Obama will seek to close Guantanamo swiftly: advisers

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Obama will seek to close Guantanamo swiftly: advisers

U.S. president-elect Barack Obama is preparing to issue an executive order his first week in office — and perhaps his first day — to close the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, according to two presidential transition team advisers.

It's unlikely the detention facility at the navy base in Cuba will be closed anytime soon. In an interview last weekend, Obama said it would be "a challenge" to close it even within the first 100 days of his administration.

But the order, which one adviser said could be issued as early as Jan. 20 — the day Obama is to be sworn into office — would start the process of deciding what to do with the estimated 250 people being held at Guantanamo. Most are accused of links to al-Qaeda or the Taliban; the majority has not been charged with a crime.

The Guantanamo directive would be one of a series of executive orders Obama is planning to issue shortly after he takes office, according to the two advisers. Also expected is an executive order about certain interrogation methods, but details were not immediately available Monday.

The advisers spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the orders that have not yet been finalized.

Obama transition team spokeswoman Brooke Anderson declined comment Monday.

The two advisers said the executive order will direct the new administration to look at each of the cases of the Guantanamo detainees to see whether they can be released or if they should still be held — and if so, where.

We'll have to see.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

This is good, especially the expected ban on interogation methods like water-boarding.......

as for the last 250, send them back to the countries they were arrested in......and send the Canadian back to Canada, where Khadr will get a hero's welcome from the Moron Brigade.....but that is unavoidable. Personally, I'd like to see his whole damn family tried for treason, but.......oh well.

I do find it a little silly to try a kid for murder when he throws a grenade at you.....just after you dropped a 1,000 Kg bomb on him.....:roll: Sounds like a fair fight to me.....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is good, especially the expected ban on interogation methods like water-boarding.......

as for the last 250, send them back to the countries they were arrested in......and send the Canadian back to Canada, where Khadr will get a hero's welcome from the Moron Brigade.....but that is unavoidable. Personally, I'd like to see his whole damn family tried for treason, but.......oh well.

I do find it a little silly to try a kid for murder when he throws a grenade at you.....just after you dropped a 1,000 Kg bomb on him.....:roll: Sounds like a fair fight to me.....

Hell yes. You should be able invade a country and kill a few hundred thousand people without some dopey kid throwing a grenade at you. There ought to be a law against any resistance to an invading army. Takes the fun right out of it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I can't wait until you guys get Omar back. I am sure he will enjoy his ticker tape parade.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

I ain't giving him any hero's welcome.... I want him charged fairly and legally to get to the truth.

And punishing or making someone suffer for his or her parent's actions/decisions, is pretty petty if you ask me.

It still hasen't even been proven he threw the grenade, since the original reports claimed there was another person alive at the time of the grenade toss.... but I've already gone down this road before.

It is pretty stupid to send troops into a village or house to shoot and bomb everybody to death, and then when they decide to defend themselves and shoot back..... Oh no.... that's a criminal act.... a terrorist act.... geezzz. :roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I ain't giving him any hero's welcome.... I want him charged fairly and legally to get to the truth.

Well we had this debate before, we both posted things pro and con about him. There were pictures of him deep in this fight. You can believe them or not. I doubt he will be tried if he returns to Canada. He's just going to say "I didn't do it." and there will be plenty of Canadians that will agree with him I am sure.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
"Sorry Omar. Six years in Gitmo? That's gotta be worth double or triple or quadruple
time for anything you're found guilty of. You're going to sue the Canadian Government
for not extraditing you back to Canada sooner? We'll just settle that out'a court with a
non-disclosure clause. Would you like your settlement in cash, gold, or IED's?"

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Well we had this debate before, we both posted things pro and con about him. There were pictures of him deep in this fight.

Yes we have talked about this plenty..... but no, there were no pictures I have seen with him deep in the fight or any fight for that matter. All I seen were photos of him sitting around with a few AK's kicking around in the background. The other photos of him out in the dark and the one's where everybody is using their assumptions on what's all in the backgrounds, etc. are and have been debatable.

and it really doesn't matter..... there are no videos or photos of him throwing the grenade that killed the medic, and even if there were, and even if he was fighting for the evil-doers, he's still a child soldier in that case, and thus, still doesn't diserve being kept in Cuba for so long, under those conditions.

It's so simple it hurts. You can try and paint him as evil and heartless as you want, and you can try and throw as much emotion on baseless information until the cows come home.... it does not change any of the above facts.

You can believe them or not.

There isn't enough information in any of them to be considered relevant to the situation.

I doubt he will be tried if he returns to Canada. He's just going to say "I didn't do it." and there will be plenty of Canadians that will agree with him I am sure.

Oh yeah.... cuz we're that sympathetic to allow tha to occur...... yes.... it's either gotta be torturing him out in the middle of a desert and treat him like a wild animal..... or set him free and act like nothing ever happened.

You can not be that dense.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes we have talked about this plenty..... but no, there were no pictures I have seen with him deep in the fight or any fight for that matter. All I seen were photos of him sitting around with a few AK's kicking around in the background. The other photos of him out in the dark and the one's where everybody is using their assumptions on what's all in the backgrounds, etc. are and have been debatable.

What is he doing with AK's around? My 15 year old has never been around them? The pictures in the dark were taken by them of them laying landmines. You can take their word for it or not.

and it really doesn't matter..... there are no videos or photos of him throwing the grenade that killed the medic, and even if there were, and even if he was fighting for the evil-doers, he's still a child soldier in that case, and thus, still doesn't diserve being kept in Cuba for so long, under those conditions.

There aren't many pictures of a lot of people really fighting. You aren't always going to have a camera man filming every combat action.

It's so simple it hurts. You can try and paint him as evil and heartless as you want, and you can try and throw as much emotion on baseless information until the cows come home.... it does not change any of the above facts.

I don't really care at this point. I am happy to see Canada get him back. Enjoy!

Oh yeah.... cuz we're that sympathetic to allow tha to occur...... yes.... it's either gotta be torturing him out in the middle of a desert and treat him like a wild animal..... or set him free and act like nothing ever happened.

I bet, if he goes back to Canada he will eventually be set free and they will act as nothing happened. Then Dancing Loon can have her true love home since he is her hero and lovable munchkin.

What do you think will happen to him?

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
What is he doing with AK's around? My 15 year old has never been around them? The pictures in the dark were taken by them of them laying landmines. You can take their word for it or not.

There aren't many pictures of a lot of people really fighting. You aren't always going to have a camera man filming every combat action.

I don't really care at this point. I am happy to see Canada get him back. Enjoy!

I bet, if he goes back to Canada he will eventually be set free and they will act as nothing happened. Then Dancing Loon can have her true love home since he is her hero and lovable munchkin.

What I hope happens to his @ss is that he stays in prison for a very very long time. Let us not forget that he was fighting alongside the Taliban. Our troops (Canada's) are also facing casualties daily at the hands of the Taliban terrorists. He was fighting alongside our enemy, I say put him in jail and throw away the key.

Reactions: EagleSmack

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

The only words I have heard were from the mouth's of US officials hearsaying what they apparently said or claimed while under questionable detainment.

And what is he doing with AK's around? Are you serious? They were apparently taken while in Afghanistan, and since everybody and their goat has one over there, it's not all that suprising a couple would be sitting in the background somewhere.

It's no different then having your shotguns and hunting rifles displayed over the fireplace...... and it's pretty comical that you'd try and bring up AK's in a home as something bad, when you live in a nation where everybody has the right to own firearms and many of you have plenty of them.

But somehow that makes him a terrorist?

was he holding them? No.... in a court, they can only assume they could be anybody's. And I'm sure as hell that he wasn't the man of the house at the age of 14, so they're not his, nor would he have any controll over what occured in that home.

I get it..... Americans are allowed to have all of the guns because they made it their right.... but as soon as someone else has one, they got to be terrorists. :roll:

But once again, none of that matters, because if there was any remote level of evidence in any of that proving he was the person who threw the grenade, then there'd be a point in debating those photos again.

They don't, they have nothing to do with the charges of murdering the medic, and just being the son of a "Terrorist" doesn't make you guilty of killing the medic with a grenade.

And even if he was willingly a part of the organization and carried out attacks, there is no evidence of any of those attacks that he can be connected to, and besides...... none of it still proves that he threw the grenade.

And I ain't going over this again, because it's pointless, circumstancial crap that is a lame attempt to reflect away from the main fact that he has had his human rights abused by those in the US and shouldn't have been put in there in the first place.

Ah, so what's the point of going on about these photos in the first place?

And so we're just going to have to assume he's guilty or shall we let the soldiers who were there tell us what happened, all the while we never hear his side of things publically?

Oh yeah, that's right, they edited their reports in a 180 degree turn from what they originally reported, which appear as though they were edited to suit exactly what he is going through right now...... reasonable doubt..... case closed, set him free.

Either way, no matter how you look at this situation, there isn't enough evidence one way or another to justify your country's actions on trying to make an example out of him...... and it was a piss poor choice to make an example out of too.... a 14 year old boy.

Frig, if a 14 year old boy in the US walked into a school and started shooting everyone and survived the police's assault to take him out, he'd probably still only get a couple of months in kiddie jail and back out on the streets..... yet because this kid was in a war zone and may or may not have killed a soldier amongst other soldiers shooting at him..... he deserves to be held in that hell hole for 7 years and have everything including the kitchen sink thrown at him?

That's pretty screwed up.

I will.... it'll be yet another failed Bush policy, even though it won't be a decent compensation for the suffering he has had to go through.

That will depend based on factual evidence, and if there isn't enough, then he will be set free, the government will probably give him a bunch of money in compensation for not getting off their asses sooner to correct the situation, and just like Arar, he'll get BS explinations from US authorities talking about how they'll look into what happened, etc. etc....

Then he'll probably write a book which will lead into a movie and make even more money.

Gotta love Capitalism.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
What I hope happens to his @ss is that he stays in prison for a very very long time. Let us not forget that he was fighting alongside the Taliban. Our troops (Canada's) are also facing casualties daily at the hands of the Taliban terrorists. He was fighting alongside our enemy, I say put him in jail and throw away the key.

And yet you have no clue if he was fighting with them or not... but because the US says he was, it must be true. :roll:

Yes, cuz the US hasn't been wrong before about something.

He went to Afghanistan with his father, who was in the organization. Do you seriously want me to believe that he had much of a choice in the matter? A 14 year old Canadian boy with an Islamic Extremist for a father...... yeah, I'm sure he stomped his foot down and told his dad no, he won't do it and to go suck it.

He would have been probably honor killed.

And being a youth at the time..... as if I need to even repeat this again, he is considered as a child soldier, which means certain procedures should be taken for his situation.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Hell yes. You should be able invade a country and kill a few hundred thousand people without some dopey kid throwing a grenade at you. There ought to be a law against any resistance to an invading army. Takes the fun right out of it.

certainly cuts into the luch hour and puts a damper on the whole morning

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
We could send a ticket with a layover in Virgina for another 5-6 yrs of waterboarding....

Nope...we've had him long enough...time to send your hero home.

I wonder if he enjoyed his stay in Cuba as much as other Canadians do!