Fighting in Hockey

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Will the death of the OHA Whitby Dunlops' Don Sanderson lead to the banning of fighting in hockey? Click here for the Whitby Dunlops web page.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Will the death of the OHA Whitby Dunlops' Don Sanderson lead to the banning of fighting in hockey? Click here for the Whitby Dunlops web page.

Yeah, it would sure be nice to see hockey games won by sheer hockey skills, skating, passing, shooting, but to be realistic I doubt if it's going to happen unless the penalties are made severe. I'd like to see at least a one game suspension for instigating a fight but I guess it's that kind of mentality that sells tickets and these days money is the bottom line- no such thing as sportsmanship anymore.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It shouldn't, but I suspect it will create that debate.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Fighting is what killed the NHL on USA television. Heck, even senior bowling got higher ratings than the Stanley Cup Championship.

In my years of watching NHL (which, thankfully, I don't do anymore) I've seen a player get killed, another have his eye gouged out, several rendered unconscious by sticks or by fists, two stabbed in the face or forehead by skates, several riots, and many deliberately caused injuries!

If you want to call that 'sport', help yourself. I call it pathetic as do most Yanks nowadays.

Meantime, when Olympic ice hockey comes along, I'll gladly watch as you would be hard pressed to find a sport that involves more skill and athleticism. That's what I like!!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Fighting is what killed the NHL on USA television. Heck, even senior bowling got higher ratings than the Stanley Cup Championship.

In my years of watching NHL (which, thankfully, I don't do anymore) I've seen a player get killed, another have his eye gouged out, several rendered unconscious by sticks or by fists, two stabbed in the face or forehead by skates, several riots, and many deliberately caused injuries!

If you want to call that 'sport', help yourself. I call it pathetic as do most Yanks nowadays.

Meantime, when Olympic ice hockey comes along, I'll gladly watch as you would be hard pressed to find a sport that involves more skill and athleticism. That's what I like!!

What player was killed, Gopher? I can't recall any NHL players who have died in-game in recent memory.

Who do you think fills the US & Canadian olympic teams, Gopher? NHL players... go back to commenting on basbeall, ignorant yank.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You just ain't whistling Dixie there, Gopher, the fighting is just getting too ridiculous, but I can't see it stopping any time soon. Been trying to think who it was that got killed, but that escapes me now. There's probably been several, but most of them take a few years and probably goes down on the death certificate as "dementia".

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Fighting is such a small part of the NHL these days, yet we have people in this thread bemoaning the loss of skills in the game etc, give your heads a shake. Compare the number of fights in the 70's & 80's compared to now, it is significantly lower. hell, lots of teams don't even employ "goons" anymore.

Hockey is a tough game, there will be fights, there will be injuries and you have about a 1 in 50 million chance of dying from it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Fighting is such a small part of the NHL these days, yet we have people in this thread bemoaning the loss of skills in the game etc, give your heads a shake. Compare the number of fights in the 70's & 80's compared to now, it is significantly lower. hell, lots of teams don't even employ "goons" anymore.

Hockey is a tough game, there will be fights, there will be injuries and you have about a 1 in 50 million chance of dying from it.

Well, I'd go along with one in 5000 dying from it THAT DAY, but much higher like maybe one in fifty of reducing the life span.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well, I'd go along with one in 5000 dying from it THAT DAY, but much higher like maybe one in fifty of reducing the life span.

1 in 5000? Give me a break.

according to: USATODAY.com - NHL fisticuffs bring out fury
"In the 2003-04 season, there were about 780 fights in 1,230 NHL games"

Going by those numbers, an NHL player would die about every 7 years due to fighting. The last goons I recall croaking at an early age was John Kordic, and that was due to him being a crack head.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
''What player was killed, Gopher? I can't recall any NHL players who have died in-game in recent memory.
Who do you think fills the US & Canadian olympic teams, Gopher? NHL players... go back to commenting on basbeall, ignorant yank.''

You obviously aren't old enough to remember the late Bill Masterson.

I may be ignorant as to the current NHL game. But I knew the game in the 60s and 70s VERY well.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
''What player was killed, Gopher? I can't recall any NHL players who have died in-game in recent memory.
Who do you think fills the US & Canadian olympic teams, Gopher? NHL players... go back to commenting on basbeall, ignorant yank.''

You obviously aren't old enough to remember the late Bill Masterson.

I may be ignorant as to the current NHL game. But I knew the game in the 60s and 70s VERY well.

Yeah, that was over 30 years ago.

You like Lacrosse, correct Gopher? Does the fighting in lacrosse bother you?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Also, his death had nothing to do with fighting, he was crushed with a hit, smashing his head off the ice.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
**it happens. A couple years ago a guy was hit in the chest with a puck and died of a heart attack.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
You just ain't whistling Dixie there, Gopher, the fighting is just getting too ridiculous, but I can't see it stopping any time soon.

Any league that wants to remain financially solvent must have a good TV contract. The only network showing NHL games today in the USA is Versus and this is a small network.

Unlike the 60s and 70s, NHL hockey is no longer considered newsworthy. Names such as Bobby Orr, Brad Park, Rod Gilbert, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe that were household names back in the day, do not have any matching hockey celebrities today. Those stars of the past couldn't walk the streets of NYC without being stopped by autograph hounds. Today, hockey players walk the streets and nobody recognizes them.

A couple of years ago Marion Gaborik of the Minnesota Wild made a public appearance in my neighborhood. Guess what -- nobody showed up. One reason being that we of the inner city resent the fact that the politicians put so much of our tax monies into pro hockey while removing funding away from our youth hockey programs. St Paul, MN used to be called 'Hockey Town, USA'. Today youth hockey is dead. This afternoon, I passed by Ken Yackel arena where I spent so many joyous hours watching youth and high school hockey. Today it is unused. What a great shame that is. And it's all because the stupid pols (and may they each go to hell for doing so) killed our youth programs in order to benefit the pros and wealthy plutocrats who pull their puppet strings.

No offense to those of you who love pro hockey. But the pols and their greed, along with certain f*ckheads from the NHL killed local amateur hockey. Nothing can quell my anger, nor that of other locals, over that.