Jewish group claims protests violated Canadian laws

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

CTV.ca | Jewish group claims protests violated Canadian laws

TORONTO -- Canada's largest Jewish advocacy group will ask police to investigate whether hate laws were broken during recent rallies held in cities across Canada to condemn Israel's attacks on Gaza - an allegation roundly dismissed Tuesday by the group's Arab counterpart.

The Canadian Jewish Congress and the Canadian Arab Federation exchanged their latest barbs as the cauldron of emotion in the Middle East, set to boiling by Israel's invasion of the Gaza Strip, continued to spill over international borders.

The congress has video and images from "pro-Hamas" protests in Toronto, Montreal and Calgary that were "uncivil, un-Canadian, that demonize Jews and Israelis," and might have violated Canadian laws, CEO Bernie Farber said in an interview.

"Some of the rhetoric and chants that we have heard are everything from calls to murder, to comparison of Jews and Israelis to Nazis, to calls to genocide," he said.

Sorry, none of that is a hate crime as far as I see it..... perhaps the "Murder" claim might be an issue if anybody actually attempted to promote others to kill people based on their religious views.

The Jewish advocacy group, which intends to hold a news conference Wednesday to release the material, said it plans to ask both local police and the RCMP to investigate whether any crimes might have been committed.

Mohamed Boudjenane, executive director of the Canadian Arab Federation, dismissed the tactic as an attempt to divert attention from the horrors of Gaza - horrors perpetrated, he said, by the Israeli military.

"We had 10,000 people (protest)," Boudjenane said.

"How can you control every single person there and not have someone who will scream some weird stuff or someone who could have a flag of Hamas or whatever? But the purpose of the march has nothing to do with that."

Thousands of people have demonstrated in cities across Canada against the attacks on Gaza that have killed hundreds of people. There have also been several similar rallies across the country expressing support of the Israeli action.

The Israeli government says the invasion was in retaliation for Hamas rocket attacks on Israel from the Palestinian territory.

The congress said it would release a list of those who co-sponsored the anti-Israel protests, among them the Ontario wing of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, the Canadian Peace Alliance and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

Boudjenane pointed out that numerous Jews have also rallied against the Israeli attacks, naming some prominent ones such as author Naomi Klein and political and social activist Judy Rebick.

They aren't anti-Jew, he said, but were only there to protest the "massacre" happening in Gaza.

Boudjenane also accused pro-Israeli counter-demonstrators of taunting the pro-Palestinian side with such epithets as "murderer" and "terrorist."

Tit for tat if you ask me.... how can pro-Israelis get away with the same actions, and yet those who are against them have to be punished with hate crimes? :roll:

Farber said if the temperature isn't brought down, the rallies could lead to real violence in Canada or attacks on Jewish institutions, as has happened in some places in Europe.

"We are firm supporters and believers in the need to be able to passionately demonstrate in free and democratic societies," Farber said.

"But most us as Canadians also abhor the vilifying and demonizing and promoting some of the most hateful images that one can really imagine in terms of such demonstrations."

Freedom of speech.... if the shoe fits, wear it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
"uncivil, un-Canadian, that demonize Jews and Israelis,"

But it is acceptable for Jews or Israelis two separate entities to demonize any nation or individual who is criticle of the genocidal IDF and the psycopathic supporters of genocide, and those who call the clearly apartied state the racist disgrace of the human race and who do it in my Canadian national media day after day year after year with the aid and approval of Canadas quizzling perversion of parliamentry democracy and the enabling upper class. Not a day passes without the servile cowardly compliance of newscasters who serve the lies to us through our media, they someday will face charges same as the Rhawandans who insighted genocide. When you sell your morals and ethics for money you are in fact the lowest of *****.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Rule No 1: you are NOT permitted to criticize Israel.
Then, we'll have to revise these rules:

The 1960 Canadian Bill of Rights guaranteed, quote

1. " human rights and fundamental freedoms, namely,

(c) freedom of religion; (d) freedom of speech; (e) freedom of assembly and association; and (f) freedom of the press.

In 1982, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guaranteed, quote:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

a) freedom of conscience and religion;

b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
"How can you control every single person there and not have someone who will scream some weird stuff or someone who could have a flag of Hamas or whatever? But the purpose of the march has nothing to do with that."

Well, I know that if I was protesting something and some ****er tossed up the Nazi Swastika thinking they could tie their crap in with mine would get the boots laid to them, rolled up in their pig**** drape and stuffed into the nearest dumpster.

But then I don't support that and then pretend it wasn't me later on.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Well, I know that if I was protesting something and some ****er tossed up the Nazi Swastika thinking they could tie their crap in with mine would get the boots laid to them, rolled up in their pig**** drape and stuffed into the nearest dumpster.

But then I don't support that and then pretend it wasn't me later on.

Anybody who fails to see the similarity between the Nazi and the Israeli needs glasses and a hearing aid and reading classes.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The issue boils down to one side of protesters saying "Kill the Jews and Israelis for what they are doing" (which is , even without hate crime laws, inciting to murder, a criminal offence)

and the other side calling people "Murderers and Terrorists" (which is slander, a civil offense)

There are lines you can't cross. You could call somene "Evil" You couldn't say "They should be killed for being Evil".

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The issue boils down to one side of protesters saying "Kill the Jews and Israelis for what they are doing" (which is , even without hate crime laws, inciting to murder, a criminal offence)

and the other side calling people "Murderers and Terrorists" (which is slander, a civil offense)

There are lines you can't cross. You could call somene "Evil" You couldn't say "They should be killed for being Evil".

Agreed, as I see it, you can call someone evil, a tyrant, relate them to nazis, or compare them to drunken beavers..... to me, they're all personal observations based on factual or emotional reasoning which is subjective...... but when you demand or try to promote the harm or death of a paticular group, then you're crossing the line.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Umm, if they have on video, calls to genocide as Prax's article asserts, that is pretty plainly a hate crime. It would be pretty hard to actually nail down who did it, and to charge them, but if you read the Criminal Code of Canada:

318. (1) Every one who advocates or promotes genocide is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

Definition of “genocide”
(2) In this section, "genocide" means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy in whole or in part any identifiable group, namely,

(a) killing members of the group; or
(b) deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

What lines Zzarchov, the precedent has been long since set by the IDF, there are no lines, it's how war migrates accross borders, it travels at the speed of information.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
It's not hard to pin down the White Phospherous though or the tanks or the 1000 dead Palestinians or the real and immeadiate genocide in Gaza. So any comparison between the Israelis and the Nazis has it's basis in observable reality. So while we may advance the issue of alleged hate crimes before the courts we may also observe that it does nothing to address the real hate already being lethally applied to a civilian population.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

CTV.ca | Jewish group claims protests violated Canadian laws

Sorry, none of that is a hate crime as far as I see it..... perhaps the "Murder" claim might be an issue if anybody actually attempted to promote others to kill people based on their religious views.

Tit for tat if you ask me.... how can pro-Israelis get away with the same actions, and yet those who are against them have to be punished with hate crimes? :roll:

Freedom of speech.... if the shoe fits, wear it.

Yeah, BS from the Jewish lobby. This stuff pisses me off..........freedom of speech means freedom for everyone to speak, not just those that agree with you.

On a more serious note, I read in the Globe and Mail today that the Israeli Knesset are trying to ban two Arab Israeli political parties from the upcoming election. They each now have 3 seats, so 6 Arab MPs would be effectively bounced......now, that IS outrageous behaviour by the Israeli gov't......fortunately, the matter is before the Israeli Supreme Court (which often decides in favour of Arab citizens), and I trust they will strike down any regulation banning Arab political parties.

Yeah, it really is me, and yeah, I still strongly support Israel..... :)

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
</p>
I think that you'd have to be seriously moronic to think that, in the context of a public political protest, the above constitutes 'inciting to murder'.I believe that both Hamas and Israel are, in fact, guilty of murder, so I don't think there's any incitment needed anyway.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
</p>
I think that you'd have to be seriously moronic to think that, in the context of a public political protest, the above constitutes 'inciting to murder'.I believe that both Hamas and Israel are, in fact, guilty of murder, so I don't think there's any incitment needed anyway.

When you say "Kill all the Jews" that is inciting to murder. That is encouraging hate crime attacks in Canada on Canadian citizens (jewish or not).

Whatever is going on in Gaza is not subject to Canadian law, and its irrelevant.

I can protest the Arab genocide (An actual one) against Africans in Darfur (a case of Arab Colonialism whiping out the native inhabitants).

That doesnt' mean I can walk around telling people to "Kill all the Arabs" and not be inciting murder and convicting a hate crime. It really doesn't matter what Arabs are doing to African's in Darfour, some poor Canadian of Arab ancestry doesn't deserve to be beaten to death by angry Canadians of African descent on her way home with her groceries.

Welcome to Canada, leave your baggage at the door.