New Labour Agreement

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
This should be good news for everyone in every province. (I hope)
OTTAWA - Provincial premiers are hailing a new labour-mobility deal as a historic step that will grease the wheels of the Canadian economy amid the downturn.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the premiers signed an internal-trade agreement on Friday that will enable workers accredited in one province or territory to work in another without having to be recertified.

"We have taken the stand that as of April 1, 2009, a journalist will be a journalist, a nurse will be a nurse, a plumber will be a plumber, and credentials will be recognized by each other across the country," said Manitoba Premier Gary Doer.

Employees in various professions have long complained of having to go through a long recertification process before they can ply their trade in another province.

Under the deal, the provinces have also agreed to a new dispute-resolution mechanism that will allow penalties of up to $5 million on jurisdictions that throw up domestic trade barriers.

The deal was announced as Harper and the country's premiers continued to discuss ways to cushion Canadians against the recession.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It's interesting because not all provinces have the same requirements. I know BC and Ontario require nurses to have a bachelor's degree. Will they now be able to register with just a diploma? Quebec requires applicants to pass a french language exam. Is that unecessary now?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It's interesting because not all provinces have the same requirements. I know BC and Ontario require nurses to have a bachelor's degree. Will they now be able to register with just a diploma? Quebec requires applicants to pass a french language exam. Is that unecessary now?
I don't think they mentioned Quebec did they? They did say something about a fine though for those that don't comply. I would have to read it again. I don't know about nurses and I noticed they didn't mention doctors but they didn't mention lots of careers. Maybe the nurses will be hired on at a lower rate of pay with the ability to upgrade or something like that. I'm sure there will be some wrinkles to iron out.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Incredible. The EU traces its history no further back than the 1950's and they've already begun to establish common educational standards. Canada has been around for nearly 200 years as a nation and still doesn't have common educational standards.