Afghan foetus 'aborted by razor'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Afghan foetus 'aborted by razor'

The family of a 14-year-old Afghan rape victim face prosecution after her foetus was removed without anaesthetic.

The mother and brother of the girl are accused of cutting her open with a razor blade to perform an abortion.

Doctors say the girl is in a critical condition. A man accused of raping her is under arrest, officials say.

Rape victims and their families in Afghanistan often feel ashamed to report what has happened because people may think the victim consented to sex.

Sex outside marriage is illegal in Afghanistan.

'Dog bite'

The governor of Bamiyan Province, Habiba Sarabi, says that action is being taken.

When the girl was five months pregnant it is alleged her mother and brother took her to a stables and cut her open with a razor blade.

They removed the foetus, which they buried, before stitching up her wound, Governor Sarabi said.

The father eventually took the girl to get medical treatment.

Dr Ghulam Mohammad Nader, head of Bamiyan hospital, said the girl is in a critical condition, but that she had been able to explain what had happened to her.

"The girl stayed at home for three or four days in her condition until her father took her to hospital," Dr Nader said.

"He said a dog had bitten her so that people in the area wouldn't know what had really happened."

The provincial governor says the man accused of raping the girl has been arrested and that police are trying to arrest her mother and brother.

The victims of rape and their families in Afghanistan are often afraid to admit what has happened to them because of the stigma and shame attached to the issue.

Sometimes the victims are murdered by their own families.

Critics accuse the authorities of not taking accusations of rape seriously, especially those made by children.
But President Karzai recently called for rapists to be brought to justice and the Afghan Supreme Court suspended three judges who acquitted people accused of rape.

I'll let this flow for an open debate before I shed my 2 cents.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We really needed this story Praxius......:roll:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Ok, let me get the ball rolling then:

It has been mentioned in the past in abortion topics about women who want (or forced) to get rid of a fetus will do so, by any means they (or those forcing them) feel are nessicary. When there isn't the availability of an abortion clinic and a professional doctor to make these happen, we get situations such as this.

Now on the flip side of this story, we have Afghanistan (Where this situation occured) where women are still not fully treated to the equality they deserve and apparently her family took it apon themselves to remove this fetus (With or without the daughter's permission, that is currently unknown) It is also a place where rape/sexual assault isn't talked about or accepted all that much (As described above in the article)

When we are all here in this country (and the US whom are reading this) and we are always debating the rights and wrongs of abortion based on our own society and religious beliefs...... how or what would you propose be dones for situations like this over there to avoid the massacre of young women?

Put yourself in the situation that you currently live in Afghanistan, surrounded by a culture totally different from your own. You still hold true to your own beliefs and values, so how would you go about introducing your own methods and ideas to protect young women and perhaps prevent these sorts of situations as best as possible?

What laws would you put in place?

What sort of programs or clinics would you introduce?

Education?

Don't forget, this is a different culture then Canada or the US and should be something that can be easily intergrated into their own society in a way that might actually work and be accepted.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ok, let me get the ball rolling then:

It has been mentioned in the past in abortion topics about women who want (or forced) to get rid of a fetus will do so, by any means they (or those forcing them) feel are nessicary. When there isn't the availability of an abortion clinic and a professional doctor to make these happen, we get situations such as this.

Is lack of availability the issue here? Or cultural refusal to access the clinics available to them?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
What's even sadder is that no matter what happens to the girl, she's basically screwed. (no pun intended)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
you think afghanistan is a bad place because rape isn't accepted?

perhaps you want to re-word that one

Hermanntrude, looks like a reasonable comment to me. Perhaps he should have said Afghanistan is a bad place because rape victim isn’t accepted (rather than rape isn’t accepted), but other than that, I fully agree with the sentiment.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
First of all I would eliminate the religion that gives rise to this kind of mentality and this kind of attitude.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
First of all I would eliminate the religion that gives rise to this kind of mentality and this kind of attitude.

That's a bit of a broad statement, since just about all the major religions out there do this.

Yes, I know you were refering to Islam in Afghanistan, but in a sense, they're no more different the many Christian groups in North America and around the world. (Depending on what part of Rape and Abortion we're focusing on)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Due to war, possible demographic changes involving age of available males and male to female ratios might help in changing things.....maybe.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Due to war, possible demographic changes involving age of available males and male to female ratios might help in changing things.....maybe.

I'm not sure I completely follow.... are you implying the ratio is more male then female or more female then male due to the war? And what effect do you believe this has apon this situation?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I'm not sure I completely follow.... are you implying the ratio is more male then female or more female then male due to the war? And what effect do you believe this has apon this situation?

I'm not implying anything with respect to present numbers. However, generally, during times of war, the number of males tends to decline. With a decline in the number of males, women are able to fill roles and do things in the community that are generally reserved for men. In ideal situations, this could possibly lead to social change as has happened in other societies, in the past. No guarantees as Islam is SO patriarchal and man friendly. Their culture also allows the old gizzard, village chiefs to marry many young chicks. Ultimately, more liberal males and women have to push for change and feminize the new generation of men.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I'm not implying anything with respect to present numbers. However, generally, during times of war, the number of males tends to decline. With a decline in the number of males, women are able to fill roles and do things in the community that are generally reserved for men. In ideal situations, this could possibly lead to social change as has happened in other societies, in the past. No guarantees as Islam is SO patriarchal and man friendly. Their culture also allows the old gizzard, village chiefs to marry many young chicks. Ultimately, more liberal males and women have to push for change and feminize the new generation of men.

Makes sense.

I guess as I see it for Afghanistan, it'll be a slow process, which has to start at the bottom of the foundation, which is education/schooling.

With proper education at a young age, it can be curbbed from the society.

As you said about other societies, during the great wars, women stepped up to the plate and took over many of the jobs men did, esspecially in factory work for the military. It was still a long process for women to get where they are today, but it does go to show it can be done.

And even here in Canada there are still some of the older generation who still have their stigmas of women or other races or sexual orientation..... it's something that tends to be etched into your mind at a young age, based on education and your surrounding community's ways.

It's a slow process that has to evolve through generations it would seem, and can not be fixed in one day.