players from the amateurs, Al Quaeda, the Taliban and Hamas have no airforce or navy nor regular army. Two of them are the subject of brutal occupation by imperial forces at this moment the othe Al-Quaeda does not in fact exist. The we I was referring to is we the good guys who have a track record of murder and destruction which dwarfs those bedraggled rebels. Humans are bloodthirsty and hypocritical in a direct ratio with opportunity and means.;-)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Why does it have to be such a militaristic holiday? Why not a more peaceful alternative like:

International Friendship Week (last full week in February):

It even has free e-cards to go with it: Free International Friendship Week Ecards, International Friendship Week Greeting Cards, International Friendship Week Greetings, Cards, ecards, egreetings

If the armed forces wanted to get involved, they could try to arrange for pen-friend relationships between children in the countries in which they're operating and British children. It would be a chance for the armed forces to still get their name in the media while at the same time trying to establish lasting international friendships between children. This would also force the military to work more closely with UNICEF, UNESCO and other agencies to develop local education. Of course language could be a barrier, but it could still work. For example, Persian or Pashta-speaking children in the UK (I'm sure there must be at least a few) could get involved in making penfriends with Afghan children, or young Arabic-speaking Britons with Iraqi children. This would also show how valuable children of minority ethnic groups are in building lasting relationships between the UK and abroad, thus helping to improve ethnic relations within the UK at the same time. It could also help children become more aware of the importance of language in international communication. This increase in language awareness would likely also promote a more multilingual UK, and thus a more multilingual military capable of solving problems abroad not only through the barrel of a gun but also through the medium of speech.

World Religion Day (the 3rd Sunday of January): Homepage

It could be a chance for the general public to learn more about world religions so as to break down the barriers of religious prejudice that lead to hate. It could also be a chance for the armed forces to learn more about the religions they might encounter when on mission abroad.

UN Day, International Women's Day, International Teachers' Day, etc. Plenty of holidays exist already tht don't have to glorify militarism.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I love it!

You guys piling on!

First onto the military of a great democratic western nation: wityhout our military we would all be screaming Heil Hitler or in a Gulag.......and if you don't have enough sense of history, or just plain sense, to understand that, understand this: In a democracy the military is simply the tool of the collective....making fun of the military is making fun of yourself, as they are the people that have volunteered to execute your will.

Then you go on against Winston Churchill!!! A truely Great Man.....flawed, as are all human beings, but no person on this forum has one tenth the intellect, the oratorical ability, the foresight, nor the courage of Churchill. A lion, hissed about by alley cats.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I love it!

You guys piling on!

First onto the military of a great democratic western nation: wityhout our military we would all be screaming Heil Hitler or in a Gulag.......and if you don't have enough sense of history, or just plain sense, to understand that, understand this: In a democracy the military is simply the tool of the collective....making fun of the military is making fun of yourself, as they are the people that have volunteered to execute your will.

Then you go on against Winston Churchill!!! A truely Great Man.....flawed, as are all human beings, but no person on this forum has one tenth the intellect, the oratorical ability, the foresight, nor the courage of Churchill. A lion, hissed about by alley cats.

Ahhh, Big Brother is watching for ideas or opinions with which he disagrees. Doubleplus ungood, what! Just whose jackboots are we hearing?

Disagree, but don't be patronizingly disagreeable!