Franken takes lead in Minnesota Senate race, paper says

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Could this have anything to do with Coleman being under suspicion for corruption?

Democrat Al Franken has pulled ahead of incumbent Republican Sen. Norm Coleman in Minnesota's still unresolved U.S. Senate race, according to a running tally on the Minneapolis Star Tribune's Web site.
Republican Sen. Norm Coleman, left, and Democrat Al Franken have swapped leads in Minnesota's Senate race.

Late Friday morning, the newspaper's tally put Franken ahead by 102 votes. Coleman's lead had fallen to single digits Thursday evening.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Tyr, don’t read too much into it. In a very close election, the lead is going to go back and forth. I think it is still a long time yet before a winner is decided, and it could be either one of them.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Tyr, don’t read too much into it. In a very close election, the lead is going to go back and forth. I think it is still a long time yet before a winner is decided, and it could be either one of them.

What is signifies is that the senate is one more vote closer to being filibuster proof. When he's declared the winner, it's only a matter of one of the old geezer republicans bailing and the states will have a senate with some teeth

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Coleman became a senator by default anyway. He was considered a weak candidate six years ago when he won. His opponent at that time, incumbent senator, Paul Wellstone was highly favored to win.

Just a few days before the election Wellstone died in a plane crash. Democrats nominated former Vice President (under Carter) Walter Mondale (who was in his 80s) just a few days before the election, in a hurry (no primaries, no selection process, nothing. He was simply appointed the candidate). And still the election was very close, Mondale almost won.

Now I assume it takes special talent, special ineptitude to lose to a stand up comic like Franken. But a weak candidate like Coleman managed it. Coleman should never have been a senator in the first place.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Congrats to Stuart Smalley!

"And gosh darn it...people like me!"

The jokes just keep coming!

The NEWEST ADDITION to the Democrat Senate!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Al Franken is again running for the Senate.

His opponent is a Tea Bagging Republican named McFadden who hates welfare but whose company has as its corporate headquarters a tax haven in the Caribbean. As a result he pays no taxes on his corporate profits. He has been slandering Franken in his campaign ads but the Franken campaign has finally swung back with this truth and McFadden has become quite embarrassed.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Some great comment made back a few years ago and today I hope Franken gets off
to a good start. I hope the Democrats take the House and the Senate. This would
prepare the way hopefully for Clinton in the Presidential Campaign.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
What ever happened to Sir Joseph? He really socked it to the forum right wingers and it is great to be reminded of his posts. The forum could sure use more posts like his nowadays!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What ever happened to Sir Joseph? He really socked it to the forum right wingers and it is great to be reminded of his posts. The forum could sure use more posts like his nowadays!
Aagh, he couldn't hold a candle to the old Pollack Y.J........................

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

That's right. You said the Democrats would take back the House and retain control of the Senate in November 2014. :)

SJP got banned. The pressure was way to much for the forum House Husband.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
franken, huh?

and just in time for halloween!

Franken got a 56% approval rating and the poll showed him ahead of McFadden late last month. This was before it was disclosed that his right wing Tea Bagger opponent has not paid his taxes because he has sheltered his money in a foreign account. I imagine the news will not cause the public to view the latter favorably after that revelation.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

What Freedomland needs is an Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders, not Hillary.......