Obama to reverse some of Bush's executive orders

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama could reverse some of President Bush's most controversial executive orders, including restrictions on embryonic stem cell research, shortly after taking office in January.
President-elect Barack Obama may overturn many of the executive orders that President Bush implemented.

Two other executive orders from Bush -- one dealing with a so-called "gag" order on international aid organizations regarding abortion, the other with oil and gas drilling on federal lands -- also are receiving increased scrutiny.
Obama's transition team is reviewing hundreds of Bush's executive orders, according to John Podesta, Obama's transition co-chair.
New presidents often use executive orders to put their stamp on Washington quickly. Unlike laws, which require months to complete and the consent of Congress, presidents can use their executive authority to order federal agencies to implement current policies.
"Much of what a president does, he really has to do with the Congress -- for example, budgeting, legislation on policy -- but executive actions are ones where the president can act alone," said Martha Kumar of the White House Transition Project, a nonpartisan group established to help new presidential administrations

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama could reverse some of President Bush's most controversial executive orders, including restrictions on embryonic stem cell research, shortly after taking office in January.
President-elect Barack Obama may overturn many of the executive orders that President Bush implemented.

Two other executive orders from Bush -- one dealing with a so-called "gag" order on international aid organizations regarding abortion, the other with oil and gas drilling on federal lands -- also are receiving increased scrutiny.
Obama's transition team is reviewing hundreds of Bush's executive orders, according to John Podesta, Obama's transition co-chair.
New presidents often use executive orders to put their stamp on Washington quickly. Unlike laws, which require months to complete and the consent of Congress, presidents can use their executive authority to order federal agencies to implement current policies.
"Much of what a president does, he really has to do with the Congress -- for example, budgeting, legislation on policy -- but executive actions are ones where the president can act alone," said Martha Kumar of the White House Transition Project, a nonpartisan group established to help new presidential administrations

I`ve a feeling Obama holds the strings to either keep America in one piece or, if he bows to his critics, fall apart completely.

Not that I gives a ****.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Tyr, I think it is normal for an incoming president to reverse the executive orders of the previous president, especially if the president belongs to a different party.

Clinton reversed many of Bush’s executive orders (the most prominent being the one about the ‘Mexico policy’), same with the current Bush, he reversed several of Clinton’s orders (again, the most prominent being the one about the Mexico Policy).

So Obama reversing some of Bush’s orders is par for the course, there is nothing unusual about it.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Tyr, I think it is normal for an incoming president to reverse the executive orders of the previous president, especially if the president belongs to a different party.

Clinton reversed many of Bush’s executive orders (the most prominent being the one about the ‘Mexico policy’), same with the current Bush, he reversed several of Clinton’s orders (again, the most prominent being the one about the Mexico Policy).

So Obama reversing some of Bush’s orders is par for the course, there is nothing unusual about it.

The orders he's contemplating removing are at the heart of the RNC agenda which makes them somewhat contentious