Prince Dog-Beater: Outrage as Edward repeatedly lashes out at dogs with a 4ft stick

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince Edward, the youngest child of the Queen, has been condemned after he lashed out at his dogs with a large stick at the Sandringham Royal Estate in Norfolk on Boxing Day.

It is traditional for the British Royal Family to take their Christmas break at Sandringham, and Prince Edward was engaged in a spot of pheasant shooting when he lost his temper and repeatedly lashed at his gundogs.

Prince Dog-Beater: Outrage as Edward repeatedly lashes out at gundogs with a 4ft stick

By Miles Goslett
27th December 2008
Daily Mail

Prince Edward has been accused of animal cruelty after losing his temper and lashing out violently and repeatedly at his gundogs with a wooden stick.

The 44-year-old Prince reacted angrily when he saw two black labradors trying to grab hold of the same dead pheasant during a shoot at the Sandringham Royal Estate in Norfolk yesterday.

He approached the dogs with his shotgun tucked under his arm and a 4ft stick raised menacingly in the air. He then brought it down sharply several times towards them.

One of the dogs ran off and was seen cowering as Edward chased after it and took another swing at it.

Prince Edward with his gundogs on a pheasant shoot on the Sandringham Estate, Norfolk

Last night Andrew Tyler, director of pressure group Animal Aid, said: ‘Hitting out at a dog makes them fearful, traumatised and breaks any bond of trust. It’s not only morally dubious but it’s counterproductive.

'If Prince Edward made contact with either dog, it is a breach of the Animal Welfare Act, which makes it an offence to cause unnecessary suffering to an animal.’

One onlooker said: ‘It looked as if he took about three swipes at this dog with his stick.

‘It happened when Edward was shooting by himself in a field, with Peter Phillips about 200 yards away.

The Prince takes a vicious swipe at his dog

‘At the end of the drive, the dogs went off to pick up the dead birds, but these two dogs looked like they were squabbling over one pheasant.

‘They clearly were not doing what they were supposed to do so Edward took it upon himself to impose some discipline. It was quite a big stick and it would have hurt the dog if it had been hit with any force.’

Barry Hugill, from the League Against Cruel Sports, said: ‘I would not be at all surprised about Prince Edward mistreating a dog. This is a young man who has been brought up to regard it as his right to slaughter and mistreat animals for pleasure.’

Edward outraged animal rights campaigners in December 2005 when he battered to death an injured pigeon which had been shot during a pheasant shoot at Sandringham.

Edward brandishes his wooden stick menacingly, before bringing it down with violent force

Mr Tyler added: ‘It’s about time the Royals got the message that most people regard the shooting of birds for sport as repellent.

‘The public will certainly be no more tolerant of dogs being picked on because they don’t play their obedient walk-on part in this sick spectacle.

‘He certainly appears to have lost his temper and was acting impulsively without restraint.

But we can’t expect high manners in the context of a sport that is about killing animals for pleasure.’

It is not the first time the Royal Family has been accused of animal cruelty. Last year Prince Philip was part of a shoot in which a fox was clubbed to death with a flagpole, and Prince Harry was questioned by police over the illegal shooting of two hen harriers, Britain’s rarest birds of prey.

One of the labradors slinks away, with Edward in pursuit

Eight years ago the Queen was also accused of cruelty after she was photographed wringing the neck of a pheasant at Sandringham.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said last night: ‘I can confirm there were two dogs fighting over a pheasant. Prince Edward did separate them but no harm was done to either dog.’

Other Royals on yesterday’s shoot included Prince William, Prince Andrew, Prince Philip and Princess Anne’s husband Tim Laurence.

Autumn Phillips, the Canadian wife of the Queen’s grandson Peter Phillips, was also there, taking part in her first Christmas shoot with her new relatives.

However, the 30-year-old, who married in May, ventured out without the proper ear defenders, and was forced to protect her hearing from the deafening gunshots by clasping her hands to her ears.

Losing his temper: Edward strides after one of the labradors, who were fighting over the same pheasant

dailymail.co.uk

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Prince Edward, the youngest child of the Queen, has been condemned after he lashed out at his dogs with a large stick at the Sandringham Royal Estate in Norfolk on Boxing Day.

It is traditional for the British Royal Family to take their Christmas break at Sandringham, and Prince Edward was engaged in a spot of pheasant shooting when he lost his temper and repeatedly lashed at his gundogs.

Prince Dog-Beater: Outrage as Edward repeatedly lashes out at gundogs with a 4ft stick

By Miles Goslett
27th December 2008
Daily Mail

Prince Edward has been accused of animal cruelty after losing his temper and lashing out violently and repeatedly at his gundogs with a wooden stick.

The 44-year-old Prince reacted angrily when he saw two black labradors trying to grab hold of the same dead pheasant during a shoot at the Sandringham Royal Estate in Norfolk yesterday.

He approached the dogs with his shotgun tucked under his arm and a 4ft stick raised menacingly in the air. He then brought it down sharply several times towards them.

One of the dogs ran off and was seen cowering as Edward chased after it and took another swing at it.

Prince Edward with his gundogs on a pheasant shoot on the Sandringham Estate, Norfolk

Last night Andrew Tyler, director of pressure group Animal Aid, said: ‘Hitting out at a dog makes them fearful, traumatised and breaks any bond of trust. It’s not only morally dubious but it’s counterproductive.

'If Prince Edward made contact with either dog, it is a breach of the Animal Welfare Act, which makes it an offence to cause unnecessary suffering to an animal.’

One onlooker said: ‘It looked as if he took about three swipes at this dog with his stick.

‘It happened when Edward was shooting by himself in a field, with Peter Phillips about 200 yards away.

The Prince takes a vicious swipe at his dog

‘At the end of the drive, the dogs went off to pick up the dead birds, but these two dogs looked like they were squabbling over one pheasant.

‘They clearly were not doing what they were supposed to do so Edward took it upon himself to impose some discipline. It was quite a big stick and it would have hurt the dog if it had been hit with any force.’

Barry Hugill, from the League Against Cruel Sports, said: ‘I would not be at all surprised about Prince Edward mistreating a dog. This is a young man who has been brought up to regard it as his right to slaughter and mistreat animals for pleasure.’

Edward outraged animal rights campaigners in December 2005 when he battered to death an injured pigeon which had been shot during a pheasant shoot at Sandringham.

Edward brandishes his wooden stick menacingly, before bringing it down with violent force

Mr Tyler added: ‘It’s about time the Royals got the message that most people regard the shooting of birds for sport as repellent.

‘The public will certainly be no more tolerant of dogs being picked on because they don’t play their obedient walk-on part in this sick spectacle.

‘He certainly appears to have lost his temper and was acting impulsively without restraint.

But we can’t expect high manners in the context of a sport that is about killing animals for pleasure.’

It is not the first time the Royal Family has been accused of animal cruelty. Last year Prince Philip was part of a shoot in which a fox was clubbed to death with a flagpole, and Prince Harry was questioned by police over the illegal shooting of two hen harriers, Britain’s rarest birds of prey.

One of the labradors slinks away, with Edward in pursuit

Eight years ago the Queen was also accused of cruelty after she was photographed wringing the neck of a pheasant at Sandringham.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said last night: ‘I can confirm there were two dogs fighting over a pheasant. Prince Edward did separate them but no harm was done to either dog.’

Other Royals on yesterday’s shoot included Prince William, Prince Andrew, Prince Philip and Princess Anne’s husband Tim Laurence.

Autumn Phillips, the Canadian wife of the Queen’s grandson Peter Phillips, was also there, taking part in her first Christmas shoot with her new relatives.

However, the 30-year-old, who married in May, ventured out without the proper ear defenders, and was forced to protect her hearing from the deafening gunshots by clasping her hands to her ears.

Losing his temper: Edward strides after one of the labradors, who were fighting over the same pheasant

dailymail.co.uk

Never mind the dogs look what he did to the birds.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Bird lover!
PS
These photos may be a reciepe for "prince under glass."

IT doesn't say anywhere that the prince made physical contact with the dogs, so until we know that he did, this isn't even a news event...........not to downplay the fact that MOST of the Royal Family can be real ***holes. NOT THE QUEEN.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The dogs were supposed to be retrievers. They weren't supposed to fight over the bird the Prince shot for dinner. They deserved to get a smack on the as s to teach them in my opinion. If the dog doesn't learn, what is the alternative? That the Royal family occasionally hunt Pheasants should be no surprise to anyone.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
IT doesn't say anywhere that the prince made physical contact with the dogs, so until we know that he did, this isn't even a news event...........not to downplay the fact that MOST of the Royal Family can be real ***holes. NOT THE QUEEN.

:laughing3:

Incidentally, my dog received several swipes in the arse for humping my blanket last night. The royal off spring aren't the only ill mannered pains in the ass.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Pifft more use of the word evil please. If I don't get enough influence on how I should feel about this I am left impotent emotionally over the story.

Fear is a tool in attempting to assume control. It works with dogs to an extent. That Ed chooses to use it is hardly news worthy. There are better ways to train dogs and get them to do what you want, without a four foot stick. There are worse as well. There are better people who are worse with their animals and I dare say children as well. And of course there are worse as well.

That this is considered some how news worthy is more of a story about the reader's nose ring than a Prince, a Pole and a Pooch.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:angry3:Get a grip!!

One of the dogs ran off and was seen cowering as Edward chased after it and took another swing at it.Quote:

He didn't HIT the dog.

Labs are supposed to honour the retrieve of another lab, not fight over the bird. He did the right thing.

Of course the labs are probably as inbred and stupid as these rich, spoiled, big-eared, buck-toothed idiots, hence his proclivity to swing at a dog, and not even be able to judge the distance in order to make contact.

Who gives a s h it !!!

Wish I could afford the shotgun and the dogs he uses........not the retarded ones, (dogs), the other ones.

:lol:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Right you are - good, I was worried there for a moment: if we were being too rational we might have to stop wars and what not. So beating dogs: bad; bombing children: good (provided we're killing them and not some tyrannical hooligan).

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
:laughing3:

Incidentally, my dog received several swipes in the arse for humping my blanket last night. The royal off spring aren't the only ill mannered pains in the ass.

Ewwwwwwwwwwww

Now there's a mental image that I hope doesn't hang around for long

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
:angry3:Get a grip!!

One of the dogs ran off and was seen cowering as Edward chased after it and took another swing at it.Quote:

He didn't HIT the dog.

Labs are supposed to honour the retrieve of another lab, not fight over the bird. He did the right thing.

Of course the labs are probably as inbred and stupid as these rich, spoiled, big-eared, buck-toothed idiots, hence his proclivity to swing at a dog, and not even be able to judge the distance in order to make contact.

Who gives a s h it !!!

Wish I could afford the shotgun and the dogs he uses........not the retarded ones, (dogs), the other ones.

:lol:

I guess there weren't any handy peasants nearby to accept the lash for the royal dog