Do-not-call list made situation 'worse,' says group

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Well isn't this great... Now my phone number is available to every nut job ... :angryfire:

After its launch last September, Canadians added more than 2.7 million phone numbers to the national do-not-call list.

But now, with nearly 6 million numbers registered, many Canadians who signed up are feeling duped because they're receiving more telemarketing calls than ever before.

That's because the do-not-call list may have gotten into the wrong hands.
To access the list, a telemarketer simply has to go to the National Do Not Call List website, enter the appropriate information and pay a small fee.

The problem is, anyone can pose as a telemarketer and obtain the list. If they're willing to break the rules, they could then call the numbers, which are all recent.

And if that list makes its way to a telemarketer outside Canada, the CRTC does not have the jurisdiction to stop them from calling Canadian numbers.

CTV.ca | Do-not-call list made situation 'worse,' says group

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Yeah... you definitely DON"T want to put your name on the do-not-call list UNLESS you are being absolutely inundated with telemarketers. Remember: putting your name on said list, is still putting your information out there. All it takes is one nut, or disgruntled employee.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:angry3: Good lawd. Nothing work ?

Fortunately, we've been able to deal with the teleees on an individual basis, so our number ain't on the list.

Only one has been a tad persistant, but I was able to locate their "supervisor" yesterday, and "explained my point of view". We were promised no more calls.

Never a dull moment.

Whatever.8O

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Great! abso-effing-lutely great! No friggin' wonder I'm still getting calls from 1-234-567-8910 telling my how I can reduce the interest on my credid card balance, especially when I don't carry a balance. Or that I've won a cruise in a contest I didn't enter.:angryfire:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Same here,plus one really annoying one claiming that my vehicle warranty has expired.I NEVER OWNED A CAR!

That's one of the ones which remain.......Press 3 to be taken off the call list. I pressed 3 till my finger broke, and I"m still on it.

Could it be they are not taking me seriously??:-?hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well I still get the same calls as before, but I never added my name to the list because I was pretty sure it wouldn't work..... and it doesn't, go figure.

And the fact that you can sign up to the web site as a telemarketer and pay 50 bucks or something to get access to everybody's phone numbers....... um..... isn't that technically illegal and shouldn't everybody at that do-not call company get their asses sued royally?

Afterall, they gave false advertisement by saying it would remove your phone number from these telemarketers and reduce the amount of calls you get, only to sell them back to the telemarketers so they can send you more......

I'd be sueing..... but I didn't put my number up there, sooooo....... it's up to someone else.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well isn't this great... Now my phone number is available to every nut job ... :angryfire:

CTV.ca | Do-not-call list made situation 'worse,' says group
Sir Fran: I don't know if you saw the post on the other forum or not (made by me) where I told people about the site and gave the address and also stated that I felt it was useless because: it did not exclude charities from calling. Most of the calls are from charities and I don't want their calls. I did not register. Obviously they have ways around the calling process. We had a complaint to make to BellVu and we found out that it's an impossible process so when our contract is up - we will just say good-bye forever to them. We wanted to speak to a manager. They said we could not. We insisted. Finally they stated a manager would call us. The next day the phone rang. I looked at the call display and it showed the call coming from California. Normally - I am a "Pick up and hang up" person. In other words, I tip the receiver enough to stop the ringing. For some reason I answered. The person said "You wanted me to call" not even stating who they were! When I finally got to the root of who this person was and realized it was a Bell rep, I asked why she was calling me from California. She said she was not. She was not too smart and I believe she really did not know that her call was being routed through California. I also get calls from Nebraska. I don't know what they are because I "tip the receiver" on all of them.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
people use telemarketing because it works. You wanna stop telemarketers? Make it illegal to buy things or agree to be sent informational/order packages by phone.

Once the retards to who do buy things from telemarketers stop, so to do the telemarketers.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is anyone else getting twice daily calls from 234-567-8900? The first call daily
ends up on my voicemail. The second comes in the evening between 5pm & 10pm.
It's a machine dialer, female voice recording of "Rachel" telling me that it's my final
notice to reduce the rate on my credit cards....

After 50-60 calls so far, in the last week I've tried to talk to one of these people and
get off their call list, and they hang up on me and call back the next day. If I ask for a
supervisor, I get put on hold, and then get hung up on. This has happened Sunday to
last night, and each time I dial *57 after the call to log it on my phone bill.

Last night I Googled "234-567-8900" and there are 809 pages of people complaining
about these calls, wondering who's placing them, and wondering how to get them to
stop calling. After reading through several pages (glass 1/2 full & silver lining), I guess
I'm glad that I'm only getting these calls twice/day. Some folks are getting 7-9 calls from
this number daily. Also sounds like 000-000-0000 is the same group of telemarketers.
The accent if you get someone on the phone (before they hang up on you) is usually
South-Eastern American, but occasionally South-Western American or East Indian.
These Don't seem to be Canadians calling Canadians, so the Do-Not-Call list wouldn't
do any good in this case.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Now who but a bureaucrat thought this would never happen. Makes no real difference anyway because an auto dialer can be programed to just do a sequential calling and at least some of them will be real numbers. My solution is to wait until the recording is over and get a real person on the line. As soon as I hear a real voice I give them a blast with an air horn.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Now who but a bureaucrat thought this would never happen. Makes no real difference anyway because an auto dialer can be programed to just do a sequential calling and at least some of them will be real numbers. My solution is to wait until the recording is over and get a real person on the line. As soon as I hear a real voice I give them a blast with an air horn.

Nice! I never thought of that. I was going to contact Sasktel security and thus the
reason I was *57'ing after each call, but your idea does have merit. I wonder if
Princess Auto sells these air horns, as I look forward to any excuse to go and
kill an hour there.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I hardly ever answer the phone. Which is funny because I can remember a time I was hard pressed to remove it from the side of my head!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Taxslave - are you getting the same call as Ron is? I get that call several times a week 213-537-1095 (California) and 517-931-2215 (Michigan) all with the same message he gets. If my hubby isn't sleeping, I ignore the calls and if he is, I "tip" the phone so it quits ringing. He often grabs it when he's up and listens just far enough to know it is something regarding interest. I have continued to listen (quite sometime ago) and no one ever came on line. I don't have an air horn but there must be something equally effective. Oddly enough - they never call my fax line.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Islandpacific: I don't know where they come from. Don't have call display on that line. We are not usually in the house during the day so get a lot of dropped calls on the answering machine. If they left a cal back number I would call and blast the first human that came on line. Most automotive stores and all marine stores carry these horns. They just screw on to a small air cylinder. Usually you have to press 1 to connect to a human. If they appear to be hard of hearing I got them first.