'Abusive' coalition raids stoking anger in Afghanistan: report

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
'Abusive' coalition raids stoking anger in Afghanistan: report

The Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission has issued a scathing report on the use of air strikes and nighttime raids by international forces in the country.

The report, which was released in Kabul on Tuesday, suggests that NATO is undermining its own mission by stoking resentment in the local population.

Air strikes and nighttime searches of civilian homes are the two main causes of resentment and anger among the local population, according to the 55-page report.

"Afghan families experienced their family members killed or injured, their houses or other property destroyed, or homes invaded at night without any perceived justification or legal authorization," the report says.

"They often did not know who perpetrated the acts against the family or why.… To their knowledge and perception, those who perpetrated the acts were never punished, nor prevented from repeating them."

The report characterizes incursions into homes as violent break-ins that reportedly include "abusive behaviour" and cultural insensitivity, particularly toward women.

The document acknowledges that it is difficult to verify the truthfulness of individual reports of home incursions but the number of reported instances suggests the night raids occur regularly.

'No accountability' for raids: report

The report suggests international forces often rely on unreliable sources or faulty intelligence when launching the incursions into homes, and there is little public accountability for the raids, which also appears to increase local anger.

There is a lack of co-ordination between coalition forces, foreign soldiers and local authorities, the report says.

"Ordinary people believe that there is no accountability or justice in respect of these violations, regardless of who [has] committed [them]. The overall picture is that … continuing support for Afghan government and international military has been eroded as … consequences of the not carefully planned night raids," the report says.

Canadian military officials at Kandahar Airfield and NATO officials in Kabul were not immediately available to comment.

Monthly tracking information from the United Nations' human rights unit shows air strikes have been responsible for 25 per cent of all civilian deaths in Afghanistan this year. Coalition forces caused the majority of those civilian casualties.

The report said that the lack of recognition of the victims, apology or compensation has also caused anger and resentment in the local community.

"Ignoring the damage to civilians and lack of transparent and public investigations have contributed to the picture that the international forces are not interested and concerned about their activities causing damage to ordinary people," the document states.

The commission, which is funded by the countries involved in the NATO mission in Afghanistan, made a deal with Canada last year to monitor the condition of all detainees seized by the Canadian military and handed over to Afghan officials.

To compile the report, investigators from the commission spent three weeks gathering 74 testimonies from witnesses, military personnel, local authorities and government officials. The commission also analyzed information from its regular reporting and incident monitoring, and scoured media reports and investigations by other human rights organizations.

And yet, I still bet nothing will change and all of this will just continue.

I don't know how you expect to win over the people of Afghanistan when you end up being as much of a threat as the Taliban.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Maybe civilians in Afghanistan should wear a uniform to identify themselves apart from the cowardly Taliban.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
remember a while back a Canadian soldier was smacked in the back of the head with an axe by a 15 or 16 yr old Afgan? You know why that happened?......it was because the Canadian soldiers had just trashed his parents place....winning the hearts and minds of the Afgan people, eh.
If it'd been my parents place that they had trashed, I'd have killed the prick, or died trying!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
remember a while back a Canadian soldier was smacked in the back of the head with an axe by a 15 or 16 yr old Afgan? You know why that happened?......it was because the Canadian soldiers had just trashed his parents place....winning the hearts and minds of the Afgan people, eh.
If it'd been my parents place that they had trashed, I'd have killed the prick, or died trying!!!

Yeah and I'm sure Canadians have been shot by fifteen year old Afghanis. Every week we seem to get a couple more of our soldiers blown up by these as s hol es. We have to remember this a U.S. oil war. There is no honour to be won except to get home alive.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah and I'm sure Canadians have been shot by fifteen year old Afghanis. Every week we seem to get a couple more of our soldiers blown up by these as s hol es. We have to remember this a U.S. oil war. There is no honour to be won except to get home alive.

Yeah... Afghanistan is just SWIMMING in Oil.

The Oil War card has been played over and over and has fallen flat each and every time.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So why do you think we're there Smack?

Do we have to go over this again?

I'll simplify it... I will say because of 9/11...you will say 9/11 was an inside job and was planned by Bush... then we will go back and forth with a HUUUUUUUGE 9/11 conspiracy thread.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I'll simplify it... I will say because of 9/11...you will say 9/11 was an inside job and was planned by Bush... then we will go back and forth with a HUUUUUUUGE 9/11 conspiracy thread.

Oh. And the piprline really has nothing to do with it....What a relief...:roll:

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia

those arse holes as you call them are only protecting the homes and land from the arse hole invaders........ still no reason to trash their homes....empty draws out etc looking for whatever, but smashing up the furniture........why are we there? because we're too gutless to tell the yanks to fight their own war...afterall, they are our biggest trading partner and for that we must bow and scrape to them :angryfire:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Oh and that pipeline is pumping SO MUCH oil now. It isn't even built yet for crying out loud and is just another faux reason for folks to yell...

OIL WAR!!!!

I am sure the US will benefit so much from it if it is even built. :roll:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I wasn't going to say anything about the Zionist/Mossad terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. I don't understand why you're still obcessed with 911. But since you insist on bringing it up, it's got to be the limpest excuse for military agression there's ever been. How many Afghans were in on the attack and how is murdering Afghans by the thousands doing anything to find and punish the perpatrators?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I wasn't going to say anything about the Zionist/Mossad terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. I don't understand why you're still obcessed with 911. But since you insist on bringing it up, it's got to be the limpest excuse for military agression there's ever been. How many Afghans were in on the attack and how is murdering Afghans by the thousands doing anything to find and punish the perpatrators?

darkbeaver,

Wasn't there a recent posting about the Pentagon hiring ex-military personnel to haunt blogs and discussion groups to spread disinformation and ridicule conspiracies?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

The pipeline had alot to do with it. Actual geopolitics had more to do with it. Americans being the aggressors that they feel is their god given right, looked at the map, saw the "evil" Iran and decided that the only way to contain them was to encircle them with puppet gov't's (Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan).

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

How many Afghans were in on the attack and how is murdering Afghans by the thousands doing anything to find and punish the perpatrators?

Good point. Even better point. How many Saudi citizens were involved? How many Pakistani citizens? Why haven't the US invaded Saudi Arabia or Pakistan if there premise is to "go after the "terrorists"

Because they would get their "butts" handed to them. They have a penchant for attacks such heavy weights as Grenada and Panama

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The pipeline had alot to do with it. Actual geopolitics had more to do with it. Americans being the aggressors that they feel is their god given right, looked at the map, saw the "evil" Iran and decided that the only way to contain them was to encircle them with puppet gov't's (Afghanistan, Iraq and Pakistan).

What pipeline? There isn't even a pipeline in Afghanistan! They aren't even building one!

Oh right...we really NEEDED to invade a wasteland to get at Iran.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
How many Afghans were in on the attack and how is murdering Afghans by the thousands doing anything to find and punish the perpatrators?

Good point. Even better point. How many Saudi citizens were involved? How many Pakistani citizens? Why haven't the US invaded Saudi Arabia or Pakistan if there premise is to "go after the "terrorists"

Because they would get their "butts" handed to them. They have a penchant for attacks such heavy weights as Grenada and Panama

Well if Afghanistan hadn't allowed Al Queda a free haven to train and conduct their operations from they wouldn't be in that position.

Invading Saudi Arabia is a silly notion and not well thought out. You are reaching. And heck we are making incursions into Pakistan which folks jump up and down each time we do.

Just like Saddam's Iraq was going to hand us our butts during Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
those arse holes as you call them are only protecting the homes and land from the arse hole invaders........ still no reason to trash their homes....empty draws out etc looking for whatever, but smashing up the furniture........why are we there? because we're too gutless to tell the yanks to fight their own war...afterall, they are our biggest trading partner and for that we must bow and scrape to them :angryfire:

Well to be more specific, we're there under NATO, not under the US Coalition..... if you want to stand up and oppose the war, drop out of NATO and then we won't have excuses from other nations to go and fight something that has nothing to do with us.

Problem solved.

Oh and that pipeline is pumping SO MUCH oil now. It isn't even built yet for crying out loud and is just another faux reason for folks to yell...

OIL WAR!!!!

I am sure the US will benefit so much from it if it is even built. :roll:

And the oil in Iraq is pumping so much as well (sarcasm) ...... but that doesn't mean either wern't a factor in the invasions. Just because they have failed so far, doesn't mean they can be ignored as factors.

darkbeaver,

Wasn't there a recent posting about the Pentagon hiring ex-military personnel to haunt blogs and discussion groups to spread disinformation and ridicule conspiracies?

Meh, oh well.... ex-military or not, we can all still call them idiots. What are they gonna do? Get all pissed at us, hunt us down and assasinate us?

Pssh.... they're ex-military for a reason, probably because they're old and fart dust.

What pipeline? There isn't even a pipeline in Afghanistan! They aren't even building one!

Oh right...we really NEEDED to invade a wasteland to get at Iran.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Where do we come up with this stuff?

Usually from the news and other "Real" sources of information:

(Dated May 13th, 2002..... shortly after the US invasion)
Afghanistan plans gas pipeline
BBC News | BUSINESS | Afghanistan plans gas pipeline

"......The construction of the 850-kilometre pipeline had been previously discussed between Afghanistan's former Taliban regime, US oil company Unocal and Bridas of Argentina.

The project was abandoned after the US launched missile attacks on Afghanistan in 1999....."

Funny that after the US missile attacks Afghanistan the Taliban drop the plans of the pipeline, and then suddenly they (allegidly) cause 9/11 which leads up to the invasion of Afghanistan, the rooting out of the Taliban, and now with the new leader of Afghanistan in place, the pipeline plans start up once again.

Hmmmmmm..... yeah I don't know where we get this stuff.

Well if Afghanistan hadn't allowed Al Queda a free haven to train and conduct their operations from they wouldn't be in that position.

And who's country was the one who helped the Taliban/Al Q it build up and form a rule over Afghanistan in the first place against the Soviets?

They took over the country with the support of your country which allowed the free haven to train and conduct their operations.

Nice blame shift, but it ain't working.

Invading Saudi Arabia is a silly notion and not well thought out. You are reaching.

I don't think so.... since a good number of those who were involved in 9/11 were from Saudi Arabia, it would make sense (If you guys actually believed in anything you guys say) to seek justice on them for what happened....... oh, but then that'd put a damper on your relationship with SA and perhaps tighten your oil supplies from them.

Then again, it's far more easier to blame a small country with little power or military force to make an example....... but that didn't work too well now did it?

And heck we are making incursions into Pakistan which folks jump up and down each time we do.

Because it's illegal, it doesn't go with the agreements you made with Pakistan, which is an ally believe it or not, and you have not officially declaired war with Pakistan, so there is no logical excuse to continue to attack your own allies.

Which ally is next?

Just like Saddam's Iraq was going to hand us our butts during Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom.

Well you guys still haven't won anything yet...... so......?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Invading Saudi Arabia is a silly notion and not well thought out. You are reaching. And heck we are making incursions into Pakistan which folks jump up and down each time we do.

maybe because you're bombing Pakistan and still count them as an ally?

Invading a few starving Iraqi goatherders make's that a reounding victory? It was the North Vietnamese that handed the USA their butts

Geopolitics is not your strong point I gather