more on the nazi cake and kids names

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Did anyone think they heard the last of Adolf Hilter Campell?

TBO.com - News From AP

NJ kids with Nazi-inspired names removed from home

AP Photo/Rich Schultz

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Advertisement[/FONT]​

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm all for freedom of expression but why saddle kids with a name that is sure to draw attention to them, if the parents like the name so much they should change their own name instead. Once he' turned down from a 100 or so jobs the thrill will have worn off.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Since kids can't choose their own names, there should be some guidelines. I remember a few years ago a couple named Lear named their kid Crystal Shanda. I guess you don't have to be Nazi to be stupid. Unfortunately for these kids, they weren't removed from the home because of their names so that means the parents have done worse. Fortunately, the kids may now be able to see what normal is.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Many moons ago I worked with a drummer who named his son Justine Thyme Smith. Oh... it was some fun doing drugs with that guy. :p

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well you should all remember when I posted the article about how they couldn't get a birthday cake with lil' Hitler's name on it...... I found out about this from my gf last night, and doesn't really suprise me at all that authorities took them away.

Not that I'm saying it's right for the kids to be taken away, but It's also not right to use your children for statement purposes like some prop.

If you want to make a statement against something currently socially not accepted, do it with your own name or own self... don't use your kids for your own games..... they never asked for it.

However, I am not sure there has been anything wrong done to the children that warrents them to be taken away, other then being white supremacist and naming their children stupid names.

If being a part of a cult or organization that many don't like is enough of a warrent to have your children taken away from you based on other people's morals and the children are not technically being harmed, then that's getting close to the line as I see it. And if it's because they named them Hitler or Aryan Nation or whatever...... why not go after some of those dumbass celebrities who named their kids like Apple?

Then again, raising children in an environment that for the most part includes education that teaches them that there are differences between races to the point of authority over another, then that's not healtier either.

I guess I'll have to stay on the side lines over this one, cuz there's pros and cons in both sides.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
However, I am not sure there has been anything wrong done to the children that warrents them to be taken away, other then being white supremacist and naming their children stupid names.

"A spokeswoman for the state Division of Youth and Family Services, Kate Bernyk, said she would not comment on any specific case, but she said the state would not remove children from a home simply because of their names."

There is obviously more to the story than just the kids names or the fact that the parents are Nazi pukes....but that is what makes it newsworthy.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Since kids can't choose their own names, there should be some guidelines. I remember a few years ago a couple named Lear named their kid Crystal Shanda. I guess you don't have to be Nazi to be stupid. Unfortunately for these kids, they weren't removed from the home because of their names so that means the parents have done worse. Fortunately, the kids may now be able to see what normal is.

I actually dated a girl when I was a teen named "April May". Her parents were flower child rejects

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I actually dated a girl when I was a teen named "April May". Her parents were flower child rejects

I think the parents of a girl in my primary class were those as well.... her name was Patience.

When I have a child, I'm naming it after the african tribe *click-clook-clack-click-clickclick-clock-click*

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The parents must be sick to give the kids those names. But it appeared as if due process was not properly exercised when they were removed from their parents. A court case is sure to follow.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Exactly. State officials need to be more careful in this regard as they may face liability if they have not taken the proper administrative steps before taking this action.

Whatever the outcome, I am concerned for the children and hope they will not be endangered by this type of thinking or non-thinking on the part of the parents.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Speaking as someone who sends babies home to bad families fairly often, the state will not take away a child for a stupid name. You can test positive for drugs when you come in to give birth and still keep your baby out here. Too few foster families and too many bad parents....

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Speaking as someone who sends babies home to bad families fairly often, the state will not take away a child for a stupid name. You can test positive for drugs when you come in to give birth and still keep your baby out here. Too few foster families and too many bad parents....

What a wonderful state of affairs, eh Tracy?8O

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The names of any children I somehow end up with will change based upon their behaviour,

"Well Susy, you missed curfew and you're 14, looks like im changing your name to Rover, see how popular you are then...and You, billy..break one more window and im changing your name to Princess..see how much fun recess with the boys is then"

Surprisingly, few people nominate me as a godparent.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
its all fine and good that the authorities stepped in....but why didnt they step in when the kids were named in the 1st place....why did it get passed the birth certificate stage?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
its all fine and good that the authorities stepped in....but why didnt they step in when the kids were named in the 1st place....why did it get passed the birth certificate stage?

Because you can name your child anything you want. They didn't get taken away for their parents because of their strange names.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Yeah... I actually had a social worker tell me they can't force people to be good parents, they just have to not be abusive or horribly neglectful.

Well not to be totally heartless (And don't take too much into this) but parenting is a bit subjective, based on religion, background, herritage, living conditions, etc. and what one person might considered bad parenting, it goes both ways in the fact that you or someone else might be doing something they may consider as bad parenting.

Abusive/Neglectful is a given for all situations, I'm just focusing on the term "Bad Parenting" or "Good Parents" as it was put.