Burning body found in Vancouver shopping cart

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Homeless woman burns to death in shopping cart in Vancouver

One person is dead after being found burning in a shopping cart in downtown Vancouver early Friday morning.

The body was found at Davie Street and Hornby Street around 4:30 a.m. PT.

Patrons at a nearby all-night coffee shop said just minutes before, a homeless man wearing a blanket had run into the shop screaming that somebody was on fire.

But witnesses say he was ignored by the staff and patrons for two or three minutes because there had been a number of incidents involving homeless people fighting and yelling in and around the coffee shop earlier.

Eventually one woman in the coffee shop went out to look and spotted the flames about a block and a half away, witnesses said.

Someone called 911, but the firefighters arrived too late to save the person.

Victim may be 7-Eleven door-opener

Neither police nor firefighters have commented on what might have caused the fire or who the person might have been, but arson investigators were on the scene.

But Judy Graves, the co-ordinator of the tenant assistance program for the City of Vancouver, said she believed the victim was a homeless woman who would frequently stand outside a nearby 7-Eleven store opening the door for customers.

Graves said staff at the store told her the woman had lit candles in an attempt to keep warm.

The death comes during a weeklong cold snap gripping much Canada.

Temperatures plunged to –8 C overnight in Vancouver, with the wind chill making it feel like –13, driving many homeless people to emergency shelters overnight.

Graves, who has been an advocate for the homeless for over two decades, speculated the woman might have chosen to remain on the streets during the cold snap because many shelters do not allow street people to bring their shopping carts inside for the night.

A new shelter that will allow shopping carts is scheduled to open within days, said Graves.

Clean up in Isle 8.....

yes I know that was hateful, that's why I said it..... but it is a pretty bad story. If it was an accident, then it's a pretty sh*tty one, and if it was done on purpose and the person was murders, someone's one sick puppy.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Clean up in Isle 8.....

yes I know that was hateful, that's why I said it..... but it is a pretty bad story. If it was an accident, then it's a pretty sh*tty one, and if it was done on purpose and the person was murders, someone's one sick puppy.

Judging by the location (Davie and Hornby), it might not be accidental. It's a "gay" area and thugs frequent it to beat up "the queers" and homeless on a regular basis. .......and yes, they are very sick puppies

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yeah burning to death, or burning after I die isn't a way I'd prefer to go..... I've already escaped that once in my life and it doesn't look fun.

Hopefully you weren't seriously hurt or anyone you care about was hurt in that fire, Praxius.8O

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Hopefully you weren't seriously hurt or anyone you care about was hurt in that fire, Praxius.8O

9 years old.... house burned down around me, I was the only one in it. I got out intact on my own with no injuries but we lost a few pets in the process. 5 tanks of fish, two hampsters and a cockatiel...... oh and the house of course. The fire apparently started from an electrical shortage in the stove (There's an even more interesting story that goes along with that in regards to a few other homes that caught fire around where I lived, but I'll save that for another time.)

The cockatiel survived though as it flew out the door when the firemen opened it. Some guy called up on the lost and found saying they found a cockatiel, described it perfectly, but then when my dad called him up, he changed his story and said it was brown, not gray...... he must have had enough time to see how tame the bird was. Stick your finger out and he'd fly right to it and start singing.

Oh well.... so long as he was taken care of decently, it's all good.

However in keeping with the fire stories, my dad told me one time when he was in university he and my uncle came accross a car accident where it was on fire. A guy was trapped inside screaming, but the fire was so intense they couldn't get near to save him. He claimed that the smell of a burning human is probably one of the worst smells he ever had to experience.

Added:

Oh and some might be wondering why a 9 year old was left at home alone.

My parents headed off to get geroceries, were sick and tired of trying to manage us three kids at the same time, and told us all to go out and play with our friends while they were gone. Of course, I wasn't around when they said this, as I ran downstairs to watch TV, so as far as I knew, everybody was still home and as far as they knew, I already headed out to hang out with friends like I normally do.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm glad that you made it out okay. I can't imagine how scary that would have been!8O

As far as what your dad had to see, I have heard that it is one of the worst smells that you can ever encounter. I remember reading about a truck driver who had to watch as a 17-year old girl burned to death in a car as there was no possible way to free her. The car she was in was in the middle of a bunch of other cars, as there was a massive pileup on the 401 due to fog. I'll always remember that day as I had missed it(going east from Windsor) by only a few minutes. The truck driver said that even though there was nothing he could do, he would have nightmares about that for the rest of his life. Fire...definitely not a way I would like to go. Horrible.:-(

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
With so many people around, how does one light themselves accidentally on fire with candles and nobody steps in on time? Sounds like maybe an accelerant would be needed create such a fast envelope of flames...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Clean up in Isle 8.....

It's very sad but sh*t happens when you have a justice system that allows criminals to run rampant and a mental health system that turns lunatics out on the street.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
With so many people around, how does one light themselves accidentally on fire with candles and nobody steps in on time? Sounds like maybe an accelerant would be needed create such a fast envelope of flames...

Not to sound callous, but they probably didn't care as much because she was homeless.:-(

She could have something on her clothes that made the flames spread faster, something that she had gotten herself. We may never know for sure.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I so doubt this was an accident. Who sleeps in a shopping cart? How do you sleep in a shopping cart?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I so doubt this was an accident. Who sleeps in a shopping cart? How do you sleep in a shopping cart?

She could have fallen into it while she was on fire.

But you're right. It is doubtful that it was an accident. There are lots of incidents of violence between homeless people, perhaps this was one of those times.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Who sleeps in a shopping cart? How do you sleep in a shopping cart?

Hopefully you never have to find out. If I had to imagine, I'd say maybe an arrangement like a lean-to.

I don't see why it can't be an accident. Using candles for heat and a "modified shopping cart structure" sounds like there could be some flammables. Probably like those case of "spontaneous combustion", where the poor bugger is a smoker...

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
I do hope this was an accident and not "thugs"...however I am a litte confused as to the coverage that this story got...people die in accidents everyday, are the homeless people more important than those with a roof over their heads when it come to the news?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I do hope this was an accident and not "thugs"...however I am a litte confused as to the coverage that this story got...people die in accidents everyday, are the homeless people more important than those with a roof over their heads when it come to the news?

I guess when people burn alive, it carries a little more weight you breaking your wrist by slipping on the sidewalk

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net